Notices

Quitting Vodka

Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

There are many misconceptions about AA many contributed by fear filled people who only hear what they want to or are partially brain damaged by alcohol.

A big requirement needed to get and stay sober is being honest with ourself about our own drinking. Next is to accept the fact we cannot drink alcohol in safety.
“I am tempted on going to an AA meeting.”
Personally I say forget it if you mean one meeting and expect magic and live happily ever after. How many enter kindergarten and expect that the next day they will be graduating with an MBA? This getting sober requires serious work over time. It’s strongly suggested that one tries 90 meetings in 90 days.
That would include different types of meetings.

“I know there's hundreds in Chicago, but I fear being judged. That and I have seen through various media that one has to speak in front of people. Which totally freaks me out.”

Instead of being judged we think admirably of those wanting help. Every person at a meeting started with a day one. Besides I like and helped by “IT’S NONE OF MY BUSINESS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.”

As far as speaking, all you MIGHT want to say is your first name and MAYBE add I’m visiting or nothing at all. The old timers would say “take the cotton out of your ears, put it in your mouth and listen and don’t compare. The idea is that new comers don’t have much to contribute in regards to getting or staying sober. I personally think that in a month or so they can contribute by telling what they’ve been doing so far.

BE WELL
Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

About thirty years ago, when I was well into the swing, I honestly thought I would never give up - in fact, I resigned myself to dying, probably in my forties. But then I did. (Give up - not die) I drank vodka and now when I smell it on people's breath - I think nail varnish remover. Ewww. Who'd have thought? If I can do it, you most certainly can. You have made a fantastic start by wanting to do something about it and coming here xxx
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi and welcome.

There are many misconceptions about AA many contributed by fear filled people who only hear what they want to or are partially brain damaged by alcohol.

A big requirement needed to get and stay sober is being honest with ourself about our own drinking. Next is to accept the fact we cannot drink alcohol in safety.
“I am tempted on going to an AA meeting.”
Personally I say forget it if you mean one meeting and expect magic and live happily ever after. How many enter kindergarten and expect that the next day they will be graduating with an MBA? This getting sober requires serious work over time. It’s strongly suggested that one tries 90 meetings in 90 days.
That would include different types of meetings.

“I know there's hundreds in Chicago, but I fear being judged. That and I have seen through various media that one has to speak in front of people. Which totally freaks me out.”

Instead of being judged we think admirably of those wanting help. Every person at a meeting started with a day one. Besides I like and helped by “IT’S NONE OF MY BUSINESS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.”

As far as speaking, all you MIGHT want to say is your first name and MAYBE add I’m visiting or nothing at all. The old timers would say “take the cotton out of your ears, put it in your mouth and listen and don’t compare. The idea is that new comers don’t have much to contribute in regards to getting or staying sober. I personally think that in a month or so they can contribute by telling what they’ve been doing so far.

BE WELL
Thanks for the practical advice.

I do think the fear I have going to an AA meeting is due to partial brain damage. I know my memory is at an all time low. Especially my short term memory. I go to a room with a plan on doing something, and I completely forget why I went into that room. My head at times feels like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Where Tom would get hit in the head with a shovel and his body would reverberate and shake. That's how my head feels. Like someone hit me over the head with a shovel.

Though I don't think it is only fear filled people who see what they want to see. I think that's just how people are. Especially when the issue is an emotionally charged one such as addiction. Confirmation bias is prevalent in everyone.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna research the 90 day commitment plan you mentioned.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChgoReason View Post

I do think the fear I have going to an AA meeting is due to partial brain damage. I know my memory is at an all time low. Especially my short term memory. I go to a room with a plan on doing something, and I completely forget why I went into that room. My head at times feels like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Where Tom would get hit in the head with a shovel and his body would reverberate and shake. That's how my head feels. Like someone hit me over the head with a shovel.

Though I don't think it is only fear filled people who see what they want to see. I think that's just how people are. Especially when the issue is an emotionally charged one such as addiction. Confirmation bias is prevalent in everyone.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna research the 90 day commitment plan you mentioned.
Give yourself and sobriety a chance, you will be amazed how the human body can bounce back. I thought I had brain damage as well, but it appears I was just half in the bag all the time.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Chicago -

Fellow native Chicagoan here with 2.5 years of sobriety under my belt. There's a lot of advice here and it's all great.

I'd ask you to consider taking a realistic and reasonable approach here. Diving from drinking every day right into an AA 90-for-90 plan is admirable, but it's one heckuva committment. And if you're ready for that, great!

