Notices

Antabuse.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse.

My relapses normally come out of nowhere, when they do occur. I don't seem to have that pause between "thought of using" and reaction sometimes. Not all the time - but when my relapses happen - it's like a switch.

Pretty much EVERY SINGLE time I've relapsed I woken up in the morning thinking I wasn't going to drink that day. No pre-meditated planning.

Then something triggers me thoughout the day and it's like "flip" of the switch and I'm off.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for antabuse. Maybe the knowledge of getting extremely ill from drinking will give me that pause between "thought of using" and reaction that I need to get through the tougher moments.

It would be used, obviously, in combination with counselling and AA, which I am already doing.

Thoughts/opinions?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
My relapses normally come out of nowhere, when they do occur. I don't seem to have that pause between "thought of using" and reaction sometimes. Not all the time - but when my relapses happen - it's like a switch.

Pretty much EVERY SINGLE time I've relapsed I woken up in the morning thinking I wasn't going to drink that day. No pre-meditated planning.

Then something triggers me thoughout the day and it's like "flip" of the switch and I'm off.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for antabuse. Maybe the knowledge of getting extremely ill from drinking will give me that pause between "thought of using" and reaction that I need to get through the tougher moments.

It would be used, obviously, in combination with counselling and AA, which I am already doing.

Thoughts/opinions?
hey,

I too have thought of asking my doctor for antabuse. I'm gonna visit him tomorrow and ask him what them pills are all about. I remember from school that the biggest problem with antabuse was the person would just not take them. They get them and all but associate them with a party/buzz killer. And would instead avoid taking them.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mrrryah i understand what your saying but everyone thinks before they drink thats what causes a lot of people then go and drink

What you got to do is learn from the impulse of wanting to drink to deal with something to just dealing with something

Reach each and every time you feel your caught up in cravings straight away dont let it fester

Nobody is forcing you to drink Mrrryah your choosing to rather than reaching out

i understand its tough i didnt think id ever get sober then one day i realised the only way im going to get on top of this was with work towards my sobriety and realising the only way to stay sober was stay sober it became obvious the more time i stayed sober

i also accepted that this was for life (for me anyway) i know you can do this Mrrryah and am completly in your corner

I would vote yes for Antabuse to help you stay sober
Old 12-16-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Mrrryah1-

I think one of the benefits of the medication is that it pretty much eliminates any opportunities to drink, especially in times weakness. In-other-words, should a heavy craving arise, or any other trigger, this medication 'should' make it so you can't drink, thereby forcing you to find another coping mechanism. So, pop one first thing in the morning, then you'll know it will have a booze free day, regardless on how much you want that drink. (I suppose that's the theory anyhow)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you can't identify your thoughts of drinking before you drink, how will Antabuse change that?

the fear of being drunk and wreaking havoc on myself and others ( or worse) is enough for me to pause and think when I'm triggered--my Emotional Antabuse
Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If your relapses "come out of nowhere" I'd not risk antabuse. You can get violently sick on that, and I've even read of people dying from drinking on it. I'd work on the inner you, the soul, before taking a pill to prevent drinking. I'd never take it myself, I'm too afraid of it.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post

I'm thinking of asking my doctor for antabuse.
seen it in action when a guy at work drank on it (not a pretty picture)
is of great help for many
at least until we get our sober feet planted
MM
Old 12-16-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I'm gonna ask my
Doctor about it
Old 12-16-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beings how the majority here is rather against antabuse and now yer gonna talk to yer doctor about it, I'm thinkin yer lookin for someone to say go for it. What I see happening
Is the underlying issues still won't get faced then one day youll quit tAking it for the purpose of gettin drunk, which I'm thinkin yer gonna look into how long after taking it is it safe to drink.

It's your choice. Best of luck to ya. I've heard toooooonnnnnnsssss of experiences described just as I stated above.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I thought you had just completed a 4th and 5th step with your sponsor. What does she think about it?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

work step 7 now. get your 8th step list together (it starts with the 4th step inventory) and get through step 9. Live in 10, 11, 12 and do that now.

if you need or want antabuse, go for it, but certainly complete and continue those steps.

hugs and love to you
Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I thought you had just completed a 4th and 5th step with your sponsor. What does she think about it?
Ya know, ya got me thinkin, Carlotta. I could be wrong but I thought the bb says something about The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.

Idk why but yer post is having me think someone should back up 4 or 5 steps.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

Idk why but yer post is having me think someone should back up 4 or 5 steps.
I was thinking exactly the same thing

Last edited by Dee74; 12-17-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a friend who took it. She drank on it and ended up in the er. She said that the er staff did not treat her nicely because they had no sympathy for someone drinking on Antabuse and taking up their time. then she learned how to plan binges. She waited til the Antabuse was out of her system and then drank. Then she'd go back on it. It did not work for her.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think asking your doctor about it is a good idea. It's not for everyone, and it is not a permanent solution, but if it can help it would be worth exploring in conjunction with your existing plan.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have found antabuse to be a lifesaver. Absolutely no side effects that I have noticed unless I was to drink with it. It is the only thing that has kept me sober for any length of time. It takes the impulsiveness out of the equation. You know that you can't drink until you have it totally out of your system, at least 10-14 days. There have been people who have had severe problems if they chooses to drink on it, but I figure if I'm going to go to the trouble of getting it, paying for it, and taking it, why sabotage myself and make myself sick. I say go for it. It would have helped me long before if I had started taking it sooner, and saved me lots of sickness, money problems, and problems with the law. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but for some people like me it works miracles.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're doing good. I don't think anyone's judging, just being kinda goofy. For you, it's serious biz though. If the meds can help you from picking up and help you get a head start, look into it. Consider the pros and cons, and follow your heart. If you do take it, don't drink. I know, thank you captain obvious:-) But it too is serious biz. Keep it up, you're doing good!
-Ted
Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts have been removed:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never tried antabuse Mrryah so I have no experience to share.
Only your Dr can tell you if it's suitable for you.

I'm glad you're keeping up the counselling and AA though cos I think our problems go a little deeper than just drinking...alcohol wasn't my problem, I was.

it's good to try and fight these things at the source

D
Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I took it for 15 - 16 months and I'm glad I did because I wanted every bit of help I could find.

I haven't had a drink since I quit taking it (actually, since the day I walked into the treatment center).