SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   AV working overtime (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353260-av-working-overtime.html)

pattyspaw 12-11-2014 06:55 AM

AV working overtime

I have 4 days and my AV is working overtime trying to talk me into drinking; I need to fight it big time; we have a nasty storm moving in and i plan to take Friday off; I'm hoping I don't pick up a bottle;

SarahB60 12-11-2014 07:04 AM

I'm in the same nasty storm! Hang in there. You can do this. Stay on SR, go to a AA meeting, call a close friend.

strategery 12-11-2014 07:07 AM

In my experience, day 4's have always been hard. Hang in there! It will get easier!

BBQBOY 12-11-2014 07:20 AM

Resist the "beast" in your head...it is a big liar. You will feel much better about yourself. I hope you can weather both of these storms..Stay safe and best wishes.

chickippo 12-11-2014 07:52 AM

don't hope you won't pick up a bottle. make a plan that involves you NOT drinking. i wrote a relapse prevention sheet during my IOP earlier this year - it's a list of consequences of me drinking, safe numbers to call, and a reminder of things that make me feel good when i'm feeling bad - a hot bath, a good book...

it's in my handwriting so it's my voice, talking to me. i find it really useful.

please be well. weather the storm - the one inside and the one out!

dwtbd 12-11-2014 08:01 AM

The first week is very hard.
Decide right now that you are not going to drink and picking up a bottle won't even be an option. Your AV isn't going to like it one bit and will scream and kick, but only for as long as it thinks it has a chance. You have to starve it out every time it kicks up , but it will weaken, I found it the stringest when it felt the most threatened when I was really garnering my resolve. Its hard , it sucks realize that and it will actually get better. You just have to ride it out.
wish you well

Steve123123 12-11-2014 08:51 AM

Hi, Patty. I so very much empathize with where you're coming from. I think that you need to be certain right now that you will not let that AV win. You're clearly a rational person, and that rational voice must win. Rationally, what would your life look like on Saturday morning if you maintained your sobriety? What would it look like otherwise?

You can do this!!

SoberLeigh 12-11-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve123123 (Post 5070381)
Hi, Patty. I so very much empathize with where you're coming from. I think that you need to be certain right now that you will not let that AV win. You're clearly a rational person, and that rational voice must win. Rationally, what would your life look like on Saturday morning if you maintained your sobriety? What would it look like otherwise?

You can do this!!

^^^^ Yes, play the tape forward, Patty. It will be amazing to wake up sober on Saturday morning.

JanieJ 12-11-2014 09:21 AM

Patty, stay strong hun.

Some great advice above.

brynn 12-11-2014 09:28 AM

We are stronger than that voice, patty! YOU are stronger than that voice!
You got this!

heartcore 12-11-2014 09:39 AM

Yup, nothing like the excuse of a storm or natural disaster or an emergency in the family to get the alcoholic juices flowing. But why is that? When a storm blows in (in Alaska, severe weather is a character in your life, a consideration in every plan), I most need to be competent - for myself, but mostly for others. What if I am called upon to rescue the elder woman who lives down the street, what if I have to drive to safety, what if I have to make decisions that impact my friends or family's safety - and I'm drunk?

I can't tell you how many accidents up here are a result of people drinking alcohol and then - snowmachining, chopping wood, driving, four-wheeling, fishing, boating, hunting... I've lost people I love to alcohol related accidents.

One of the things I'm most loving about sobriety is the knowledge that if there is a crisis (a blizzard, a bear attack, a car accident) anywhere in my vicinity, I will be capable and competent as a rescuer. I am not only safer myself, but everyone who passes through my story each day is a little bit safer. Because you can knock on my cabin door now - in the middle of the storm - and I can drive your mother to the hospital. I am sober, and I can be counted on...

matilda123 12-11-2014 09:40 AM

Yes, stay strong! Hopefully you don't have any alcohol in the house and the prospect of going out in this is too daunting :) I, too, am sitting out the storm, west of you!

matilda123 12-11-2014 09:42 AM

One other thought: weather like this is a chance to slow down and hunker down, which I always find restorative. If you're not working today, maybe you could make a chocolate and snuggle in with a movie? I'm cuddling with my dogs right now! And plan to make some cookies this afternoon :)

Frixion 12-11-2014 09:48 AM

Log on to SR regularly! You will have tons of support here. I would also suggest to make a plan. Make a list of things you want to do that day: start a new novel, cook an elaborate meal, write in a journal, play card games, etc.

:grouphug:

Soberwolf 12-11-2014 10:14 AM

Stick close to SR

Steve123123 12-12-2014 08:46 AM

Hey again, Patty. I just wanted to post a second time, now that it's Friday, to say that you have this under control! 24 hours. That's all that matters right now. Get through it. Get through it.

I'd love to hear how you're doing!

Jsbodhi 12-12-2014 09:53 AM

Get a ton of tea, a book, movies, takeout and hang around SR, that's what I do on the nights and days I'm not working and the weather is bad. It's really fun!

Nuudawn 12-12-2014 09:58 AM

Hope you hung in there Patty.

Chickippo: "Relapse Prevention Plan Worksheet". Nice.
Heartcore: Your posts are like warm cocoa sometimes...

Dee74 12-12-2014 02:48 PM

Don't hope Patty - just don't pick up a bottle, no matter what...you're in control not your AV :)
D

pattyspaw 12-13-2014 12:21 PM

I gave into the AV and i'm back at day one today; I wish I had fought harder; it really felt good to have the 4 days and it felt good to do things sober; my new resolve will be to get to a meeting; i need to surround myself with people who understand my struggle; thank you all for being there for me even when I wasn't listening