Notices

Quitting Vodka

Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Vodka

I'm sure I've reached a point in my life in which I do not wanna partake in drinking any longer. I hate being the wreck of a person I turn into when I'm drunk. That person is mostly a rage filled, emotionally unstable person that is totally out of character for the person I aspire to be when in an un-drunken state. I am done with the blackouts, the tiring hangovers, headaches, the guilt, the anxiety and next day depression. I say things I later regret, to the people I care most about. Which is probably the most embarrassing behavior that I commit when drunk. To avoid this I mostly drink alone and furtively. I have been drinking this way for more than a year and I'm feeling burned out by this way of "relaxing". I have a desire to quit the bottle. But one thing that gets to me is that I pretty much do not know what to replace drinking with. I've been drinking for such a long time that I feel like I'm betraying the bottle. I know it sounds stupid, but I have grown loyal to that illogical thought process. Well, hope someone out there could give me some productive advice. I mean, I don't even know where to begin to quit drinking.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Reason, I'm sorry you're struggling. Have you been to treatment or AA or spoken to your doctor (or anyone) about this? There are so many resources out there to help you.

Praying for you!!! AA has really been working for me & the people are so caring & supportive. I go to one meeting a day right now & it's like my "medicine". Would you consider going to a few mtgs & giving it a real shot?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's great to have you here ChgoReason. SR is a great place with amazing people and support.

Welcome!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seeking Help

@Serenidad I have not sought out help. I have heard of AA and have heard of people's stories of recovery, mainly from the TV program Intervention. I sometimes wish I could be one of those people that makes it. I am tempted on going to an AA meeting, I know there's hundreds in Chicago, but I fear being judged. That and I have seen through various media that one has to speak in front of people. Which totally freaks me out. But I am open to change because I really don't wanna waste anymore time contemplating why it always seems that I am starting over. I think it's because alcohol n/dumbs me down to a point that it seems life is passing me by, and I'm just laying on the couch too tired and irritated due to the previous night's binger.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChgoReason View Post
I'm sure I've reached a point in my life in which I do not wanna partake in drinking any longer. I hate being the wreck of a person I turn into when I'm drunk. That person is mostly a rage filled, emotionally unstable person that is totally out of character for the person I aspire to be when in an un-drunken state. I am done with the blackouts, the tiring hangovers, headaches, the guilt, the anxiety and next day depression. I say things I later regret, to the people I care most about. Which is probably the most embarrassing behavior that I commit when drunk. To avoid this I mostly drink alone and furtively. I have been drinking this way for more than a year and I'm feeling burned out by this way of "relaxing". I have a desire to quit the bottle. But one thing that gets to me is that I pretty much do not know what to replace drinking with. I've been drinking for such a long time that I feel like I'm betraying the bottle. I know it sounds stupid, but I have grown loyal to that illogical thought process. Well, hope someone out there could give me some productive advice. I mean, I don't even know where to begin to quit drinking.
I started drinking alone to avoid my embarassing antics too. Except it just moved on to texting...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ChigoReason

I grew very comfortable with my dysfunction. It was quite a nightmarish existence but I knew the parameters intimately.

My drinking defined me - I wondered, seriously, if there would be enough of me to make a person if I took the booze away....

What I found was I'd completely forgotten a me that existed before the booze and drugs.
I've really enjoyed rediscovering that person.

I know you will too, CR

you've given drinking a lot of years - give recovery a chance now

I won't lie - the early days are rough - but you're not alone

you won't regret it

D
Old 12-14-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Tired

Ah vodka....so many people at the last turn to that. It's overall cheap and very swift shot to inebriation.
My drink of choice was 90proof peppermint schnapps. Still swift, but hey sweet, so not so bad. Yeah right, no difference at all. A sugar coated bullet.

I was a closet drinker too. You never saw me walking around with a drink in my hand, oh no. My bedroom has it's own bathroom, and that was my drinking lair. I had empty schnapps bottles spilling out of the cubby under my sink, and lining the counter all over.

A mean, raging drunk I was too. There really was only one person I did this to though, my significant other. I never did that to my son or anyone else, thank you God, but what I did to my sweetheart was reprehensible. My guilt was enormous. I hated even thinking of myself in first person anymore. Life was like movie reel, I could see it, hear it, act my part, but I wasn't really involved. Too difficult; better to go through the motions until I could huddle away and take that first big gulp of sickly sweet alcohol. Then nothing mattered, the haziness was bliss.

Last Sunday I woke up, after a very drunken two days, and realized I'd done it yet again. Abusive rage the day before. I never understood what it meant, that moment of clarity, but it hit me full the moment I woke up. I joined here that day.

You want to stop, but you don't want to have to give up your vodka. You can't have both. You can't. You can't control it or you wouldn't be here. I understand fully well what it's like to be a mean drunk, and the next day, feel like you want to crawl into a hole and pull the earth over your shame.

Find support in whatever form it takes. These forums have been a godsend to me. Everyone is different in what will help and guide them. The first thing you must do though, is to make that decision to abandon the bottle. The only things that are deserving of your care and attention are your loved ones and Yourself.

Stay strong, stay focused. Let yourself heal. It's almost an insane thought that you can do this right now where you are mentally, I get that, but you can. By being here, you're already beginning.

