Notices

What was the best sober moment of 2013 ?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm going to be greedy and post another as well. Back in October 2012 I first started my journey by calling my boss on a Sunday afternoon while drunk, and telling her I was an alcoholic and that I needed rehab - which I did. I was gone for a month. When I returned to work I felt awkward, was under the microscope about my work and hours and such. Fast forward to November 2014. I turned fifty and my mother gave me a card with a missing front cover. She liked the sentiment but said the front was "inappropriate" and she put her own decorations on the card. The following week my boss, the same one I had drunkenly called two years ago, also gave me a card. It was the same one my mother gave me but the cover was intact. It was a picture of a martini glass and Olive. It was a good affirmation of how far I have come because I was no longer Ruby the alcoholic problem child at work. I was me and my boss didn't think about the alcohol connotations in selecting a card because she didn't call to mind all the stuff from two years ago.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great thread!

I am in year 2 and this year has been about accomplishing the things that I missed while drinking. Top days are:

1. June 17 - graduating with my masters. all of my family flew out to be with me.
2. Dec 15 - moving in with my partner, on the path to marriage. I didn't date for last 8 years of drinking.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Reading these is really uplifting you guys, thank you for sharing!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Thank you Sober Wolf for this thread. I read it earlier today and have spent the morning thinking of all the good things that have happened this year since I stopped drinking. There are a lot of things I'm grateful for. Reading all of these posts is inspiring.

My happiest memory is a glorious September Sunday afternoon when my son and I took a road trip with my ailing dog, Charlee. If you live in the South, you know low humidity days are few and far between but when they happen, you embrace them. This was a beautiful day - Carolina blue sky and cooler temps. Charlee loved riding in the car, so i put him in the back seat and we drove out to a State park about 2 hours away. It was way out in the country and as we drove down the road, Charlee had his head out the window and he was so happy. There were all these bird sitting on the electric wires, and my son and I laughed when I honked the horn and they all flew away. We couldn't walk much at the park because Charlee couldn't go far, but he loved just being there. On the way home, we stopped for food and Charlees got a plain cheeseburger. It was just truly the most perfect day. Charlee died 10 days later and if I had been drinking, the trip never would have happened. I wouldn't have that last really happy memory with him. I'm so grateful.