Notices

I feel so lost!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

Little update.

I still feel...."lost in progress"))

But today my trainer did sparring with me and said "I think you are ready to compete". Ok, then. Once I made this decision I've had a feeling I made the right one.

Competition is in two weeks. I am going to just focus on getting ready, and enjoy.

See you all)
Old 12-13-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

MB, I am cheering you on!!! I know you can kick some azz! Go get 'em!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes MB

D
Old 12-13-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
And a little bit to add.

You may have noticed I've changed my avatar.

That's part of Real Me)
I recognised your eye Midnight.
And I know you thought I was just being complimentary when I told you how beautiful you are. The thing is, even if you don't know quite who you are yet, I know you are beautiful inside and out.

The search for ourselves is a precious journey.
None of us know exactly where the bends in the road will take us.
What I believe, is that if we search from a place of truth, our souls' needs will be revealed.

I believe that someday soon you will look at the photo of yourself and smile, and know that you are becoming someone that you can love. Someone that you are proud of.

Venus xx
Old 12-08-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all)

Wow, it's' been almost a year since I wrote this post.

I added one more year under belt of my sobriety.

I found a job which I love (but though feel like a fraud and that I don't deserve it.). For the first time in my life I have the job I don't hate - and more than that.

I don't feel THAT lost as a year ago, but still lost. Still like I don't know who I am.

Recently I "stumbled" upon a book "Toxic Parents. Overcoming their hurtful legacy and reclaiming my life". I've read only, maybe, 1/5 of the book by far, but it's such a breath of fresh air. Though I've done a lot of therapy and self-digging to heal myself from the hell I went through in my family, there are still wounds that hurt. And sometimes a nasty thought of hopelessness flickers once in a while "Maybe, I will never overcome this". Something was missing.

I will. Overcome. And reclaim my life to every bit of it.

One of the "faces of toxicity" in my family was that my mother made me lie to other people to "keep good facade" in front of rotten house. It was kind of "protection". I became severely codependent with misery and lies.

Sometimes I trace back my life and it's amazingly hard to tell where is a "cover story" and where's the facts.

Today a bold thought came to me - well, if I don't know who I am, maybe, there is something goon in it. I can start fresh. Carte blanche. Take a huge snow-white canvas and put the first piece of puzzle of the person I FEEL like being.

It's scary - like losing gravity - it means I have to turn of "I need to do a safe thing that is universally approved and check all the opinions and keep my cover ducks in the row'.

But I believe it's better than trying to belong everywhere and still belong nowhere.

So, what's my first piece of puzzle? I don't know... yet.

Thank you all for reading.

Have a good day.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great to hear your update Midnight, and 1 more year Sober is fantastic!!
Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

MB

D
Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations on another year of sobriety, MidnightBlue.

You have had a courageous and impressive journey.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
AA member

Good to hear from you Midnight.Congratulations on another year sober.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Today a bold thought came to me - well, if I don't know who I am, maybe, there is something goon in it. I can start fresh. Carte blanche. Take a huge snow-white canvas and put the first piece of puzzle of the person I FEEL like being.
That sounds great, MB!

Old 12-08-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

MidnightBlue, 2 years 2 months sober is just so FANTASTIC, congratulations. Goin on 6 years now and unfortunately the expectation of, "instant satisfaction", still dominates me although I have improved. I personally haven't done as good a job as I should to fill in the time it took to be an alcoholic. I'm learning to expect that everyone minute of the day isn't necessarily gonna be a good one and enjoy the day anyway, rootin for ya.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Midnight xx
Old 12-08-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

It's great that you are making the changes to live a real and fullfilling life, and allow yourself to discover just who you really are. Some people go their entire lives not even realizing that their source of discontent comes from within that person they don't even know: themselves
Old 12-09-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi, all)

I don't feel THAT lost as a year ago, but still lost. Still like I don't know who I am.

Recently I "stumbled" upon a book "Toxic Parents. Overcoming their hurtful legacy and reclaiming my life". I've read only, maybe, 1/5 of the book by far, but it's such a breath of fresh air. Though I've done a lot of therapy and self-digging to heal myself from the hell I went through in my family, there are still wounds that hurt. And sometimes a nasty thought of hopelessness flickers once in a while "Maybe, I will never overcome this". Something was missing.

I will. Overcome. And reclaim my life to every bit of it.

One of the "faces of toxicity" in my family was that my mother made me lie to other people to "keep good facade" in front of rotten house. It was kind of "protection". I became severely codependent with misery and lies.

Sometimes I trace back my life and it's amazingly hard to tell where is a "cover story" and where's the facts.

