SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353281-new-here.html)

Squig 12-11-2014 12:18 PM

New Here

Howdy all, new to the group. I'm a 29 year old male who has been drinking since I was 15 or so, always been a heavy drinker, but things started to get way out of control about three years ago. I had 6-7 months of great sobriety through AA, and I threw it away at a concert last summer. Instead of going back to AA I did what most drunks do- hide away from everything. I'm coming up on 24 hours since my last drink and feel as to be expected. Shaky hands, restlessness, anxiety. Basically the whole spectrum of AWS. I've been thinking about going back to AA, and I had several criticisms of the program that now in hindsight I think I was harping on in preparation for my next relapse. Tricky thing, this disease. The thing is, I live alone, am currently fighting to keep my career of nine years (right on the verge of Christmas no less) while trying to stay upbeat for my son. I'm not proud to admit that I've missed out on alot of his life thus far, and he's old enough to know something is off with me when I've been on a bender. This website is a godsend to people like me who need a distraction all by themselves in a quiet house. Depending on what time he goes to bed tonight, I might try to hit a meeting. It's good to get on here and vent to other alcoholics who know what the early stages of recovery are like. Thank you!

ScottFromWI 12-11-2014 12:22 PM

Welcome Squig....SR is definitely a place where you will find understanding and support. Regarding AA, if you are thinking of going back don't worry about what other people say, just go try it out and see what you think for yourself.

SoberLeigh 12-11-2014 12:28 PM

Welcome, squig, to SR.

If you want to go back to AA, go for it; try not to listen to what others have to say; this is YOUR sobriety.

Squig 12-11-2014 12:34 PM

Thank You! I actually just messaged a guy I grew up with who has two years through AA. I feel like actually reaching out for a change is a step in the right direction. I see you are a Les Paul aficionado. I have a Goldtop with P-90s that really sings.

Soberwolf 12-11-2014 12:37 PM

Welcome to SR

least 12-11-2014 12:52 PM

Welcome to the family. :) Early recovery can be hard but it will get better the longer you're sober. :)

Anna 12-11-2014 01:15 PM

Welcome, Squig!

I'm glad you found us and we do understand.

matilda123 12-11-2014 02:01 PM

Welcome! I know all about that isolating...Reaching out is one way to give that AV a swift kick in the backside!! I think the more voices that can counterbalance my AV, the better!

Fly N Buy 12-11-2014 02:08 PM

Welcome, Glad you're here!!!

Meeting(s) are always a solid plan of attack, IMHO.
SR is a wonderful place - between the two resources, amazing interaction with fine other folks with a common problem>

Kind Regards,
FlyN

Dee74 12-11-2014 02:09 PM

Welcome Squig - if AA helped, why not go back and at least give it a try, along with SR? :)

D

Soberpotamus 12-11-2014 02:20 PM

Welcome to SR, Squig!

PurpleKnight 12-11-2014 02:52 PM

Welcome to the Forum Squig!! :wave:

Tonks 12-11-2014 02:52 PM

Welcome!

Squig 12-11-2014 08:11 PM

So I forgot how good it was to see some familiar old faces. Baltimore is often called Smalltimore and it becomes even more evident in the rooms. I've often been told that you can't rob a person of the journey but I can't believe I took so long to go back. Also how humbling of an experience it is being the only person in the room having to get that 24 hour chip again. Good times.

strategery 12-11-2014 08:20 PM

Welcome Squig!

Roadr440 12-12-2014 04:40 AM

Welcome to SR Squig!!

SoberLeigh 12-12-2014 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Squig (Post 5071614)
So I forgot how good it was to see some familiar old faces. Baltimore is often called Smalltimore and it becomes even more evident in the rooms. I've often been told that you can't rob a person of the journey but I can't believe I took so long to go back. Also how humbling of an experience it is being the only person in the room having to get that 24 hour chip again. Good times.

So glad you had a god experience, Squig.

(Smaltimore, sometimes known ad Bawlmer!!!!)

SoberLeigh 12-12-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 5072081)
So glad you had a god experience, Squig.

(Smaltimore, sometimes known ad Bawlmer!!!!)

Meant to say 'good' experience but if you did have a 'God' experience, all the better!!!!

Squig 12-12-2014 07:36 AM

Leigh, thank you. And us folks from here are sometimes referred to as Baltimorons! Day 2 is starting of pretty well. Didn't really sleep last, more or less snoozed in between vivid dreams, which I expected. The night sweats were better though, so I know I'm closer to have this poison out of my body. Spending some quality time with the family for the first half of the day and hitting some meetings tonight. Here's hoping everyone has a good day!