Notices

Lots of Anxiety

Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lots of Anxiety

I signed up here to learn more about my problem with alcohol from others. I am not sure how to deal with it, but my drinking is hurting my family most (among other things) and I need to do something. I have developed an issue with anxiety so I use alcohol to relax. I also have trouble sleeping so I drink to "sleep". I plan my day around drinking, from what I am going to do when I'm hungover, and when I will have my next drink. I go out of my way to get more alcohol when I run out. I kept justifying my drinking to my wife but its been long enough now she is over it. I went to AA for a week, about a year ago, but didn't make an honest effort to stop drinking.

I need to stop drinking today. I have lots of anxiety about not drinking tonight. Maybe I should go to an AA meeting. Maybe I should open up to my wife (I read someone else did this); I know she is supportive. Anything but pick up a bottle.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I joined here today and felt a weight had been taken off my shoulders just be opening up to others.

One thing I have learned from reading of others experiences is that anxiety and sleep problems are going to 'lurk' for a long time yet (I'm only 2 days sober) so I am trying to think of two things: firstly, getting through the next few hours and secondly, how much better my life will be this time next year.

I'm sorry I can't give you any experienced advice but wanted to say I can empathise and wish you every luck
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SkaterDude, First of all quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself. Once you have sufficient time not drinking most of the anxiety should disappear and sleep will also come in time. One day you will even have great dreams and awake feeling great. Google the 12 promises of AA, they are all true with enough time sober. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Secondly, quitting should help your relationships improve dramatically. If your wife is supportive, it may be best to tell her what you want to do with your drinking and ask for her help. But, YOU are the only one that can do it.

There are plenty of people here, at AA meetings and in your life who will help.

Be patient with yourself. Depending on how much you drink, how long you drank, and your individual body chemistry it will take some time to feel better. Stick with it.

There are people here who want to see you succeed! We are all in this together!

Stay with it!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thank you for such an honest post. Stick around and read and post because there is a lot of support here. Alcohol can numb anxiety for short period of time but then it actually can leave you more anxious afterwards. Anxiety is no fun to deal with. Are you able to see a doctor and/or a therapist as those may be good steps toward long term relief. Quitting drinking may also do a lot to alleviate your anxiety even if it worsens before it gets better.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome SkaterDude and SuePee!

I also joined not too long ago and this is a great place to find others who know exactly what you're going through and who can provide comfort / advice / insight / inspiration ... all that good stuff!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuePee View Post
I joined here today and felt a weight had been taken off my shoulders just be opening up to others.

One thing I have learned from reading of others experiences is that anxiety and sleep problems are going to 'lurk' for a long time yet (I'm only 2 days sober) so I am trying to think of two things: firstly, getting through the next few hours and secondly, how much better my life will be this time next year.

I'm sorry I can't give you any experienced advice but wanted to say I can empathise and wish you every luck
Sue, so glad you joined! you are doing the right thing by learning from all of the great posts here. There is so much good stuff to learn.

I hope you and SkaterDude stick with it.

You should both check out the Class of December 2014 and join those discussions, as you will meet a supportive group that has all decided to quit around the same time and will have similar experiences fresh in their daily life. so much support there. I think it is in the daily support threads!

Best of luck to you too!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA is always a good option to start at. At least you know you will be being proactive about your situation and getting help in a proven process that so many other people have used.

Anxiety sucks. I have it, and have had it for quite some time now. I am only 32, and should not have had anxiety since I was 18 years old... what does a young person have to be anxious about? I am on wellbutrin for depression which also works some for anxiety. Can you go to your DR and see what they have to say? They could give you something for when you quit and help you with a long term medication plan for your anxiety.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of options for recovery, so take a look around and see what we do.