It's scary - like losing gravity - it means I have to turn of "I need to do a safe thing that is universally approved and check all the opinions and keep my cover ducks in the row'.
MidnightBlue,

My heart just stopped and I thought I was going to throw up.

I don't know if you believe in God, but your bumping this post today, has saved me.

As I read your initial post I was nodding my head and fighting back tears because I relate completely. I could put a check mark by every sentence....because I feel your pain.

But when I almost lost it was when you mentioned Toxic Parents book, because I was about to type to you about the difference it's recently made in my life. I didn't realize how much responsibility my parents put on me.....I was a little adult by around 4 years old, caring for my mom's emotions.

For myself, the book, and 3 years of therapy, opened my eyes.

I've been living 30+ years seeking approval and love and never feeling worthy.

I'm working on this with a therapist. I'm struggling with identity and EXTREME cravings for love but inability to allow people in.

I want to send you prayers if you don't mind. And a big, warm cyber HUG.

(((((MB)))))

You are already worthy of love and do not have to earn it.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I don't believe I said it well enough.

THANK YOU

For describing this experience so well. I could not put it into words and have not seen it described in a way I can identify with.

Have you ever considered joining a codependency support group? I keep thinking it could help those of us with childhood trauma.

Also, maybe take a look at my thread entitled "does anyone have dysfunctional parents"....our friends on here offered some meaningful insights....so grateful to you and them.

Thank you so much. 💓💓💓💓
Old 12-09-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wow, I can't believe that a year has passed.

It sounds like you've made great progress -finding a job that you like requires, well getting to know yourself and what you like Something sounds like it's working...

Carte Blanche - want a nice attitude as the new year approaches. Let us know how it fits you
Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all.

Thank you so much, Sportsfan, for you post. It just brought tears to my eyes. Aam at work now, checking from my phone. I will check youru thread once I get home and get proper access to internet.

SereneEdition - Thank you for stopping by. Yes, its been a year - time flies. But I gell like I am finally aware of the direction of my flight.

Love you all.

See you later.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Lovely thread MB, I can literally feel you growing in confidence from here. I competed in kickboxing for more than a decade back in the day and I can tell you there are fewer better ways to find out who you are than preparing for a competitive fight/match. Stick within your boundaries and maybe now is not the right time but I recon 95% of the people who have taken the plunge would say it is one of the most rewarding and liberating things they have even done. Really, you will see, its not about winning or losing at the end of the day.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi, all.

Thank you so much, Sportsfan, for you post. It just brought tears to my eyes. Aam at work now, checking from my phone. I will check youru thread once I get home and get proper access to internet.

SereneEdition - Thank you for stopping by. Yes, its been a year - time flies. But I gell like I am finally aware of the direction of my flight.

Love you all.

See you later.
I am leaving for work now, so grateful for your insights!

Here's to another day to find ourselves, moment by moment!

Something my therapist has had me work on that is a an incredibly accurate guide: "checking in" with my body. Oftentimes we learn to suppress emotions, fake it basically, to the point that cannot access our emotions and even know what we feel.

She trained me to ask "where do I feel this emotion in my body? As the emotion is happening. My "tell" is my stomach....it feels like it spasms, or feels queasy, for a 1/2 second. It's my alarm to notify me that I need to step back and ask myself "what am I feeling?"

I've noticed my body is such a gift because it is still reacting to what the REAL ME wants/needs. It hasn't been completely brainwashed and rewired by my upbringing.

I love this example: if someone infringes on my boundaries by:
--saying something painful
--standing too close or unwanted touching
--asking me to do something that I want to say no.....even something simple

My alarm in my stomach goes off....it kinda spasms. I used to suppress it. Now I "honor and respect self" as the therapist says. I step back and ask what the real me feels and needs right now.

You know what is so amazing?

When we allow ourselves to feel the "bad", we will also open ourselves up to feel the "good"....true joy, happiness, love....

Another "tell" is I get chill bumps every day now.....I've figured out its when I'm talking about something I love or that inspires me and I feel FULLY ALIVE.

Our bodies give us cues to the real self. I hope this is helpful to someone who is prone to repression....it's changed my life!

💓💓💓🌞🌞🌞
Old 12-10-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

....oops I forgot....

The goose bumps or chill bumps also happen when someone else is talking about something that evokes positive emotion in me.....something sentimental/loving or inspiring.....it could be something professionally inspiring or a hallmark commercial or a someone talking about something special in their life.

You might look for physical sensations that are connected to emotions for you. It's such a helpful guide for me.