SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Cravings Turning to Fear (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353915-cravings-turning-fear.html)

SoberD 12-18-2014 02:07 PM

Cravings Turning to Fear

At 25 days here (and feeling quite well), I had a thought this morning: Initially in my first couple weeks after quitting, I definitely thought plenty about the act of drinking, feeling drunk, partying, etc. What's interesting to me is that now that some more time has passed, rather than craving, I feel myself being more and more afraid of the booze itself - almost like a downright fear of the stuff because of where I know it would take me. I suppose it is a healthy and constructive fear but was wondering if anyone has a similar perception of the bottle after achieving some sober time?

Jsbodhi 12-18-2014 02:22 PM

I feel the same, I'm afraid of it too.

Soberwolf 12-18-2014 02:30 PM

Well done on day 25 Sober D

Yes i have that fear that if i drink i know exactly where it takes me

Do i want to drink No ......Am i scared to drink .. you betcha i am

JanieJ 12-18-2014 03:16 PM

I don't know if it's fear exactly, but I definitely see it in a different light these days-poison in a bottle.

I think I fear myself, that is, my addiction, more than the actual booze.

Jsbodhi 12-18-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JanieJ (Post 5084048)
I don't know if it's fear exactly, but I definitely see it in a different light these days-poison in a bottle.

I think I fear myself, that is, my addiction, more than the actual booze.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me.

strategery 12-18-2014 03:38 PM

I am not that much in front of you in terms of sober time, but I do not fear alcohol.
I have to ask, why do you fear it? You are giving it power by fearing it.

soberclover 12-18-2014 03:47 PM

I agree. I am afraid of drinking alcohol as it is very clear to me now what will happen if I do. I'm not sure how much has to do with my general acceptance of where alcohol always takes me OR if I'm remembering the last traumatic ending to my drinking episode where I ended up in the intensive care unit with a brain injury that I still deal with.

Thepatman 12-18-2014 04:14 PM

Great thread! I can't rap my head around how I feel about the bottle.
Now that I think about it, I do sense a fear, but not towards the object itself, I guess fear of were I was, fear of failure.

I'll have to analyze this one further, thanks for the food for toughs.

mistory5 12-18-2014 04:40 PM

I'm very afraid! But I choose to view it as a healthy fear and not as a weakness. After all, I'm afraid of drinking bleach too.

SoberD 12-18-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mistory5 (Post 5084252)
After all, I'm afraid of drinking bleach too.

Haha, thanks for the good chuckle :)

Impurrfect 12-18-2014 05:42 PM

I felt fear, at first, then respect. I think I needed to go through the fear to learn the respect of my poison. It WILL try to kill me, given a chance.

I also believe that we go through a period of grief for our chosen substance. Anger, and fear are but a few of the feelings we grow through. Working through those feelings helped me stay in recovery, and I wish the same for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Serenidad 12-18-2014 09:07 PM

I'm TERRIFIED of alcohol now! It's like a deadly weapon to me. This is a good thing...a healthy fear...at least for me. :)

VikingGF 12-18-2014 09:57 PM

Petrified of it in the beginning. Now I'm somewhat in control and I give it the healthy respect it deserves. If I drink, it will eventually kill me and all that I love. Never will I underestimate it's power if I pick it up, and I remain wary of being too confident that I have it beaten. But it doesn't scare me anymore. Well, not that much.

Briar 12-18-2014 10:03 PM

Yes, I do feel afraid of it. When I'm around it, I feel like it's going to get me.

Dee74 12-18-2014 10:41 PM

Like Amy, in time for me, fear turned to a respect - not a good respect, but the kind of respect you give a raging tide, a loaded gun or a busy highway....

D

Buggirl 12-18-2014 10:45 PM

Congrats! I view it as an enemy now, a friend that I used to love that has committed an unforgivable thing against me! It has held me to ransome so many times, I am glad we don't have anything to do with each other anymore!