Notices

Put sobriety first weekender thread Dec 12-14

Old 12-13-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hello, all. I had a busy and productive day. I tried a different chili recipe from what i'd normally make. It turned out pretty good. I'm settling in to do some reading I think. All in all, feeling calm and happy. Looking forward to doing some Christmas shopping with my daughter tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Ruby, I hope you are able to enjoy the down time that you have to yourself. I think you should pamper yourself in some way and savor the peace and quiet. Take a bubble bath, read a book, do something you enjoy, enjoy your own company! Sounds like you don't have time to yourself often....leave the house work til tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Boo Yah!

Cookies made.
Now I must take the dog out for a walk.

Hope everyone is well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (44) (133x150).jpg (50.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Have a good night Jerri! Good luck Christmas shopping tomorrow. I was out today and there didn't seem to be all that many people out. Hopefully you find the same lack of crowds.

Husband is sleeping and I have two cats sacked out next to me on the couch. A hint? Tonight I have a ton to do but no interest in doing anything other than talking or thinking about it. That is a challenge in my sobriety. What to do with the loose ends? time that for years on end I would fill with drinking and just sitting on the couch. Or in my favorite arm chair. Drinking isn't an option.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Olive, the cookies look great! Are those the snowballs that have nuts in them?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks HaF. I think I will just pamper me and do nothing - and not feel guilty about that.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Olive, the cookies look great! Are those the snowballs that have nuts in them?
Thanks!
Yes, snowballs made from butter, sugar and walnuts, fudge with more walnuts, cracker candy with pecans, and sugar cookies with cream cheese icing and sprinkles.
Getting my gray hair artfully disguised tomorrow morning. Thought I would take a bucket of cheer with me.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

One for all you guys finding it difficult tonight:

"I swear it will get easier"

Old 12-13-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

It's funny how we don't see ourselves the way that others see us. I told my therapist recently that "my life is so hard because I'm an introvert". He began to laugh. He said "sometimes you are, and sometimes you are not. Anyway, one thing you are is very observant. I see you saying nothing, but watching everything". My dad said that the reason I was quiet is because I was at home a lot. I rarely went out.

Actually my dad told me today that "I'm proud of you. You are doing well now". I felt this warmth in my chest flow through to my fingers and toes.

I am enjoying my job a lot. (Fingers crossed that they are happy with me!) We had a little party in the office yesterday and made these Grinch Grape things. They were a hit! I wished my friend happy Christmas a few days ago, and she said "calm down. It's only the 11th!" I can't help it. I'm excited to see my brother and his fiancee!

I'm in bed now, with a pot of camomile tea. I'm reading this great book called "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng...it's great! I feel at peace.

Hope you are all having a wonderful night!
Attached Images
Old 12-13-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Let It Snow

Got all the outside clean-up Guano done just before this Snow Squall hit us. Only about 1" of Snow predicted, so no biggie. Windy windy, though.

Homemade Enchiladas have been consumed. I decided to skip the Guac. Overkill. Watching one of our favs just now: 'The Lost Boys'. I used to Hitchhike Highway 1 in the Stone Age, and love Santa Cruz where it was filmed. Later in Life, I'd blast over the Hill from Trade Shows in Silly_con Valley, and take in a nice Dinner there on the Corporate Credit Card.

Gilmer's recent Post about Visitors from Gunnison CO made this the Pic to Post. Blue Mesa Reservoir just West of Gunnison where I camped several times this Fall. Gorgeous beyond gorgeous. I hope to Fish it next Season. It's a contendah for the coldest area annually on average in the U.S., and was 7 F Degrees last night. So, I hit the section of the Campground shown below where there's Power to plug in to. Heat good.

We had Aluminum and Flocked 'real' Xmas Trees in SoCal. Color Wheels? Absolutely! And, some lights on the Palm Trees. Kitsch King Charles Phoenix, whom I met in Denver, does some hilarious Slide Shows on these bits of Americana. Taste is no object.

