Notices

Question about throwing out your stash...

Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Question about throwing out your stash...

Did anyone kind of struggle with throwing out your hidden stashes even though you were committed to sobriety and had no intention of drinking again?

Tomorrow I'm going back home for the first time since quitting to pack a few things, and even though I'm not living there as of right now, I know I need to get rid of my secret stashes so I'm not tempted in the future.

I don't know why the thought of it makes me feel so panicky! I'm fighting myself over doing it and I don't know why! I have made up my mind not to drink so why is this even an issue?

I really need y'all's support on this tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You can't quit if you don't quit. I have a completely dry house which has served me well
Old 12-18-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ya**!

If it seems like a huge obstacle why not wait until you've had more time under your belt before cleaning out the closet?

Sorry, I don't know... The day I decided to quit I got rid of anything and everything, even the coffee... Was increasing the anxiety.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I vote on waiting until you are stronger...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Throw it all out, dump it all out and you will feel better. Commit yourself to your recovery. Keeping it will only be an added temptation to drink again as it is readily available.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also vote to dump that crap out. My husband & son cleaned out our house before I got home from Rehab. That meant, beyond the alcohol, the wine rack, the expensive wine opener my Mom gave as a gift years ago, the cheapie wine openers, the wine glasses,the shot glasses ..... I think you get the idea. I was either done or I wasn't.
Bobbi
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I vote for doing it now.

Its one of those things that gets harder to do if you leave it, brynn

D
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks y'all.

I'm going to dump it...I just don't understand why the thought of dumping it is so hard!

Is it normal to feel this much anxiety about throwing it out?

I have almost two weeks sobriety and am committed to staying sober so you would think I'd be thrilled to get rid of the booze!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very normal yes - it's two forces within you battling - yin and yang, good and bad, black and white.

It's scary to remove our safety net...but necessary

D
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got rid of mine. I had a family dinner tonight and gave away an expensive bottle of wine I got from a client, that was a bit tough, but not too bad after I actually gave it to them. Glad they didn't offer to open it and share! They're a new couple so they probably couldn't wait to get home and drink it themselves without me anyway
Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi brynn - I think that feeling of fear is a normal resistant response from our addiction when we take concrete steps that deepen our commitment to sobriety. I feel it when I share with trusted friends and coworkers that I am using AA to help me not drink. These things cause discomfort because they remove the comfortable subconscious loopholes we allow ourselves that would make it easier to start drinking again.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it is best to remove as much temptation as possible; pouring out could be liberating; I haven't kept a stash for years, which for me means if i can make it home without buying a bottle most of the times means I will make to morning without drinking
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I know exactly how you feel. For a while I wanted to keep a little "just in case" because I couldn't believe I was really capable of being sober.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pouring alcohol down the sink makes me feel very, very strong. I have friends who drink and I do not have a dry house, so when they leave, whatever is left goes down the sink.

Pour it out- get rid of all of it. It really is quite a good way to show it (and you) who's boss.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I vote for doing it now.

Its one of those things that gets harder to do if you leave it, brynn

D
2nd that

You can do it Brynn
Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am a HUGE believer in the absolute necessity to clean out the nest of all realities AND reminders of your drinking. I, too, threw out ALL drinking "paraphanalia". It was painful but liberating. I feel very very safe when I walk in to my home now as it truly is alcohol free.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Old habits die hard.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A six pack of beer remained in my fridge for nearly two years after I got sober. When I was done drinking, I was done drinking. Once in a while a normie friend or neighbor would stop by and take one while we visited with each other. However, this wasn't the smartest thing I could have done nor is it the best idea for certain people. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Have someone there for support.

I never had a secret stash as I drank or used what I had.....
Old 12-19-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Throw it all out. Having temptation that close just makes things that much harder. I can't have booze in the house and stay sober. At least now if I am tempted to drink, I have to actually go out and buy something. That's often time enough for me to fight back and avoid a relapse.

Being sober is all about battling that thing between your ears. It is amazing the lengths your own brain will go to convince itself to do the wrong thing.