Notices

Newly sober; detox psych prescribed benzos..

Old 12-11-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober; detox psych prescribed benzos..

Hi all
I just got out of detox. I feel good and ready to do the work to stay sober. The consulting psych came in a prescribed me a low dose of benzos for anxiety. Did anyone, newly sober, take benzos short-term with success? I'm consulting with my GP, of course, but am writing here while I wait. I thought they were a huge no-no for addicts/alcoholics.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

did you ask the person who prescribed these what could happen?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi BC we cant discuss medical advice but i did see my doctor in early sobriety and he helped me with panic attacks

Hope it goes well at the doc
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Of course I did SB. I think you may have missed the question in my post.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. I took benzos in early sobriety to help mitigate anxiety symptoms, and continue to use them sparingly as an adjunct to what's mainly a non-pharmaceutical approach to anxiety management. Exercise, meditation, improved coping skills, no caffeine or other stimulants.

I haven't experienced any tendency towards tolerance or dependence, but I'm mindful of the danger since at least some overlap exists between the receptors for alcohol and benzos.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey ButterflyCher- Congrats on moving forward.
I thought they were a huge no-no for addicts/alcoholics.
They did help settle the nerves, however I found myself in trouble with them and had to taper off of them under medical supervision. I found myself abusing them for a few years. I did have an Rx, however I also had access to additional, which is where I got myself into trouble.

So for me, they were a bit of a "no-no," but everybody's different. Also, my Rx was issued for just generalize anxiety and not for anything alcohol related.

I should also add that once I stopped drinking, and as some time had passed, almost all issues with anxiety have gone away anyhow, so I'm not sure I really ever needed them.

Lusher
Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was prescribed a low dose to help me quit last December. My doctor was/is fully aware that I am an alcoholic. They really helped in the beginning. I was aware that they were addictive at the time. I didn't have a problem with them but took the prescribed dose (or less). I didn't finish the prescription.

But, it is as Andante said, your mileage may vary. If you have a concern, discuss it further with the doctor.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did. I had a major panic attack which kicked off my sobriety. The Dr. said that alchohol can cause anxiety and gave me an anti-anxiety taper to get me through the first week. For me it felt like safety blanket that kept me from having panic that I'd have a panic attack - Like Lusher I'm not sure I needed them but it made me feel better. I also have therapy, yoga, exercise and most of all my awareness of my own anxiety to help me now. Awareness is critical for me. If you can plan ahead to use all of the tools at your disposal it might help. Early days here so this is FWIW!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was given xanax and ativan to sleep when I released from medical detox. I've used both very sparingly. Drinking made my anxiety and panic attacks 100x worse! I was popping xanax like tic tacs during the day only to hit the bottle when the sun went down. Now I'm 12 days sober and things are not so crazy! You may not need the meds, but don't beat yourself up if you need to take a pill every now and then during early sobriety.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find that benzos help me a lot with my sobriety and my anxiety/panic attacks. The whole reason I started drinking in the first place was out of self-medicating social anxiety and panic attacks. I don't abuse the meds.... but I've been taking a low dose for a couple years now. Not every day, and not with alcohol, but I'm still going to have a hell of a time stopping.

It's easy to become dependent on benzos, even without abusing them, and for some the withdrawals are horrific.

If you end up taking them for more than, say, 2 weeks, then I highly recommend reading up on Benzo Withdrawal Syndrome before you even take one. The Wikipedia article is very good. Scary, but very accurate.

Once I'm further along in my sobriety, I'm planning to start my taper. For now, it's whatever works.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes I was prescribed them after getting out of detox, then I found myself withdrawing from them as well. Of course the option of taking nothing would not be good because alcohol has worse withdrawal than benzos. Just take them as prescribed and try to get off of them as soon as possible.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with benzoes but it seems pretty common to prescribe short term low dose scripts.

It's very important NOT to drink on them tho, so if you do feel there's a danger of that you're best to be honest with your Dr.

D
Old 12-11-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think when benzos are given for withdrawal, it is only short term. When I got them to detox, it was only for a few days. Not long enough to develop an addiction to them.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We spent so long self-medicating and gauging our doses of alcohol. That didn't work. We're not good at diagnosing or treating ourselves.

Why not take the doctor's word for it and accept medically-sound treatment?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's good to see you again butterflycher. I've been thinking of you. *hugs*
Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Benzos have been used to treat alcohol withdrawal for ages. I've used them for that many times.

I believe that alcohol can be used for benzo withdrawal, but fortunately have never had to test that out as I've never had a problem with them.