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. I also self-medicated with alcohol to deal with anxiety and insomnia. It simply added another problem to what I already had.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SkaterDude,

here is another sites forum on Anxiety and Drinking. These posts pretty much sum up the relationship between drinking and anxiety for me... For a long time I thought that alcohol was reducing my anxiety, when it fact it was the root cause of much of my anxiety and emotional distress.

anxiety after drinking alcohol · Alcoholism discussions | Emotional & Mental Health center | SteadyHealth.com
Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad both of you are here.

You may be pleasantly surprised by your ability to sleep.

I certainly was.

Whether to keep drinking and using vs. getting clean and sober is really no choice at all.

Who wants to feel like garbage all the time?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
SkaterDude,

here is another sites forum on Anxiety and Drinking. These posts pretty much sum up the relationship between drinking and anxiety for me... For a long time I thought that alcohol was reducing my anxiety, when it fact it was the root cause of much of my anxiety and emotional distress.

anxiety after drinking alcohol · Alcoholism discussions | Emotional & Mental Health center | SteadyHealth.com
So true. There's a ton of stuff on the web connecting alcohol use and worsening of anxiety symptoms. Also, there's a fair number of us who had anxiety and depression issues before alcohol use. Alcohol for me was a self medicating stuffing mechanism.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also have severe anxiety, along with PTSD. I find that my symptoms are actually aggravated by alcohol (especially withdrawal). My new insurance kicks in on the 1st, and I have a plan to address my mental health needs with my doctor then. In the meantime, I've been going to lots and lots of AA meetings, and reading this forum religiously. Dual diagnosis can be tricky, it's always tempting the think of drinking as "medicating". But you and I both know it's not.

Hang in there. Stick around, there's a great group of supportive and kind people here.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SkaterDude

Insomnia and anxiety after quitting are both pretty common. You'll find a ton of support and encouragement here, but if you are concerned about either problem, you can always see your Dr for help and guidance

D
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sarah, I totally agree. i have the same discussion in my head that many of us probably have, as to which came first, the anxiety or the alcohol. Perhaps Ill never know. What I do know is that by not drinking an working a program to address the underlying issues, I have been able to greatly reduce my anxiety and feel better than I ever have.

I have heard may times that people who drink have the emotional maturity of the age at which they started to drink. For me, when I quit the first time, much of the learning i did in the rooms was to "catch up" on my emotional maturity. For me, it took some earnest listening to what people were saying and applying that to my life.

Not drinking and the work helped the anxiety to go away.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Skaterdude

Meetings are a good idea & so is opening up to your wife

Anxiety & Insomnia will fade with more sober time

you can print this out to read & keep http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Nice to meet you
Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all the insight and support. I have not seen a doctor in at least 10 years, and know I will have to muster up the courage to go and get physically and mentally checked out. One thing at a time I guess.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I saw you posted in my journal. I'm taking you up on your suggestion so we now have a pact. I'm on the East coast so I'm three hours ahead of you, but let's get through tonight and get the first 24 hours behind us.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkaterDude View Post
I really appreciate all the insight and support. I have not seen a doctor in at least 10 years, and know I will have to muster up the courage to go and get physically and mentally checked out. One thing at a time I guess.
I developed an anxiety issue thanks to alcohol as well. I actually ended up in a psych ward once. One summer a few years back I hit the bottle every night for two months straight. I stopped drinking one night, and I began seeing demons and hearing voices. The ambulance came then, I was channeled off to the looney bin. they determined I had general anxiety disorder and gave me Lexapro.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SkaterDude, I never saw a doctor either, and for me it was a huge mistake.

It is in your best interests to find a doctor in your area who had experience working with alcohol problems and. Get an appointment. Be honest with that person. They are not there to shame you or judge you. Rather, they will most likely greatly help you to build another part of your recovery.

one of te most difficult things about this for me was learning to be honest with both myself and othet people and learning that other people were there to help me. I say through years and years of anxiety because I couldn't be honest with myself.

You can do this!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In the midst of day 2, and not feeling well, but no bottle. It has been a tough day at work, and I feel extremely tense, something I usually cured with a drink. I have a bunch of honey-dos to take care of now. Got to keep my mind occupied...