Notices

Soft drinks....

Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Soft drinks....

Hey folks, so, I went out to a gig last night, and I drank a variety of soft drinks. I had quite a lot of diet coke, some lime soda, and a pineapple juice.

I found that by the end of the night I felt pretty weird - kind of light-headed, and a bit edgy.

To be honest, one week sober (today!), I've been feeling edgy almost constantly, anyway. I just wondered if maybe it was the caffeine in the coke. I've felt similar when I've been on ginger beer, and wondered if it was all the sugar.

Anyway got any thoughts on this? Any soft drinks maybe to avoid drinking too much of?

Whatever - have a great weekend everyone
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Staying away from too much sugar is probably a good idea.

Carbonated water can be a good alternative, you can add Lime or Lemon to make it look fancy.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like club soda with cranberry juice and lime. I try to stay away from too much caffine.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jack early recovery is a rollercoaster ride it will balance outmaybe cut bk on the fizzy drinks like someone said i like cranberry juice too or blueberry juice very rich in anti oxidants also

Well done on a week jack keep going it wont always feel like this
Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool - cranberry sounds like a winner, I'll try that.

And thanks Soberwolf. Rollercoaster it certainly has been! Blimey....

Have a good one.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

full fat Coke all the way! i may have a slight cross-addiction to sugar though so don't mind me..
Old 12-12-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Diet 7 up and Crystal Light Tropical Blend have been great for me
Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey jack-

First, Congrats on week-1!

When I first stopped drinking, I played around myself with different booze-free alternatives. Mostly for at home. Since I always had some form of an alcoholic drink in my hand, I continued with the same habit and trying it out with different booze-free drinks. I found that club soda with some form of a natural juice was both healthier as well as hydrating.

However I'm cheap, so I exchanged out the club soda, for plain filtered water. At first it was boring, but after a while I grew to really enjoy it.

Good luck!

Lusher
Old 12-12-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I avoid the typical soft drinks and go for more fruit juice based drinks, either non alcoholic cocktails if a place has them or a cranberry/soda water/lime is my drink of choice which most places can rustle up.

The thing with fruit juices is that everyone assumes there's alcohol in it which is great in early Sobriety in terms of avoiding those awkward conversations!!
Old 12-12-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was over a year until I went to a bar again and yeah, I was a little edgy too - but then I always am before a gig...

never underestimate the power of anxiety to make you feel goofy.

D
Old 12-12-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love Orangina and Fresca! Oh, and of course my beloved Diet Coke.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I cut out soft drinks even before this attempt at recovery. I am, however, a coffee fanatic and have been even before I started drinking. When I was sober, most people assumed I used it as a replacement for booze, but friends who've known me long enough know I drink it constantly. But only being on day two, and having been down this road (too)many times, I know I don't need anything to increase the jitters or contribute to the insomnia. Right now it's unsweetened ice tea or green tea. Much less caffeine, and loaded with anti-oxidants. Oh, and lots of water. Just my experience.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Soda water is great, since you can mix it with so many different things. I've become a big coffee drinker, though caffeine may be an issue for some. Tea as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

THANKS PEOPLE - some top suggestions here
Old 12-12-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank almost 8 liters of pop/soda in 24 hours over the long holiday weekend I didn't even realize until I looked at the empties. I guess I have a drinking problem even without alcohol...

Try not to overdo it on sugar and caffeine. I drink only diet so at least there's no real sugar in there. Caffeine can also make you jittery/anxious/etc. Obviously caffeine free and sugar free drinks are better, but better to have something like that instead of alcohol.

At one week in your body is still going to be going through some changes. That should pass or at least significantly improve. I'm 3 weeks sober and after 2 is when I started feeling mostly normal again.

Hang in there and remember with every sober day you'll feel a little better. Congrats on 1 week!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pepsi has been a god-send to me in recovery. Only 20 ounces a day or so but it has saved from insanity on many occasions. Bottoms up!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jack I love San Pellegrino citrus based soft drinks, they are designed for an adult palate and are way less sweet than regular soft drinks. You can do a lot with a big glass of sparkling mineral water, use plenty of ice and then lots of lemon or any other fruit that is available. It's a really clean taste but gives you the fun of something bubbly.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

All the cool kids drink coconut water, apparently :=]
Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Great post. I actually find most drinks quite revolting. Far, far too much sugar in them and sickly sweet. After a night of it, say, two or three I just cannot drink any more. I therefore stick to soda & lime, sparkling water & lime. Also these soft drinks are laden with calories. Most wines & alcoholic drinks are also revolting to the taste but after the first few sips our taste buds are numbed by the alcohol. After the first glass I'm not interested in taste just want more, after the second I definitely want the third. After the third......forget everything, lily ain't coming home, lol !!! X