Notices

Need to stay strong this weekend...

Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Need to stay strong this weekend...

The next three weekends are going to be my biggest battle thus far. Not a lot of social events for me since Thanksgiving, but tomorrow I am headed to DC to visit my younger sister and see the Eagles/Redskins game (which means tailgating and being surrounded by a bunch of drunk people). This has been planned out since April, so it's not like I can just back out. I always loved the tailgating atmosphere, booze, food, more booze. I'm not a huge football fan, so I always drank to enjoy the game. My sister is a die hard Eagles fan as is my bf and he got us these tickets months ago. My bf has been amazing with going to AA meetings with me and also not drinking, but he said this weekend he is going to, which I'm totally okay with, I just am doubting myself. I volunteered to be the DD, so I am hoping that and you guys will keep me sober! Any ideas on how to make tomorrow any easier??
Old 12-19-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Get something special for yourself... something you usually dont have a drink, or something to eat, maybe its something expensive that you usually dont have because you are saving...

Thats really hard.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well being the DD is a good idea, but I honestly don't know how you could make the situation easier for you. Can you miss the tailgating part of the day and just watch the game?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Blueyes im with Anna being surrounded by booze in early sobriety is a big ask and you really got to ask yourself is it worth risking ? i dont mean that badly btw

If your going ahead with it just know were here with you 24h a day stick close to SR my friend
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

No, I understand soberwolf. I feel like if I can conquer this I can conquer almost anything. Made it through a holiday party, a dinner with my drunk dad, and now hopefully this. I planned on making myself a virgin Bloody Mary since I love them so much- or club soda and some juice. Food and good conversation will be my main focus, and of course people watching. Thanks for the support guys!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel like if I can conquer this I can conquer almost anything.
I don;t want to seem less than supportive but I believed similarly once.

The trouble with that is when you make it through the weekend sober, that doesn't give you immunity from all future situations.

I assumed it would and I found to my cost there is still the danger of drinking again, especially if you get complacent after a few 'wins'.

D
Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear Blue,

It is hard... but if you can not avoid it...
I understand you want to continue life...

Well I can only think of take your mobile and come in SR to check in here how you are...
Have something in your hands at all times... cola or juice... chewing gum...
And be firm when you say no I do not want a drink!!!
You can say you are ill or on medication and people leave you alone!

If it gets too much Get Out make an excuse!!!

Be strong you can live sober, just need to adjust to it!
Best luck tomorrow XO
Old 12-19-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueyes618 View Post
I feel like if I can conquer this I can conquer almost anything. Made it through a holiday party, a dinner with my drunk dad, and now hopefully this. I planned on making myself a virgin Bloody Mary since I love them so much- or club soda and some juice. Food and good conversation will be my main focus, and of course people watching. Thanks for the support guys!
Seems that getting through something like that in early recovery would have me sayin," celebrate with a drink!!!"
and what is involved in conquering it?
So, yer walking into temptation, which has been planned, but top it with a virgin bloody Mary??? THAT, IMO, is insane.

And it seems that since ya needed booze to enjoy a football game........ Idk.....

3 things I do when going out to any event alcohol is:
Have the right motive. loving the tailgating and drunk atmosphere is Not a good motive for me.
Be in fit spiritual condition
Have an escape route.
Might be wise to have your phone handy with numbers of people in recovery on it.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don;t want to seem less than supportive but I believed similarly once.

The trouble with that is when you make it through the weekend sober, that doesn't give you immunity from all future situations.

I assumed it would and I found to my cost there is still the danger of drinking again, especially if you get complacent after a few 'wins'.

D
I agree with D. I had 5.5 years of sobriety once and I started hanging out with drinkers again. Now I have 12 days. My experience is I can usually make it through the event without drinking but once I get through it I say "now its MY turn!" and drink. Maybe you can just meet at the game? I don't think your life is worth a football tailgate.

