Notices

Solo Xmas

Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Solo Xmas

Hullo there,

This year I'm gonna spend Christmas day by myself. Partly, I'm having some issues with my family. Partly, I want to avoid the serious triggers I know I'll get.

I wanna make it a fun rewarding "day alone." All I can think of at the moment is pizza and coke and the old Star Wars movies :=]

Anyone else hanging out by themselves on Christmas? What are you planning on doing? I need a bit of inspiration. Take care.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, I was planning on but am looking into maybe doing some volunteer work to keep me busy. (Never done anything like that before). If I do end up staying home, I'll just buy loads of treats and enjoy the fact I don't have to put up with all the family bickering that usually occurs, have fun.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Andyroo,

I love the old classics at Xmas, Jimmy Stewart, 'It's a wonderful life'...

Do you like cooking? perhaps make something really special...stretch yourself as a pat on the back.

Buy yourself something special for Xmas and wrap it up beautifully and open it on Xmas day...
Turn up the Xmas carols and sing and dance along.

If you are feeling a little lonely, what about joining others at a Meetup group near you...for a Xmas day meetup. ...

Or ring up some of the near by shelters and see if they need any volunteers for serving Xmas lunch...
Old 12-19-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Volunteering is an amazing experience... especially during this time of the year. I highly recommend it.

And later that night, pizza and Star Wars will be all the sweeter because of it
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I second volunteering Andy.

I'll be around for at least part of the day here, as will many others

D
Old 12-20-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Star Wars sounds like a good idea. Then you could follow it with the ultimate Xmas film- Die Hard!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to my moms a few hours away, but boy can I tell you about Star Wars lol My son (to be 13) has a teacher a school ( my age 49) that got him involved in Star Wars a few years back, and still talk about it now

My mom or sister don' t drink, so it's easier for me. I've been sober for about 9 months now---so the urge is not as strong. The thought sometimes arises, but I just swat in off lol.

Have a Merry X-mas!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, volunteer work!!! There are so many lonely people out there in nursing homes. Bring a box of cookies with you; they will love the company and the sweet treat.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow...in the past I hated the thought of being alone at Christmas. But I guess it depends on how you look at it. I love the suggestions here to make the day special for yourself. Wrapping a special gift for yourself, good old movies, a special meal. ..it doesn't have to be a depressing day. It is just a day, after all. And I love the idea of doing volunteer work. I may do that next year. This year I'm having 2 people over for dinner. Am keeping it real simple. But I think I could handle doing nothing. ..in the past, I always drank to cope with being alone...and that really made me depressed. I was on the pity pot for the holiday and really felt sorry for myself. Glad I don't do that anymore!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm having trouble finding out how to go about doing some volunteering work. Does anyone have any experiences or info about where to look. The local websites don't seem to give much information really. I'm starting to think it could really fill a void and help me stay sober.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call local homeless shelters, foodbanks, nursing homes. Or you could call your local United Way for suggestions.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I spent last Christmas Day alone, Andy, and I quite enjoyed it.

Don't feel like it's a day you "must" spend with others, but make sure it's a day you feel special and good.

Lollies for breakfast!

I also bought myself a book to read, co incidentally it was an autobiography about addiction, but yep movies, pizza and generally pampering yourself in peace and staying sober is an awesome day.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Volunteer places get overwhelmed on holidays and the ones I've called you need to be signed up several weeks in advance.

I'm lucky I live in Florida. A short drive to the beach should be about 65 F.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Volenteering is awesome