And I can't forget to say Welcome!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I started drinking alone to avoid my embarassing antics too. Except it just moved on to texting...
It's funny you mention texting while under the influence, because I disabled my FB account a while ago, due to my drunken rants. My previous behavior on FB has morphed into tirades against people through text messages. I now find myself waking up to wiping out my text boxes on my phone before I could remember anything, or read anything, and hope I wasn't too insensitive in my messages. I've trashed a lot of friendships like this, which totally sucks.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OmoRose View Post
Ah vodka....so many people at the last turn to that. It's overall cheap and very swift shot to inebriation.
My drink of choice was 90proof peppermint schnapps. Still swift, but hey sweet, so not so bad. Yeah right, no difference at all. A sugar coated bullet.

I was a closet drinker too. You never saw me walking around with a drink in my hand, oh no. My bedroom has it's own bathroom, and that was my drinking lair. I had empty schnapps bottles spilling out of the cubby under my sink, and lining the counter all over.

A mean, raging drunk I was too. There really was only one person I did this to though, my significant other. I never did that to my son or anyone else, thank you God, but what I did to my sweetheart was reprehensible. My guilt was enormous. I hated even thinking of myself in first person anymore. Life was like movie reel, I could see it, hear it, act my part, but I wasn't really involved. Too difficult; better to go through the motions until I could huddle away and take that first big gulp of sickly sweet alcohol. Then nothing mattered, the haziness was bliss.

Last Sunday I woke up, after a very drunken two days, and realized I'd done it yet again. Abusive rage the day before. I never understood what it meant, that moment of clarity, but it hit me full the moment I woke up. I joined here that day.

You want to stop, but you don't want to have to give up your vodka. You can't have both. You can't. You can't control it or you wouldn't be here. I understand fully well what it's like to be a mean drunk, and the next day, feel like you want to crawl into a hole and pull the earth over your shame.

Find support in whatever form it takes. These forums have been a godsend to me. Everyone is different in what will help and guide them. The first thing you must do though, is to make that decision to abandon the bottle. The only things that are deserving of your care and attention are your loved ones and Yourself.

Stay strong, stay focused. Let yourself heal. It's almost an insane thought that you can do this right now where you are mentally, I get that, but you can. By being here, you're already beginning.

Mean raging drunk to my partner as well. Something from the depths of hell emerges.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChgoReason View Post
It's funny you mention texting while under the influence, because I disabled my FB account a while ago, due to my drunken rants. My previous behavior on FB has morphed into tirades against people through text messages. I now find myself waking up to wiping out my text boxes on my phone before I could remember anything, or read anything, and hope I wasn't too insensitive in my messages. I've trashed a lot of friendships like this, which totally sucks.
I was doing the same thing, or reading through the texts looking for something they said that I could use to defend myself " look! You're bad too, now lets just move on and forget this happened...."
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome ChigoReason

I grew very comfortable with my dysfunction. It was quite a nightmarish existence but I knew the parameters intimately.

My drinking defined me - I wondered, seriously, if there would be enough of me to make a person if I took the booze away....

What I found was I'd completely forgotten a me that existed before the booze and drugs.
I've really enjoyed rediscovering that person.

I know you will too, CR

you've given drinking a lot of years - give recovery a chance now

I won't lie - the early days are rough - but you're not alone

you won't regret it

D
"Nightmarish existance". That pretty much sums up how I've been feeling lately. And you're right about me having given drinking a lot of years, and to give myself a chance to rediscover myself. I kind of don't know who I am without thinking of alcohol.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

You describe your loyalty to drinking and to the thought process that keeps you connected to it. What helped me early on with that was AVRT, learning to separate myself from the thought process. I still find it very helpful. You'll see a lot of references to the AV on here. That's what they're talking about. Just something to consider. I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi ChgoReason -- welcome to this wealth of support and good vibes.
You can do this & everyone here will do what they can to help

Dee74 ~I really like when you said
"I wondered, seriously, if there would be enough of me to make a person
if I took the booze away...."

Jsbodhi -- the reading of the texts would always make me cringe in the morning. before I looked at my phone I would hope I hadn't written anything but I almost always did.

& OmoRose ~ your comment "feel like you want to crawl into a hole and pull the earth over your shame." very well stated .... I have felt that way too many times
Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OmoRose View Post

Thanks for the welcome Rose.

Your story is quite similar to how I acted while on vodka. I was horrendous to my partner; regrettably, my outcome with my partner turned out different than yours. This past summer after nine years of me being drunk half of the time, and volatile emotions with my partner, I found myself single. With that, my drinking has only grown. But, I know that I'm ready for that change, to not feel ashamed and guilty all the time.

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a lifeline during those first days and weeks, there is always someone here to help. Stick around, you can do this.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Mean raging drunk to my partner as well. Something from the depths of hell emerges.
And here too. A demon would come out of me. All of my anger at the world directed at him. But not even my anger. I would say thing I did not think while sober. Frightening. Thank goodness we can stop all that when we stop drinking. Only vodka made me do that. Never beer. Vodka is evil.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went to AA regularly for abut 6 months. Decided it wasn't for me, but I'll let you know you don't have to speak. I only spoke once in that entire time, and it was my choice and was for about 15 seconds! No one bothered me about it.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

rational recovery
life ring
smart
avrt
women for sobriety

all have their own websites.

maybe start with writing a Goodbye Letter to Alcohol as a start and then pick a method and start working it. sobriety is action.

I am glad you found SR and wish you well on your recovery!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Go give AA a try.

It has changed my life - been crucial to my recovery... I've been where you are. Nothing to lose, your life to gain.