Aluminum Xmas Trees ~ Charles Phoenix

I hope everyone is managing to get their Sobriety a lil further on up this Road this Weekend. Can't beat it with a Stick.

'Further On Up The Road' ~ Joe Bonamassa & Eric Clapton

-----
Old 12-13-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Tetra, those grinch grapes are great! I'm glad you are enjoying your new job. That's great. And you are doing well. It comes across in what you write. Sometimes we are the last to realize that.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I love those grape Grinch's!!!

I took the dog for a short walk around the hood. I love all the lights on all the houses. So pretty.
There is one house on the corner that actually pipes out old time christmas music. Not so loud that the neighbors would complain, you have to get right up to the house to hear it. It is lovely.
As I was standing there listening, I noticed they had a leg lamp in one of the windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (45) (150x131).jpg (33.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-13-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My son is home from college so we just watched the extended version of Desolation of Smaug. Getting prepped to geek out next week at the next Hobbit movie.

Past my bedtime. Gotta go! Good night all!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hey all, checking in before I head to bed. Watched guardians of the galaxy tonight since we got it on dvd on Tuesday.

Tetra-those grapes are just magnificent looking!

Ruby-I hope you're able to enjoy the time and pamper yourself too. When I get extra time, sometimes I just like to just do sit in quiet since it brings me some peace.

Olive-you have some wonderful looking cookies!! That was too funny about the leg lamp. I laughed. Thank you for sharing!!

Mesaman-that was just a magnificent photo. Thank you! Wish I lived in CO.

Does SR have a recipe thread? I was thinking it would be awesome to swap recipes since everyone seems like an awesome cook here.

Hope everyone is having a great night!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Strategery, We could always start a recipe thread. It would go on the cafe forum instead of on the newcomers. Actually, it could be good for tips on cooking without alcohol. Or enjoying food without drinking.

I got a second wind but sadly must go to sleep. I dusted. Watched cheesy television and ate ice cream. Wahoo!! And you know what? As mundane as that sounds, I infinitely prefer a quiet uneventful night at home, not drinking. See you all in the morning!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Morning all ,

Had a grouchy bear in my cave day yesterday . Still not glorious today but am getting over myself .
Time to look at something small and achievable no big decisions need to be made or thought about today .

later , m
Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Had to chuckle last night. .... I sneaked a bottle of pepsimax into my fridge. ....hubby moans at my drinking pop now as well as strong coffee......
So much better than the wine surley?
felt guilty at first that I used to sneak in the wine. ....but got to stop with beating myself up over it...so decided to try and see the funny side of hiding pop.xx
Old 12-14-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning!!!!!!!

Still dark but I have the tree on and kitties purring loudly. Bacon in the oven. I have been laying on a rack and baking it at 375 for about 20 minutes. I like how crispy it gets.

I think I will go to Freeport today. A fun little town of shops and LLBean... Do a little gift buying for my favorite person. ME! I don't have anyone to shop for for Christmas so that shouldn't mean I don't buy anything. We need to keep the economy moving no?

Gym to work off the bacon in a few.

Sorry you are a bear M....
Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

How about a Sunday morning role call... All the new folks or anyone who struggled a bit chime in and say how you will put sobriety first today!

If you drank tell us what your plan is.

I would have high hopes on Fridays and by Sunday morning after a Saturday drinking session... Usually two of the them .. I would feel too guilty to post. I would disappear from SR. but what I forgot was people here noticed.

Put the shame aside and post here or even join us for the first time. We have open arms and good ears!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
How about a Sunday morning role call... All the new folks or anyone who struggled a bit chime in and say how you will put sobriety first today!

If you drank tell us what your plan is.

I would have high hopes on Fridays and by Sunday morning after a Saturday drinking session... Usually two of the them .. I would feel too guilty to post. I would disappear from SR. but what I forgot was people here noticed.

Put the shame aside and post here or even join us for the first time. We have open arms and good ears!
Great idea Weasel!