Notices

Do you feel powerless?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

My life is unmanagable because I am an addict.

And that's also why I am powerless over alcohol.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know for me it is very important that I have sovereignty over my own sobriety. It is my recovery...my program. I have utilized AA and I may again someday. There are many features and benefits to the program, but for me, I know that my own divine wisdom is NOT the problem, my addiction is. I may need help to battle that addiction, but I'm not down with slogans like "your best thinking got you here" that somehow seem to undermine my own intelligence. My addiction got me here..not my wisdom.

That being said, my definition is like Carl's, I am powerless over alcohol..not my recovery. I have to admit that booze will kick my arse everytime I enter that ring. I can't outsmart that one.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I managed to stay drunk no matter what. I now manage to stay sober by not drinking. No matter what...
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My wife said it's OK if I post that I don't feel powerless.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Donny
Sounds like you are open to listening to what others think about alcoholism and are willing to take suggestions on how to deal with it. I think maybe that should be a Step 0, before Step 1, since without it, the rest of the Steps wouldn't be possible.

Don't worry about hesitating talking in the meetings. it can be very intimidating and some people have very strong views on some things, as you already found out. There's a pretty good chance someone else at the meeting you attend is wondering what powerless means also. If one of those people asked the same question, they would probably get the same responses you would get. Nothing personal. John
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
I still don't feel my drinking is unmanageable, though I could definitely be wrong.
Step one does not say my drinking is unmanageable, it says life has become unmanageable.

Again, I could not see how much I had to spin daily to keep drinking, it only came to light when I stopped.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It doesn't you are powerless. You don't have to say you are powerless. It says you are powerless OVER ALCOHOL.

Does that help you understand the step?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You said that you immediately knew that drinking messed up past opportunities. To me, that means drinking was making your life unmanageable. Some of us are luckier than others and are able to throw the towel in before that unmanagability completely destroys our lives. I believe you might be one of those lucky ones. It sounds from your original post and experience though that if you continued drinking, you'd at some point reach the same unmanagability that many of us have.

As for the powerless part, for me it's as simple as knowing I'm no match for alcohol. Once I pick up a drink, alcohol is in control. I lose. Alcohol wins. I have less power. I'm therefore power-less.

Took a long time for me to really accept that in my bones though. I wrote a blog, "If only she knew,'" that tells the story with my complete admission of powerlessness. Regarding alcohol. I now consider myself very powerful in many other ways. And will always have a will. My will. That in turn over to the care of God. That's been working out pretty well for me .
Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
I don't know Donny. The thought of even attempting to manage alcohol again absolutely terrifies me... I'm more comfortable just not touching it ever again and I freely admit that. Why even put myself in that position?

I'm not sure that's in the best interest of anyone.
Let me clarify, the only way I can manage my alcoholism is by not drinking ever again. If I'm unable to abstain, that shows I can't manage it. By managing my alcoholism I mean I'm never touching it again.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very good thread for me
Old 12-18-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still don't feel my drinking is unmanageable,
Neither did I...even when I was drinking from sunup to bedtime

Don't let the dialogue in you head, and a little bit of pride convince you there is no problem Donny.

Take from one who's been there...that's a very silly thing to do.

D
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let me clarify, the only way I can manage my alcoholism is by not drinking ever again. If I'm unable to abstain, that shows I can't manage it. By managing my alcoholism I mean I'm never touching it again.
that's not what I thought you meant - but ok, cool.

D