Notices

I want to do 6 months sober.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a sober recovery forum, not a white knuckling band of brothers getting each other through and counting days til we can 'reward' ourselves for being so good that we get to treat ourselves to that luscious nectar after a certain amount of time

I suggest being honest with yourself
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me the 6 month point was my most fragile point. I was still craving alchol and looking at others with envy when they had a drink. The thought that I could never drink again was intolerable to me and at times still is. I am now at nine months sober with each day, celebration, hurdle getting easier to manage. It will always drive me nuts that in reality I should never drink again so I tell myself that when I am an old lady, that hopefully goes unnoticed, I shall drink and smoke and do anything eles that's bad for me 😀
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Your sobriety and method is your own business....congrats on making a decision for 6 months, I hope it gives you the result you are looking for, only time will tell and you can decide for yourself, you may change your mind.
(The only white knuckles I know came when teaching my daughter to drive).
Old 12-16-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How old are you?

Just wondering because in my younger years I had very similar thoughts about out-thinking addiction.

I wish you all the best in this goal. It's a worthy one.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You've obviously put some thought into this. You have a plan. Congrats! BTW, I just crested 6 months myself and am now a consistent exerciser, yoga imitator and I meditate--all of which help me a great deal with pain processing. Great minds think alike.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Serper. Something about your post interested me and I took your advive and read every single thread that you have started. I too grew up in poverty and found success at a young age against tough odds. I never got to the point of drinking daily, but definitely drank too often and too much at a time. This never stop me from being a success but certainly hindered it. I never made a truly concerted effort to get sober until a couple weeks ago. I would have liked to join you for your 6 month challenge, but I think we have radically different goals. I've made the decision that I never want to drink again and you have not. I really hope you examine why that is. I appreciate the fact that in all your posts you have been honest and didn't seek to be coddled, you didn't shy away from arguments and stuck to your guns. I can understand now how you were able to pass your exams even while drinking to excess every night. You are a determined young man, that's a good thing. But dogged determination in someone with a drinking problem can also mean a death sentence. I really hope you succeed with your six months, but if you don't I think you should really take a hard look at abstinence. This doesn't mean you have to crawl back here groveling with complete self abnegation confessing that you are a hopeless alcoholic, but some humility, at least in my case, was very important. I wish you all the best. Peter
Old 12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You didn't love IPAs by the way, you loved alcohol

The whole IPA/craft beer thing is a multi-layered rationalization attempt by the alcoholic mind