Notices

I quit my job

Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I quit my job

As some of you know, I was a cook/bartender. Getting through the night without a drink was actually pretty effortless. It is the mentality of my superiors that drove me over the edge. We have a new president. A small, Tom Petty looking man who drinks himself silly every night. He is the type that obviously got picked on a lot in school. Presidency is determined by voting in this establishment. The original choice declined the position and now my little friend here is on a power trip like I have never seen. They do not pay me enough to endure what I have over the past month.
With work NOT in mind, I recited the serenity prayer yesterday afternoon. Careful what you pray for, lol! For those who know the prayer, I guess I got the courage and the wisdom. I have never walked off a job. They called me back in for a meeting, a begging session basically. I said all the right things (I prayed for strength). I couldn't believe what a big girl I was. And I stood my ground.
Yesterday was my first bad day. Genuine, bad day. I cried when I first got home. I wanted to drink. Bad. It was so automatic. I called my sponsor. She didn't answer. I left a message. She still has not called. I called my "grand sponsor" who was perfect. She made me recite the serenity prayer, causing me to understand it. She talked me through the next 10 minutes, all through the craving. She even got me laughing. Then explained that THIS is what a sponsor does.
I have no job. I have no money. I have a little girl. I have Christmas coming. I'm not worried. That's not going to change anything. Welcome self, to a world of new thinking.

Jennifer
Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Getting out of a poisoned environment will be the best thing for you and your little girl. You can get a better job, easy. Imagine how many places that need your skills want to hire a non-drinker.

Go get 'em!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trachemys, I feel like this was the final leg of my active alcoholism I needed to let go. What an unhealthy environment. I started working there when I was actively drinking. Why? I got free drinks of course!!!!

Jennifer
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it took a lot of strength and courage to walk away from that unhealthy environment so props to you for knowing what wasn't working for you You should be very proud of yourself
Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. I feel so pleased for you that you had the courage to stand up for yourself and get out of that horrible environment. All the best for the job hunting I am sure you will find something that's a better fit for the new you.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations for doing what’s needed for your sobriety and sanity. Many times closing one door opens others that are better, not forgetting the situation now.

Also congratulations on using your sponsor(s). That’s a great example of what sponsors are for. I’m willing to bet the one who helped you got as much from you as you did. For us who sponsor it’s a great REMEMBER WHEN.

I’ve been around a lot of years and I get so much out of that prayer each day I jam myself up.

Two examples of HOW IT WORKS.

BE WELL
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Welcome self, to a world of new thinking.
BOOM!

That's going to be a world with a lot of open doors.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I admire your courage and determination.

We might have a drinking problem, but it doesn't mean people can walk all over us.
Kudos to you CountryGirl!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are women, hear is ROAR!!!

I am proud of you CG. It took a lot to do that and you did it. You are doing the work, taking care of what needs to be taken care of so that you can build a better life.

We are with you. Big hugs!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CountryGirl, good for you! I'm happy you got through this. It takes great bravery to do what you did. It's scary and you did it anyway, knowing it was the best decision for you at this time. Clear headed and reasoned. Yay!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you did the right thing.

Working in a bar serving drinks with an asshat boss is not a helpful environment for your recovery.

Something better was just waiting for space to open up in your life--be alert
Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting out of that ill sounding environment. Keep the faith, especially stay sober, and I'm sure things will be OK for you. One foot in front of the other now. Good Luck ! MJM
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am proud of you. It took courage to make that call. I know a better job is waiting round the bend.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love the word "asshat". I needed that giggle.

My daughter just handed me a warning she got from school. She tried to hide it.

It looks like my higher power is throwing some test shots at me at the time. It was going too easy. Meeting today.

These simple, everyday things is an example of what I would drink away. And trust me, I want to. I'm not going to in the next hour. An hour at a time today. I don't like ugly feelings that I can't control.

Jennifer
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love it. How many times have I said "Take this job and shove it!" for all the wrong reasons. Congrats on taking care of YOU!~
Old 12-11-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done CG
Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your power move. We left the bottle because we demanded something better. It's awesome to see that applied to life outside of booze. You made a wonderful decision. We must stand-up in the face of oppression from misguided fools
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you. The very best Christmas gift for you or your little girl is your sobriety. If that situation was a threat to that, it had to go. Your sobriety has to be #1. We are all so proud of you, you are doing so very well. I am also glad the other sponsor was able to help you, that is wonderful!

Tight hugs, you did the right thing!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations, countrygirl; that took wisdom and courage.

Looking forward to hearing about your next and better job.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you are taking care of you under extreme circumstances and that takes GUTS....you are strong ...I just pray for the 'next door to open' for you and it will be a GREAT one.