SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The world needs more bars!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353359-world-needs-more-bars.html)

FreeOwl 12-12-2014 11:16 AM

The world needs more bars!!

DRY Bars!!

What an absolutely cool concept. This is actually a THING! Why didn't I think of it??

These are literally 'popping up' here and there as a sort of new micro-movement and I think it's something long overdue. In fact, I'm so excited about the concept, I am in discussions with a few friends and business owners to start one in my area.

The world really does need more of this kind of thing!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ahmedaliakba...-first-night-w

heartcore 12-12-2014 11:39 AM

FreeOwl -

I agree. It wouldn't be difficult to start one - it looks like they're only open some nights, so it is more of an event. You'd just need to find space, book music, and then whip up a few "fancy" non-alcoholic drinks for the menu (and snacks). It would be a great service project (and might even turn a profit!). It would attract many people beyond the recovery movement... I think a lot of people drink because that is "how you go out with other humans at night" and offering alternatives to that is a wonderful thing.

FreeOwl 12-12-2014 11:43 AM

exactly.

I could see it starting out as event-based but actually creating a sufficient market to open a more permanent alternative.... a sort of coffeeshop / drink shop by day, music and art venue with creative fancy and healthy alternative beverages by night.....

this could totally be a thing.

Who knows... it could actually evolve into a really cool way to combine service work with WORK and create a really fun, exciting new way to make a living.

But before I spin off into a classic, obsessive, bigger-and-bigger-and-bigger mentality.... I have actually talked to my Lady and a friend today and - on a small, simple, local scale we're going to do an event like this and see what we learn and how it goes.

:a122:

SoberLeigh 12-12-2014 11:48 AM

Really cool idea; I hope it soars.

Thepatman 12-12-2014 11:57 AM

YESSSSSSSSS! I love the idea, I could get out of my Patman Cave and not feel like a super hero Sober Alien! LOL!

Fly N Buy 12-12-2014 12:58 PM

FRANCHISE!
the name.........

Sobar!! :)

Hey, let's go check out Sobar's.........
Great idea

PurpleKnight 12-12-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 5072670)
YESSSSSSSSS! I love the idea, I could get out of my Patman Cave and not feel like a super hero Sober Alien! LOL!

The Patman Cave is also winner for a name, a close second to Sobar!! ;)

yinzer 12-12-2014 04:53 PM

Very cool idea! I like. Nobody thought vegetarian restaurants would make it either, but they have a place. Why not alcohol free bar?

zerothehero 12-12-2014 05:45 PM

One trend I've seen around here is just the opposite; coffee houses that, if they stay open past 3pm, serve alcohol. We do need more evening coffee houses that provide entertainment. I used to frequent them in my college days. Coincidently, one was called Brillig.

Serenidad 12-12-2014 08:45 PM

Wouldn't that be like a restaurant, coffee shop or ice cream bar? Haha.

In my town a "dry" bar would never work...too many drunks here! Haha

I want someone to open a juice bar. You know the drinks that you make in a juicer with veggies/fruits etc? Yum!

:-)

FreeOwl 12-13-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Serenidad (Post 5073429)
Wouldn't that be like a restaurant, coffee shop or ice cream bar? Haha.

In my town a "dry" bar would never work...too many drunks here! Haha

I want someone to open a juice bar. You know the drinks that you make in a juicer with veggies/fruits etc? Yum!

:-)

I think that's exactly why it WOuLd work! In my town there are so many bars you can't help but fall into one if you happen to trip on the street. There are more liquor stores per capita than schools grocery stores and public restrooms combined. There is not ONE place that people can go and gather with the idea of a sober, fun, lucid evening of conversation and fancy, healthy beverages.

Will keep you posted.... This is going to be fun. A local gallery curator is excited to be our first host!

Soberpotamus 12-13-2014 10:09 AM

SoBAR is a good name, I think :)

Might work in a large city.

FreeOwl 12-13-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SoberJennie (Post 5074128)
SoBAR is a good name, I think :)

Might work in a large city.

I agree... I love it. I had another name in mind.... but I may actually have to adopt this suggestion. It's pretty perfect.

FlynBuy - permission to steal your idea?

:)

SoberLeigh 12-13-2014 10:30 AM

I think we should all organize a road trip to celebrate opening night at FreeOwl's SoBAR. Wouldn't that be FUN!!!!!!

soberlicious 12-13-2014 10:41 AM

They thought it was a great name too!

JanieJ 12-13-2014 10:55 AM

I think that is a briliant idea. I won't be road tripping to yours from the UK, but I might go and visit the one in Nottingham....

FreeOwl 12-13-2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by soberlicious (Post 5074167)
They thought it was a great name too!

nothin' new under the sun!!! But that one's in the UK..... ;)

:ring

Soberpotamus 12-13-2014 11:10 AM

Eh, well... we need one in America :)

FreeOwl 12-13-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanieJ (Post 5074184)
I think that is a briliant idea. I won't be road tripping to yours from the UK, but I might go and visit the one in Nottingham....

next time I'm in the UK....

FreeOwl 12-13-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SoberJennie (Post 5074206)
Eh, well... we need one in America :)

on it!