I went through a lot of things that you did also, I eventually go to rehab and take some slow, steady steps to learn how to live like a sober adult. But the first steps are the hardest. Make sure that you're being safe, and that you are aware of some of the withdrawal dangers. Also, keep your goals simple and attainable: what can you do to stay sober TODAY? Thinking 3 months down the road is great, but sometimes it's good to start with the basics. Good luck and welcome!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm trying to reply to some messages, but I keep on getting the message below. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know. I was posting replies earlier without a glitch, and now I keep on getting this error message:

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 7 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in chicago. Welcome to SR. Stepping up and admitting you have a problem is a big step. Reaching out and asking for help is even bigger. You did it. You posted here. Now what? I combine SR with attending AA meetings. You underestimated the number of meetings in a week. There are thousands. That's a whole lot of help and people to listen to and talk to. Connections to be made so you aren't so isolated and feeling you are doing it alone. It's been working for me. I didn't like AA when I first started going but I had ten more years of drinking left to do. I wouldn't recommend that. Keep posting here. Start writing reasons or emotions you are feeling when you want a drink. But don't drink. Google Caso - chicago area service office for AA and you can plug in your zip code and find meetings for any time of the day every day of the week. If you don't want to talk, you don't have to beyond introducing yourself.

Stick around and if you are struggling, reach out. You don't have to live the life you are right now. It can get better. But, you have to do some work to get there. Again, starting with not picking up that first drink under any circumstances.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Give yourself and sobriety a chance, you will be amazed how the human body can bounce back. I thought I had brain damage as well, but it appears I was just half in the bag all the time.
Thanks patman.

I will be giving sobriety a chance. The week of Thanksgiving were an especially hard time for me and alcohol. But now that it has passed I feel better. Christmas never meant much to me, so it is not as hard not to think about drinking constantly.

Hopefully I haven't done permanent brain damage. My health is the primary reason I wanna kick the habit of drinking.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There's someone in my AA group with alcohol psychosis, he has brain damage and has trouble with things, I personally adore him, no one judges at all xoxo, he's actually one of my favourite members.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

AA can get on my nerves with the religious aspect, but I love everything else about it, I don't let that stop me from going
To each their own, but AA is wonderful in my eyes.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

As time progresses many of our desires change. Until I was able to stop drinking I never had a thought or desire to be “comfortable in my own skin.”
It’s now years later and it’s been a great accomplishment, not done overnight. Reading posts here is also good for me as it’s a great REMEMBER WHEN because alcoholics can easily forget the misery and pain involved in drinking.

Memory wise it usually returns in a shorter period than what we worry about.

In that and other health issues it’s very advisable to have a good medical checkup as we consumed a lot of non healthy liquid. And please be honest with the doctor so proper observations can be made.

BE WELL
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I'm in chicago. Welcome to SR. Stepping up and admitting you have a problem is a big step. Reaching out and asking for help is even bigger. You did it. You posted here. Now what? I combine SR with attending AA meetings. You underestimated the number of meetings in a week. There are thousands. That's a whole lot of help and people to listen to and talk to. Connections to be made so you aren't so isolated and feeling you are doing it alone. It's been working for me. I didn't like AA when I first started going but I had ten more years of drinking left to do. I wouldn't recommend that. Keep posting here. Start writing reasons or emotions you are feeling when you want a drink. But don't drink. Google Caso - chicago area service office for AA and you can plug in your zip code and find meetings for any time of the day every day of the week. If you don't want to talk, you don't have to beyond introducing yourself.

Stick around and if you are struggling, reach out. You don't have to live the life you are right now. It can get better. But, you have to do some work to get there. Again, starting with not picking up that first drink under any circumstances.
Hey Ruby

It's pretty reassuring to know there's other people in Chicago that have gone through what I'm going through. Being an alcoholic sucks. I didn't think I was one but drinking a whole 750 mL bottle of vodka in under an hour is not normal. And I just want it to stop. I know it takes effort, and I am willing to put in that effort.

Well, thanks for replying. And greetings. I will also do that Caso search you mentioned to me.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Chicago, seriously you should start your road to recovery with a visit to the doctors. If you can drink a fifth of vodka in a an hour you probably have built up a pretty good tolerance to the poison. Your body will revolt if you stop cold turkey. The Dr. can prescribe some meds to help with the withdrawals, which can be quite horrible and deadly. I was where you were in the past and having the meds to detox was to only way I could drop the bottle. After you detox you can then think clearly about a plan for recovery. Stay safe...best wishes.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hi Chicago -

Fellow native Chicagoan here with 2.5 years of sobriety under my belt. There's a lot of advice here and it's all great.

