Notices

Yuletide craving.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yuletide craving.

Hope you all are doing well,

It's day 45 for me! Some were really rough and some have been great. I owe SR a huge thank you. I check in a few times a day and it keeps me going.

Today I went down to help my parents put up their Christmas lights. All in all it was a good time. However, afterwards I usually sit around and have a couple drinks with my Dad. So the craving hit hard once I was done. I opted for some peppermint tea. It feels good but strange that the tradition has changed.

Just wanted to post and check in.

Thanks again! Don't think I would have made it this far with out you.

Also, I just checked out the suggested reading list and and ordered a few off amazon. I have to admitt I haven't been overly active in my recovery. Just staying sober each day so far. I am excited to read the books though. That list was a great idea!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 45 Days, Axiom. Traditions change; this one sounds like a tasty change for the better.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 45 days! It does feel strange at first when we switch up those traditions, but I feel confident, based on the advice of those who've been at this for longer than we have, that it will feel less so as time goes on!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 45 days and opting for the peppermint tea!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Axiom, I know the feeling. I'm coming up on a year but I still feel that "traditional" thing.

This will be my first real holiday sober. All the leading up to it and the usual stuff - I put off decorating the house. Feeling glum and it was always beer in one hand, lights in the other. Sad when you think about it that I actually carried beer around putting up decorations. Never again... Stick to it, you are doing great.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This time of year is always tough on people like us.It says in the Big Book we struggle with emotional balance.I take that to mean when we're happy we're too happy,sad too sad,etc.
So the emotions around Christmas can be tough, and in early recovery we miss our "old friend" to get us through.
Stay close to the people you trust in your recovery group.You probably have noticed there are more Night Owl meetings this time of year.
When I was new the old-timers in my group would remind me,that nothing falls off the middle of the table.It's hard thing to do when you're new,but it can mean everything to longterm recovery.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Great work on getting 45 days in

Not too far behind you myself

Originally Posted by AxiomDC View Post
Also, I just checked out the suggested reading list and and ordered a few off amazon.
Can I ask where the suggested reading list is? Would be interested to have a look......
Old 12-14-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Guess what guys, the holidays get easier. They really do! You make new traditions and you start to forget why alcohol was so important. Hang in there! This year you get to be fully 'present' -haha- and actually remember the holidays! And no embarrassing moments with too much egg nog. Enjoy it!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Great work on getting 45 days in

Not too far behind you myself

Can I ask where the suggested reading list is? Would be interested to have a look......
Hendrix, I believe he is referring to the sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

BTW, great job on the 45 Axiom!
Old 12-14-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

45 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LBrain, you definitely weren't the only one.

Hendrix- Good for you and that link is what I meant about the books. Hopefully you'll fin one or two you want to read.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AxiomDC View Post
Hope you all are doing well,

It's day 45 for me! Some were really rough and some have been great. I owe SR a huge thank you. I check in a few times a day and it keeps me going.

Today I went down to help my parents put up their Christmas lights. All in all it was a good time. However, afterwards I usually sit around and have a couple drinks with my Dad. So the craving hit hard once I was done. I opted for some peppermint tea. It feels good but strange that the tradition has changed.

Just wanted to post and check in.

Thanks again! Don't think I would have made it this far with out you.

Also, I just checked out the suggested reading list and and ordered a few off amazon. I have to admitt I haven't been overly active in my recovery. Just staying sober each day so far. I am excited to read the books though. That list was a great idea!
I have had the same happen to me! I would usually have a drink putting the decs up, but no, a cup of tea and soda after! It all feels more real somehow!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yay! Congratulations!
Side note: where is the suggested reading list?!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your post just made me realize that I've kinda skipped the holiday cheer myself. Maybe I'm doing it subconsciously because I know this season is a trigger. It's hard but let's remember how nice it'll be to wake up post-Christmas-lights-night without a terrible hangover. Or the Monday before Christmas without a hangover or heck, Christmas morning without a hangover! We can do this.

I quit during the summer and thought "Man, this is hard to quit during the summer." Now it's the holidays and I'm thinking "Man, this is hard to be sober during the holidays." I guess every season is hard! It will get easier for us once we've gone through one calendar year I think. We'll get through it!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

xxx