If you must go...I would have phone numbers handy! Are you in AA? If you arent in AA and don't have people to call, I would literally stay glued to SR, pray, maybe make a list of all the reasons you want to stay sober and consequences from your drinking and put that list in your phone or on a piece of paper in your pocket and read it every time you go to the restroom or something. Just be careful. If you sit in the barber chair long enough, you will get a hair cut. If you hang around drinkers long enough you may drink.

Good luck! Listen to others...they may have better advice than me. I think you are doing the right thing by posting your concern on here. It makes you accountable to US! I think you really want to stay sober...otherwise you wouldn't have posted it on here.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not with the majority here. I think you can still enjoy these events and people around you if you are VERY WELL PREPARED and NEVER GET COMPLACENT. I have new-found appreciation and joy of situations in which I used to look to get loaded before. I now go into each one of these ready with the mindset that I DO NOT DRINK, sipping something non-alcoholic instead, being present in the conversations and in the moment, and the rest is easy. Once the possibility of drinking is not allowed in my mind, I don't even get tempted. I wouldn't make a habit of hanging out with people whose main purpose is to get hammered of course, but an occasional event with people who are important to you is okay, in my opinion. But you do have to be well-prepared and aware.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take along a big jug of HOT CHOCOLATE and some peppermint sticks.

And don't let them drink in the car. I also imagine they are Colts fans this weekend
Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

blueeyes, I don't know where you are in your recovery. It's up to you whether you feel ready for it. Sounds like you have a supportive boyfriend, ask him ahead of time to help you if you feel tempted.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

WAIA, the Washington Area Intergroup can help you find a meeting (I suggest calling now and asking so you are prepared) 202-966-9115 (available 24 hours a day)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Thank you guys for the support. I am only 21 days into recovery and I am fully aware that I have a LONG way to go. My sister knows that I am recovering as does my bf. Those are who I will be with. I already have a lot of sweet treats packed, my favorite soda, and now thanks to the advice some hot cocoa my phone will be on at all times in case I get tempted. Tonight I bought myself an Alex and Ani energy bracelet that says "every day is an opportunity" and I plan on wearing it each day to remind myself that I am given the opportunity to stay strong and sober. I have confidence
Old 12-19-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Blueyes you have thought about this you have caring ppl around you

You got us you got your phone on at all times

I still worry not that youl drink just simply at times you might feel overwhelmed and it might manifest itself later & also what D said about after a few 'wins'

Sorry if i sound like party pooper enjoy it & stay sober

your my friend pls dont think im being mean its because i care Blueyes
Old 12-20-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hopefully you made it okay - I'm sure the rest of group probably didn't fare too well.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

I did it!! Successfully did not drink one drop of alcohol during the tailgate or game. It was hard, especially with all the booze around me, but I just kept thinking how much it wasn't worth it. As time went on it got easier, especially when most of the fans around me were beyond intoxicated and acting absolutely ridiculous. There was one man, probably in his late 30s and if I had to guess, I would guess he was a raging alcoholic. I watched him consume at least 25 beers and the first 20 went down like water. It was after that point that he turned into a complete demon, screaming obscenities, dumping beer on people and just being an angry, angry man. A fellow fan commented that this man comes to a lot of games and always behaves that way. He eventually got kicked out, but seeing him just reminded me of who I used to be when I drank like that. Seeing all the mortified faces around him really showed me the effects I had on those around me but was too drunk to notice. Tonight was a big step for me. Now just need to make it through Christmas and New Years!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Blueyes your so....Awesome !!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Being the DD is an awesome idea. My brother called me tonight and told me he was going to his work Xmas party and said he volunteered to be DD. I told him that it was a first and I was really proud of him!

Plus the Redskins are terrible you will not miss much since you don't like Football! Lol!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being the DD is an awesome idea. My brother called me tonight and told me he was going to his work Xmas party and said he volunteered to be DD. I told him that it was a first and I was really proud of him!

Plus the Redskins are terrible you will not miss much since you don't like Football! Lol!