Notices

Went to my first AA - and left pissed off

Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Went to my first AA - and left pissed off

First let me preface this by saying that I've been crappy all day lol, I think being almost 3 days sober for the first time in a long time is making me a bit crabby, and usually I'm a quite happy guy

So I went to my first AA meeting and was terrified. I was quickly put at ease, seem like a really good group of people. They took me and 2 other newbies into another room and we went over the first step. One of the "mentors" said something that just pissed me off. The other two newbies are currently in treatment, I am not. When he found this out he said, "Going it alone huh?" First off, NO! I'm not doing it alone, I'm at AA aren't I? I've admitted that I can't do it alone and I'm reaching out for help! Of course I didn't say that, I just said "yes", to which he replied "That's how I started out too, didn't take long before I ended up in treatment. You'll find our quickly. I'd be shocked if you can do it without treatment." **** YOU.

I don't know what is pissing me off more. The fact that he said that to me, or the fact that it's bothering me so much. I hit a bottom, had some clarity, and for the first time WANT TO STOP, something I've said before but never actually meant. I'm starting a great job in 4 weeks and have plenty of time now to get my head clear. I'm planning on going to AA once a day and spending a lot of time with a friend of mine that's been sober for 2 years. I initially said I'd go to AA if I had a slip up before starting this job.......I decided it wouldn't hurt being proactive. So bottom line, **** him, and I''m letting it go. I'm a drunk, which means I'm selfish. I'm doing what I have to do for me. I'll continue to go to meetings because hearing other peoples struggles helps me, again, this disease is so selfish. I guess telling my struggles could help someone else as well, and that's a good thing.

So, whatever, I'm letting it go. Don't tell me I can't do this without treatment, cause I'll prove you wrong. It would be one thing if I was saying I could do it on my own, cause I've proven that wrong hundreds of times.....

Grrrr.....I'm letting it go.

Good news on my 2nd day sober, not only did I go to AA, I went back figure skating, which I haven't done in a long time (it's not fun hungover). I now feel calm and aside from my AA mishap I'm feeling pretty good. No cravings yet, and I have a 24 hour chip in my wallet. Here's to another sober day!

Donny
Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm "going it alone" too, with a meeting every day. I don't know what to say about that guy. I probably wouldn't like to be spoken to like that either.

The only thing I can suggest is just find a different meeting on Tuesdays. Not every meeting is a good fit. I went to a Young Peoples meeting that didn't exactly blow my skirt up, so I found one that better suited me for that week day.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cannot tell you how many meetings I've left so frustrated, angry, in tears, depressed. It is understandable. It's a group of drunks helping other drunks. Of course they are going to say and do stuff that is just off, wrong, opinionated and/or none of their business. But then normies do that all of the time, too.

If someone asked this guy what he said, he'd think he was encouraging you to ____ whatever. Even things said with the kindest words by the most well meaning person can land WRONG. It isn't you, and it isn't this guy. It is just one of those things that happen from time to time.

Glad you got on here to rant about it. That's what we are for!!! And I'm soooo glad you are on SR. We need you. It takes us all working this together to make it happen. YAY for us!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm better already after venting lol. And yes, he pissed me off but I'm sure that wasn't his intention. Other then that moment, he, and everyone else, seem like a good group. I'll go again tomorrow. If I don't like it I live in a great area with meetings all over the place so no worries.

I'm glad I have a place to rant and so does everyone else here! It helps so much. And then after the rant, when you go back and read your post you just feel like "Um......why are you so mad?" lol

Goodnight all. Here's to a happy, non-dry mouthy, headache free, beautiful morning!

Donny
Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I REALLY like your energy towards this. Hell yeah! haha

Whenever you feel doubt, come back to your post. Hell, I might too
Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad I have a place to rant and so does everyone else here! It helps so much. And then after the rant, when you go back and read your post you just feel like "Um......why are you so mad?" lol
Ain't THIS the truth?!?!?! Somehow venting to someone who will understand bc we've been there, too, seems to take all the power out of it! You do have a wonderful energy about you.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I never went to treatment.

Sorry your first experience at a meeting included an idiot.
AA does have people from all walks of life. You'll come across people in the program with sobriety that you don't care for, much like any other group.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Ain't THIS the truth?!?!?! Somehow venting to someone who will understand bc we've been there, too, seems to take all the power out of it! You do have a wonderful energy about you.
AMEN! No reason sobriety can't be exciting. Yes, it's hard and etc etc etc etc etc, oh and difficult, and ****** at times, and etc etc etc..........................what was I saying???? Oh ya, but even though the hard times happen, good times happen as well. Waking up sober this morning felt AMAZING, and I can't wait to go to bed so I can feel that wonderful feeling again!

Night
Old 12-16-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I went it alone too, just picked up my 2 year chip. The good thing about AA is that there are all sorts of people who are there and sharing. The bad thing about AA is that there are all sorts of people who are there and sharing. Lol

I like that you took a step back, you thought, "what a tool" but you also thought about why it bothered you. That to me is sober thinking and what we strive for daily.

I will say, and I am in no way a representative of AA, that I think you're off to a great start. Try a few different meetings, they all have a different vibe. And congrats on 3 days.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You'll find people at those meetings that say they could never of gotten sober without going to treatment. Then you will hear others say that treatment is a waste of time. You'll hear all kinds of opinions. Some will make sense to you, others won't.
The best thing you said is that you are still going to meetings. That takes a lot of strength and determination. Many people would use what you went through as a excuse to say screw it and never go back. I did that many times and the result was always bad.
Just try to stay focused on why you are there, and don't let others' opinions distract you from that. It's NOT EASY, but it can be done. You now have the opportunity to be selfish for all the good reasons. Keep going, no matter what!!!! John
Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
Don't tell me I can't do this without treatment, cause I'll prove you wrong.
When I WAS in treatment, my roommate (who had been in and out many times) kept telling me I was BSing myself, and he was certain I would drink again. I committed quietly to proving him wrong, and 30 sober years later I feel confident thinking I did .

