Notices

new to the site

Old 12-14-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the site

Whats up guys. My name is Matt and I just joined the site. A little about me:

Im 35 years old. Ive been drinking since I was 16 years old. Ive also done lots of drugs, cocaine, ecstasy ect Mostly in my late teens and 20's. I got off the big drug scene after having my first child but will admit that I still dable with cocaine here and there. I wont go out and look for it but if someone has it available, ill take them up on it. ESPECIALLY after a few drinks. My big problem is drinking which leads to the other things as well.

Ive come to the conclusion I just can't have a couple drinks and stop. Its all or nothing with me. I got sober for about 3 months last year right around this time. It was tough but I felt good. I then said to myself, maybe I can limit myself to a few beers and call it quits. I did well at first l, then after a few weeks I was back to binge drinking. Then I find myself drinking every night as of late which just sucks cause it messes with my work, my mind, ect. I love a good buzz but I have that more is better mentality and a couple beers turns into 8 on a week night. On the weekends it's much more. I've been drinking for fun for sooo long I just dont know how to let loose and have a great time without it. The funny thing is, when I was a teenager I was so anti drug anti drink. I was all about sports and martial arts. It's like as soon as I got my drivers license, all hell broke loose and it's been part of my life ever since.

I'm hoping I can draw some inspiration and advice from members here because I know a lot of you have been where ive been. Thanks in advance for any replies

Matt
Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Matt. You'll find plenty of encouragement and support here.

I wish I'd been 35 when I wised up and admitted I could never control it. I went on for many more years, with disastrous results. This won't happen to you. Congratulations on this life changing decision. You can do it.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and hang around for a while. I thought I'd be able to stick to a couple of drinks but I was a total failure at that. I had to quit entirely. It's a bit of work because we have to engrain new habits and new ways of living. You can actually have a great time without alcohol. At least that's what I found to be true. It takes practice.

So welcome. Read and learn.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Matt - Great Group Here for Support & Encouragement!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Matt!

There's a saying in AA: "It works if you work it!" The same is true of SoberRecovery. Read around and post often!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me. Exactly!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! So glad you're here, Matt!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill be reading and posting often. I have big goals for my life and I know drinking is just slowing me down and competing with my energy. Time for change.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Matt- Welcome!

First, congrats on your decision to saying 'enough with the booze.' There is a time when it's just best to say enough, so good for you for doing something about it.

I think you'll find a good amount of support in here, which should be of some help to you, as you move forward with stopping alcohol.
...I just can't have a couple drinks and stop. Its all or nothing with me.
I think as you spend some time in here, you'll find that MANY of us are not able to just have a couple of drinks either. I've really never been able to, even back when I first began to drink. I'd be more focused on the next drink then on anything else.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing you around in here.

Lusher
Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As you have found out it very very difficult for an A to limit or control there drinking, to the best of my knowlege. I've never heard of anyone pulling it of for any length of time.
stay sober , and good luck
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, focus; glad you found SR.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Matt
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt.
Take some time and read through some of the forums - newcomers and alcoholism forum are a good start. I'm sure you will begin to see similarities or exactitudes describing yourself. Being able to relate to others with similar experiences can be helpful in understanding how alcohol has affected us and what some of us have to done to overcome it.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xx
Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was also a binge drinker & am now 8 days sober. I have been going to AA every day & working the steps (and coming here) & it really helps. Good luck! :-)
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

I started drinking at 15-16 as well. Did all the drugs and alcohol and ran away from home. I am now 49 and been drinking ever since, wine was my poison.. I been sober 18 days today and I feel great. If I can do it so can you. Don't waste any more years on feeling crap, hangovers, depression etc.. I myself had to hit rock bottom and that was my turning point. Its not easy but it seems to get easier all the time!