I'd ask you to consider taking a realistic and reasonable approach here. Diving from drinking every day right into an AA 90-for-90 plan is admirable, but it's one heckuva committment. And if you're ready for that, great!

I went through a lot of things that you did also, I eventually go to rehab and take some slow, steady steps to learn how to live like a sober adult. But the first steps are the hardest. Make sure that you're being safe, and that you are aware of some of the withdrawal dangers. Also, keep your goals simple and attainable: what can you do to stay sober TODAY? Thinking 3 months down the road is great, but sometimes it's good to start with the basics. Good luck and welcome!
Hey sombrero

It's cool that you're in Chgo. Sometimes this alcoholism makes it seem like you're the only one going through this. I like that you say you have 2.5 years of sobriety. I wish I could say that. Hell, I wish I could say I have 2.5 weeks! I guess, like ppl have mentioned on this site, one day at a time.

Thanks for giving me advice to keep it realistic. I know I don't wanna build a bridge that I will not cross. Because I would feel like an loser, and resort to hitting the bottle harder than before.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah, vodka and schnapps (preferrably 90 - 100 proof for both), along with 2 - 3 six packs of beer every day (on weekdays, on weekends, though, i could do more serious drining) was pretty much where I wound up prior to getting help for my drinking, which was treatment followed by AA.

I knew that I was probably going to wind up in AA meetings, but it sounded tortuous.

I would go to biker bars, all kinds of dives and taverns in any part of town in any city, strip joints and other rough places without batting an eye about the wisdom and safety of doing so.

But, when someone mentioned AA, I recoiled like a vampire to a crucifix.

Your getting on these boards, your looking for help and your willingness to do what it takes to walk away from the terrible consequences that drinking causes reflects a good bit of courage on your part.

I hope you take the next step and cross the threshhold of an AA meeting.

The only judgment I suspect you will receive is that people will suspect that you're just like themselves.

And you don't have to talk either.

Keep us posted with your efforts, amigo.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm trying to reply to some messages, but I keep on getting the message below. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know. I was posting replies earlier without a glitch, and now I keep on getting this error message:

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 7 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
you'll get that if there's something in your post the system recognises as a URL.

If there's nothing it may be a glitch, hopefully momentary

D
Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Reason

Glad you found us my friend.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
AA can get on my nerves with the religious aspect, but I love everything else about it, I don't let that stop me from going
To each their own, but AA is wonderful in my eyes.
Thanks for the info on AA. I found one that I'm gonna go to tomorrow. their website mentions that one of their evening meeting's is for newcomers. So, I'll see how it goes. Kind of hesitant, but I've had it with alcohol. Can't seem to advance in life, because I keep on thinking about drinking.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Yeah, vodka and schnapps (preferrably 90 - 100 proof for both), along with 2 - 3 six packs of beer every day (on weekdays, on weekends, though, i could do more serious drining) was pretty much where I wound up prior to getting help for my drinking, which was treatment followed by AA.

I knew that I was probably going to wind up in AA meetings, but it sounded tortuous.

I would go to biker bars, all kinds of dives and taverns in any part of town in any city, strip joints and other rough places without batting an eye about the wisdom and safety of doing so.

But, when someone mentioned AA, I recoiled like a vampire to a crucifix.

Your getting on these boards, your looking for help and your willingness to do what it takes to walk away from the terrible consequences that drinking causes reflects a good bit of courage on your part.

I hope you take the next step and cross the threshhold of an AA meeting.

The only judgment I suspect you will receive is that people will suspect that you're just like themselves.

And you don't have to talk either.

Keep us posted with your efforts, amigo.
Hey CAH,

OMG, u drank a lot. I just drink a fifth when I drink, all within the hour and blackout. Not as much as you, but still more than I would like.

Now that school is out until late January I have been drinking almost everyday. Well, right now I haven't had anything since Saturday, and the urge is creeping back. I plan on going to an AA meting tomorrow evening that is marked as Begginer's Meeting on their website. I'll see how it goes. I plan on going with the mindset of hitting this thing head on. Someone on this site informed me that I could just give my name for introductory purposes when beginning AA. But, yeah, I plan on speaking up when I go.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Welcome, Reason

Glad you found us my friend.
J,

thanks for the welcome.