Treatment is a requirement for sobriety. Changing, IMO is. AA is an awesome tool to help you do that.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Donny, I love your attitude. Your post made me laugh out loud. I'm in total agreement with you. The guy is an a$$. He does not know you, so how can he have the slightest idea about your possible need for treatment. Don't let him get you down.

When you have a bit more time, tell him how wrong he was and how unhelpful it was to hear that sort of thing at your first meeting. Until then I would avoid him as much as possible and "stick with the winners".

I have a gut feeling you're going to be ok
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AA is full of drunks (like me), not licensed professional therapists. Don't let the actions of 1 person sour you on the whole program. AA and this website helped me get and stay sober, not a treatment facility.

I've met people in AA that I might give a kidney to, if they needed one. And I've met people in AA who could fall off of the face of the earth for all I care.

Go to a lot of meetings and you will meet some of both kinds. And the vast majority of people will be in the middle between those two extremes.

Then hang around the former, not the latter.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's strange! First of all, I've never heard of a new person being taken to a "separate room" (weird!) but I've also NEVER heard someone say something like he did! I've been to hundreds of AA meetings since 2008.

I would go to a different meeting. That person is obviously not well. Put that resentment aside and deal with it when you get to your 4th & 5th step. There is always one ******** that says something stupid...it's still the real world.

Just focus on staying sober! You can do this!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oops.... just reread my earlier post, too late to edit....

What I typed and must have gotten spellchecked, was:

Treatment ISN'T a requirement for sobriety. Changing, IMO is.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You will learn what will work for you. It's your recovery, not his. I'd be pissed, too.

Bunnez
Old 12-16-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This forum rocks. I think our "treatment" is something that needs to be personalized for all of us. We may all abuse the same drug, but our reasons for the abuse, how they have affected us, and the issues left once we are sober enough to see reality is different for everyone.

I love having this forum. I may have had an issue going back to AA after this experience, but having the great support here has helped. I know it's horrible to say, but I really feel different these days and ready to be sober. My treatment (which will most likely change) will be this forum, AA, therapy, and possible meds. That sounds like treatment to me!

Night all, stay strong and fabulous and sober!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
First let me preface this by saying that I've been crappy all day lol, I think being almost 3 days sober for the first time in a long time is making me a bit crabby, and usually I'm a quite happy guy

So I went to my first AA meeting and was terrified. I was quickly put at ease, seem like a really good group of people. They took me and 2 other newbies into another room and we went over the first step. One of the "mentors" said something that just pissed me off. The other two newbies are currently in treatment, I am not. When he found this out he said, "Going it alone huh?" First off, NO! I'm not doing it alone, I'm at AA aren't I? I've admitted that I can't do it alone and I'm reaching out for help! Of course I didn't say that, I just said "yes", to which he replied "That's how I started out too, didn't take long before I ended up in treatment. You'll find our quickly. I'd be shocked if you can do it without treatment." **** YOU.

I don't know what is pissing me off more. The fact that he said that to me, or the fact that it's bothering me so much. I hit a bottom, had some clarity, and for the first time WANT TO STOP, something I've said before but never actually meant. I'm starting a great job in 4 weeks and have plenty of time now to get my head clear. I'm planning on going to AA once a day and spending a lot of time with a friend of mine that's been sober for 2 years. I initially said I'd go to AA if I had a slip up before starting this job.......I decided it wouldn't hurt being proactive. So bottom line, **** him, and I''m letting it go. I'm a drunk, which means I'm selfish. I'm doing what I have to do for me. I'll continue to go to meetings because hearing other peoples struggles helps me, again, this disease is so selfish. I guess telling my struggles could help someone else as well, and that's a good thing.

So, whatever, I'm letting it go. Don't tell me I can't do this without treatment, cause I'll prove you wrong. It would be one thing if I was saying I could do it on my own, cause I've proven that wrong hundreds of times.....

Grrrr.....I'm letting it go.

Good news on my 2nd day sober, not only did I go to AA, I went back figure skating, which I haven't done in a long time (it's not fun hungover). I now feel calm and aside from my AA mishap I'm feeling pretty good. No cravings yet, and I have a 24 hour chip in my wallet. Here's to another sober day!

Donny
Well done on second day sober! I sometimes feel like this at AA as I too haven't been in rehab, but it will pass! People shouldn't judge and tbh, when I hear what those that have been in rehab have done and drank, I laugh in my head as I drank probably 3 times more, just I held down a job etc! Don't let it put you off, stay strong!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Definitely try another meeting. We hear about people having bad experiences at AA, but they seem to be the extreme exception. AA is just a bunch of people, and you can always run across someone like this who maybe is trying to help but probably not going about it properly.

When I went to my first meeting, everyone was super nice. Nobody really asked me anything or tried to tell me to do anything. They told me about the program and let me make up my own mind.

Definitely don't let one person sour you on the program. However you need to find what works for you.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i have been going to aa for over 10 years and some people still **** me off : ) the difference is i can smile at them today and i dont take it home with me and get all worked up about it
people **** me off all over the place not just in aa rooms but the problem is me and how i deal with it

if i keep on letting people get to me and **** me off then i am not going to grow much i have to change and let people be

its not easy to do and its always ongoing work in progress