SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello All Newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353342-hello-all-newbie.html)

muddywaters 12-12-2014 02:27 AM

Hello All Newbie

Hello all,

I am happy to have discovered this forum. I came upon it while googling things due to my anxiety from my new sobriety. I quit drinking for good after 10 years.

My question is, and this has been touched upon, but I'm scared and wanted some extra detail.

Is it normal after nearly a month of quitting to have anxiety to the point where I personally have convinced myself I could have for example, a brain tumor, esophagus cancer, and all sorts of other things that seem both logical, and illogical that scare me?

Thanks in advance for the answers. Already some of my reading here has begun to calm me.

Dee74 12-12-2014 02:35 AM

Hi and welcome Muddy :)

It think it's very common - I certainly had heightened anxiety and ven a little hypochondria for a while.

Have you seen a Dr yet? :)

D

muddywaters 12-12-2014 02:43 AM

I have not officially. I know that is probably a mistake. I have a family member who is an ER doctor prescribe me some benzo's to get me through the initial. I feel pretty good. It just hits me maybe once or twice a day. I just want to make sure its normal.

I sort of feel like I'm loosing my mind. I think I'm going to seek out a therapist to talk to as soon as I can.

I really appreciate the response.

Dee74 12-12-2014 02:52 AM

Hey, it's up to you but seeing a Dr and getting checked over may eliminate a lot of that health anxiety? :)

D

muddywaters 12-12-2014 02:56 AM

Your right Dee. I'll get an appointment and would you also suggest therapy?
For you personally how long did the anxiety last?
I'd take any suggestions. Love the John Lennon picture.

Dee74 12-12-2014 03:38 AM

I had anxiety before I ever started drinking, so my experience may not be of use.
Some people find improvement after a few weeks, or a month...others take longer.

What I can say is now, several years later, my anxiety is the best it's ever been :)

I had some counselling sessions with a psychologist after I quit, just to try and get some ideas on anxiety and negative self talk, but I've never seen a psychiatrist.

D

muddywaters 12-12-2014 03:44 AM

Ah.

I really appreciate the responses and information. Thanks a ton.

sprout50 12-12-2014 03:51 AM

I think what you are going through is normal. I would avoid looking things up on the internet-Dr. Google-and make an appt for a check up. If you think therapy would help, then do it.

Like Dee, I had anxiety way before I ever drank. But after almost 4 months sober, it has decreased greatly. And when I do have anxiety, I can deal with it much better sober.

muddywaters 12-12-2014 03:55 AM

Hi Sprout,

I will take the advice. I've never had anxiety before this, so its very odd to me. Thanks for the response.

Tonks 12-12-2014 04:03 AM

Anxiety is definitely common with withdrawal however most of us i think have experienced anxiety before we used or drank for the first time. Addiction after all is usually a symptom in itself.

If you are open to therapy and have the resources, id highly recommend it.

Welcome to our community!

muddywaters 12-12-2014 04:37 AM

Thanks Tonks.

I really appreciate it. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this sight in my many hours of anxiety paranoid reading. I look forward to my journey of sobriety and getting my body and mind healed from all the abuse.

SarahB60 12-12-2014 05:26 AM

I've had anxiety issues since I was a child. Drinking made my anxiety, irrational thoughts/GAD, panic attacks 100x worse! I've been sober almost 13 days and my anxiety levels are no where near how I felt the day after drinking (my mornings were generally horrible). I believe things will get better for me.

Hang in there and try and stay off google. :)

SoberLeigh 12-12-2014 05:54 AM

Welcome, muddywaters.

steffie 12-12-2014 06:02 AM

Welcome muddy waters - I bet the anxiety will get way better soon too.
I convinced myself of many fictional ailments that disappeared as time went on.
Love the name by the way

least 12-12-2014 10:09 AM

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. :)

Nuudawn 12-12-2014 10:12 AM

Welcome Muddy..
Turns out most of us drank for some reason or another...

I do believe anxiety is numero uno.

Jsbodhi 12-12-2014 10:30 AM

Welcome!! I feel ya....I've had liver damage, HIV, cancer....all in my head of course ;)

PurpleKnight 12-12-2014 11:29 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

JanieJ 12-12-2014 11:47 AM

Welcome, Muddywaters. :)

Yeah, my anxiety, which I've had forever, had lessened an awful lot since I've been sober, which is just over two months now.

It should settle down but as Dee said, seeing the doc will put your mind at rest.

Welcome aboard, you' ll find tons of support here.

And I agree -Levon Helm was the man :)

Soberwolf 12-12-2014 01:05 PM

Hi Muddy Waters