Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm I going insane......living with a dry drunk is driving me crazy!!

Notices

I'm I going insane......living with a dry drunk is driving me crazy!!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm I going insane......living with a dry drunk is driving me crazy!!

Hello,
My fiancée is finally out of prison, where he completed a program He was gone for 2 years, and I waited, I was promised things would be different. Before his incarceration we would drink together frequently, me socially, him on the other hand...hummm. I can't even describe the many black outs, the terrible fights, etc. I choose to stop drinking on December 4, 2013. I wanted a clean and sober life for the both of us. He was released in August this year, at first he seemed very happy and content. However, that soon had changed. He has become distant, irritable, controlling and not to mention he doesn't want anything to do with me intimately. A good friend of mine is a recovering addict, sober 20 years, an active NA member. I have discussed these things w/him, because I had no clue what was wrong. That was he first time I heard the expression "dry drunk". I have tried to understand, I have tried talking, now I stay silent because I don't want to escalate the situation further. I don't want to be the cause of a relapse.

I feel lonely, I feel unwanted and unloved........will this ever end??? Any help in making me understand his disease would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think you need to understand HIS disease unless there is a codependency issue.
I think what ya should do is make some decisions for YOUR life and YOUR future.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And you don't have the power to cause a relapse, which IMO ends with a drink and reads like its already started.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be grateful that you are not married and run for the hills. I'm very sorry to say this but you can't do anything for him. It has to be his choice. There's a family and friends forum that might be more useful for you. I wish you the best and I hope that you make your life what you want it to be!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is he making your life better or worse? What good things (if any) are he bringing to the table?

Just having a body in the house is not a relationship.
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel really bad for your situation. I have been with a abf for 8 years now. been thru the dry drunk, detox 8 times and rehab twice. I have had the same feelings as you and it's very hard not to think it is you. But like tomsteve said you don't have the power to cause a relapse. If it is going to happen it will happen with or without you. You need to take care of yourself and not take things personally. Because of his behavior he is miserable and he wants you to feel miserable to. I've finally learned to not take it personally and when I start to get down on myself to talk to my family and friends, because I know there is nothing I can do to change him. But I can change how I feel.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR Wendycty.
Tomsteve is absolutely correct. You waited for 2 years hoping for an happily ever after which did not materialize and it is time for you to start working on what you can control which is you
When it comes to our loved ones alcoholism, it is good to remember the 3 Cs:
We did not Cause it
We cannot Control it
We cannot Cure it.
You are always welcome to post in this section but I would like to suggest you also visit the friends and family side of SR
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
You will find a lot of support there.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, trying to understand his disease is difficult. I keep trying to tell myself "snap out of it", I'm usually head strong.....but I have seem to hit a brick wall. I love him dearly
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We understand you love him but you need to love yourself more. This is your only life and I don't like hearing that you are feeling down. It's not your fault and you shouldn't feel any obligation. You set boundaries and he hasn't met them. He will keep doing to you what you let him do to you...
Old 12-19-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wndycty101 View Post
Thank you, trying to understand his disease is difficult. I keep trying to tell myself "snap out of it", I'm usually head strong.....but I have seem to hit a brick wall. I love him dearly
What makes you love him dearly???? Is your perception of love a lil off?

You can waste a lot of time trying to understand or you can accept. You can accept and stay in a dysfunctional relationship if you want but from personal experience it didn't do me any good. Nothing but a bunch of mental mayhem.
Then there were the relationships before I got sober.
Best move every woman I was in a relationship with did was to dump me. It was the best move for both them and me. By them continueing to stay in the relationship they were enabling me to continue the sick behavior and also they were going down with me.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you decide to take care of yourself, and find some peace in your life.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I 2nd Anna's comment