Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, Tetra. Sending you hugs and good thoughts
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have you considered that you mom may have to give up her martyrdom
as the "long suffering mother"
now that you're sober and employed?

She may be resisting this change in you because it means she too will have to change.
My mother told me "you never finish anything" for thirty plus years, but actually I "managed to finish" a BA, two MA degrees and a PhD. She just couldn't "allow" me to outgrow her opinion.

I think you are doing great. Don't let what she says affect you so much--maybe practice more detachment whenever she opens her mouth.

I also think no contact would be best. Barring that, minimize and detach.

Hugs
Old 12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
"non-chosen relationships" can be some of the most confusing because most societies perpetuate the myth that all mothers have their children's best interest in mind. Not all mothers do, and words can bruise just as much as hands. I have followed your posts for a long time. I might suggest reading up on toxic mothers…it might help.
Thank-you for this, Janie!

Tetra, I too read and follow your posts and my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you are still struggling with your mother and her nastiness. I truly relate to you, Tetra.

Janie is right on here. I also believe my mother struggles from a personality disorder. I really wish I had the wisdom to cut ties with my mother years ago. I just figured if I tried a bit harder or gave a bit more, then she would come around and we would have a "normal" loving mother-daughter relationship. It took me years to finally accept the fact that that dream was not possible to obtain. And, it was not for a lack of effort on my part. In the end, I finally had enough. I have not talked to her in over four years and I do not miss her in the slightest.

Only you can decide when you have had enough and that you do not deserve her constant negative criticisms (by the way, constant negative criticism is a means of control).

In reading your posts and remembering your history, I too think it is best for you to go no contact for a while. I know it is sad and probably not what you want. But, it seems like it would be in your best interest.

You have worked so hard and have come so far. And you deserve to be happy and you should surround yourself with people who appreciate you and build you up.

And, CONGRATULATIONS to you on your sobriety!!!

Hang in there, Tetra. You are doing an amazing job. You should be very proud of yourself! xoxo
Old 12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Today I told her that I did not wish to talk to her because she says things things that are not true and she hurts me. Then I hung up the phone.

So we shall see...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

sometimes it is the people we are closest to that can be the most insensitive...sending you hugs

Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Thank you all.

Today I told her that I did not wish to talk to her because she says things things that are not true and she hurts me. Then I hung up the phone.

So we shall see...
Good for you, Tetra! You have set a boundary. This is very healthy for you. Don't let guilt enter your mind. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Stay strong, my friend!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hugs Tetra! You did a good thing setting a boundary. You know the things your mother says aren't true but it doesn't diminish the hurt. A time out from her? A break?

You are really doing well. We are with you.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have caused alot of pain. It has been almost three years but my family still has fears, resentments and anxiety. There is nothing I can do to help them except do the right thing today. Time. Patience. These are qualities I don't have, being a true alcoholic, but I am working for progress. You mom is going take time. Assure her and move on, unfortunately, this is not your problem
Old 12-17-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to go no contact because me setting boundaries for my folks just made them worse - I was even more the ungrateful son that way - 'after all we've done for you....'

I finally worked out that trying to change them, me setting boundaries for them, was futile. I can only set boundaries for myself.

My boundary was to go no contact for a while - and when we did reconvene, my parents changed a little - by their choice...and so did I

D
Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done!

See how it goes indeed

I'm proud of you--it isn't easy to change your parental programming but you are doing it.

I thinks some extra nice hot chocolate mix belongs in your before-Christmas stocking. . .
Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Thank you all.

So we shall see...
Well, you took my advice in advance of my offering. Well done.
But I would not waste any more breath next time.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 6 months of sobriety