Notices

60 days sober...some good and not so good days

Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 days sober...some good and not so good days

Hello Everyone,

I found this site while searching for information online and was really impressed with the sense of community and genuine caring posts for one another...gave me hope for my situation.

My sobriety journey started 60 days ago and I've been proud of the progress, but also scared / annoyed at the timeframes and setbacks along the way. I'm learning to take things day by day and reset expectations for how long my road to recovery will be!

I had been drinking increasingly larger amounts of vodka over the 18 months prior to an ER visit for dehydration / dizziness. After getting IV fluids for a few hours and having lots of blood drawn, the doc said there was basically nothing wrong with me, but I should cut back on the booze. I took that as a sign to completely stop, which at the time wasn't a good idea, but I made it through the acute withdrawals.

Now I'm enduring various PAWs symptoms, mainly constant anxiety, a lot of brain fog and some lack of coordination issues. My GP put me on Lexapro to help with anxiety and it seems to be really taking the edge off things.

My biggest hurdle at this time is work...some days my brain is in a total fog for at least the morning, if not longer, and my energy levels are off. I've also cut caffeine a lot to help with anxiety, so that is a struggle too. Good news is that I haven't missed much work and my performance isn't suffering, but still people know something is up.

Hoping for ongoing improvement over the next several months...I've read PAWs can peak at 3-6 months then taper off.

Thanks for listening to my story…looking forward to the future without alcohol!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR plure.

I'm just a bit ahead of you with the sober days...71 for me.

PAWS is definitely a factor for me i think...I've had several days in the past 2 weeks where...My thoughts/emotions were ALL over the place.

And i mean all...Angry, Sad, despondent, depressed...Angry AGAIN...they seem to have calmed a bit over the last day or two.

But they can be uncomfortable. But they do pass...and today as a result of continued sobriety i feel a bit better.

I wish you well in your recovery.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Plure, and congratulations on 60 days of sobriety.

I, too, suffered from foggy-brain syndrome and from a general feeling of lethargy which began to improve at about 6 months.

Have you talked to your doctor about the constant anxiety?

Glad you found SR, Plure.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on your 60 days of sobriety.

Make sure you have a good nutrition, veggies, fruits, and B vitamin rich food.

Your sugar levels will take a while to stabilize. A small bowl of ice-cream, or something sugary can help. But hey, I'm not a doctor.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think I experienced PAWS, but for sure there have been ups and downs with moods and life. I'm glad you talked to your dr and that the medication is helping. Are you getting exercise and eating well? I have found for me, balance is really important.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies and I definitely welcome the advice. I have talked to my doc about the anxiety...he thinks it's due to the PAWs and that I was using alcohol as a coping mechanism. After thinking about it more, it's not always horrible (and when it's not there I don't even pay attention), but we'll see what he says in a week when I go back for a follow-up. Trying to keep my exercise going as well, have a Fitbit so try to get 10,000 steps per day. I also think balance is important and for me just slowing down seems to have helped a lot.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My biggest hurdle at this time is work...some days my brain is in a total fog for at least the morning......

Well done on 60 days!!!
That's a great start!

I too has this feeling of being in a fog. I couldn't focus and actually felt, well disjointed. Like my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders. I couldn't really explain it to others. For example, I would read a set of 7-8 numbers and then type them - maybe a verification code for something - and I could not remember them without looking. Scary.....

Had doctor check up and cholesterol was high.....the good wasn't great and the bad was worse.
He put me on some med's for it. It has only been in the last 2-3 weeks where this mental feeling that a veil had been lifted has come. I just hit 6 months.
Now, bing! It's so much better The grey matter is banging away!

I am in mid 50's - drank a lot for a long time. So I am not surprised. Not sure if cholesterol level change ( much better now) or PAWS deal or age - maybe combination.
So, there a frame of reference for you and others. Of course, everyone is different.

Also should be a warning to younger friends........STOP sooner.

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 + days ...it is great..please don't get disheartened by the PAWS symptoms you are feeling...it does get better....it takes time....

I believe it affects everyone differently....some with minimal and zero to extreme....

The PAWS I felt literally had me feeling scared that I had done some serious permanent damage...
The dissociation that I felt was at times like a tourist in a strange land!!

I went online to learn brain train exercises and coordination exercises ( juggling)...I was that worried..

It would also come in waves, where it would be much worst and I would just shake my head and think "what have I done to myself"

I am over a year now and it has all but disappeared..although, I can be quite ditzy but I think that is to due mainly to being preoccupied with family stuff.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you Plure.

60 days is wonderful. Your feelings at this stage are normal & to be expected. Fortunately, it all settles down and gets easier. I remember feeling exhausted and disoriented at times, but everything changed as I got more sober time behind me. You're doing great.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congrats on 60 days Plure

D
Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

60 is awesome. The early days are over and you've really built something here. Keep going, despite the hiccups you're getting stronger and stronger.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 60 days!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The brain fog really scared me and I also thought that I had done some real damage. But thankfully it goes away. Congratulations on 60 days plure