SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anonymity (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353865-anonymity.html)

scottcw88 12-18-2014 04:24 AM

Anonymity

Anonymity: lack of individual or outstanding features; anonymous. In reference to the 12th tradition which, in part reads "ever reminding us to place principles before personalities" What could this mean?:a108::discuss

sugarbear1 12-18-2014 04:36 AM

it's about listening to people share at AA meetings.

gracetuesday 12-18-2014 04:44 AM

I think it means respecting everyone - even though we may not agree or like them.... that the principles of the programs, and of the steps are far more important than individual differences.

jazzfish 12-18-2014 05:08 AM

The long form of the 12th Tradition is stated as:

"And finally, we of Alcoholics Anonymous believe that the principle of anonymity has an immense spiritual significance. It reminds us that we are to place principles before personalities; that we are actually to practice a genuine humility. This to the end that our great blessings may never spoil us; that we shall forever live in thankful contemplation of Him who presides over us all."

anattaboy 12-18-2014 09:14 AM

It means I'm a piece, not the whole enchilada.

fini 12-18-2014 09:24 AM

principles before personalities to me means that conduct is to be based on a principle and not on whether i like someone or don't like someone.
that i deal with people based on principles and not based on "who" they are, or what they might do.

that's my theory, anyway.
i fall far short of it.

Taking5 12-18-2014 10:19 AM

Also we are not told to be anonymous. We are told to be anonymous at the level of press, radio & film. The concern was if someone "famous" became the "face of AA", then they relapsed, what would that do to the fellowship? This also speaks to "principles before personalities".

When I first got sober, someone my sister knew who was in recovery was able to call on me while I was still in the hospital. If he was so anonymous that no one knew he was in recovery, my sister wouldn't have known it, and he couldn't have helped me.

So anonymity is not intended to be hidden in your local community unless you wish to be anonymous. My sister's friend broke his own anonymity locally (not at the level of press, radio or film) which allowed him to be there for me. This was his anonymity to break and not against the traditions.

Had he said to others "Taking5 and I are in AA together", this would be breaking my anonymity, and is obviously not OK.

Fly N Buy 12-18-2014 11:01 AM

Anonymity takes on greater meaning than just who we are. It also refers anonymously helping others - alcoholic or not, in a fashion where no reward/recognition or even our name matters. God's use of us, if you will :)

The evolution of principles / virtues in AA follow the steps as numbered 1-12 and what I was taught......but, I think there are others. The link below many AA'ers look to, in my experience. God Bless Barefoot!
Honesty
Hope
Faith
Courage
Integrity
Willingness
Humility
Brotherly love
Justice
Perseverance
Service

A.A. History - The AA Principles and Virtues