Notices

Hello everyone 40 days!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone 40 days!

Hi everyone,
I'm happily going to sleep sober tonight for the 40th night in a row. I didn't think this was possible 41 days ago so it's pretty amazing for me. I have read some of the threads here during that time and I have to say you are all so strong, so tough, so delicate, so real and you have helped me when I wasn't sure why I was staying sober. So thank you. I'm full of thoughts I want to share.

So far I will attribute my success to about a year of preparation which has included therapy, yoga, meditation, facing my fears and building boundaries. Had I not spent the time doing that I'd be drunk right now. I'm also busy with my children, husband, job, family and friends.

It's weird I feel like there is so much more time in the day and I love all my people more. But I am still full of anger, anxiety, irritation and so on. I just don't get quite as well apocalyptic about those feelings now. I am dealing with them. It's not fun.

Also, I'm not sure where this is all headed. I'm relieved to be 40 days sober. It hasn't been as hard as I expected. But I hadn't made any promises or declaration about to my intentions from here on out either. I'm thinking 6 months and then do a review? Anyone else ever feel this way? My husband still actively drinks and tonight I let him know it'd be easier if we were both on the same page about dealing with our lives and being sober.

Thanks for reading if you got this far and thanks again for all you've shared.

11Stars
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR 11 Stars
I think declarations are really down to individual choice.

I told everybody but I regret that now - I don't think it was necessary for me to make any grand declarations in order to recover - those who knew me best knew I was a drunk, and those who knew me less were worried.

The only thing I find necessary to say these days, several years on, is 'no thanks...I don't drink '
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi 11Stars. Welcome to SR.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're off to a great start!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's not just amazing going to sleep sober 40 nights in a row; it's waking up without a hangover and self-rebuke too.

Well done.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A huge congratulations!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You must be so happy, I'm happy for you!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I feel like a stranger in a strange land sometimes these days so it's nice to hear from you!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, Welcome!

Keep coming back, many good people with a lot of diversity

FlyN
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! A real testament to the fact that not drinking is just part of it. Great list of things you're doing to support your sobriety!!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, 11Stars; congrats on 40 days.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 11Stars View Post
My husband still actively drinks and tonight I let him know it'd be easier if we were both on the same page about dealing with our lives and being sober.
First, welcome and congrats on 40 days! I'm fairly new here myself and can honestly say that it's been a big help for me.

My husband doesn't drink, but is a really heavy pot smoker (not my thing at all), and we've been undergoing some delicate negotiations about boundaries and common goals. So what you said resonates with me for sure. It feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back most of the time. Those are hard conversations.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerri11 View Post
First, welcome and congrats on 40 days! I'm fairly new here myself and can honestly say that it's been a big help for me.

My husband doesn't drink, but is a really heavy pot smoker (not my thing at all), and we've been undergoing some delicate negotiations about boundaries and common goals. So what you said resonates with me for sure. It feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back most of the time. Those are hard conversations.
Thank you Jerri11! It might be the hardest part of this all. When he asked me why it mattered the very first thing that came to my mind was "it's lonely doing this by myself" - which I told him. Then we talked a bit about dealing with our anxiety and managing our home life without "checking out". He tried to say I caused his anxiety but I did say that every part of his life is his choice. It was a good short conversation. Not sure where it'll go but happy to have clearly communicated whatever the outcome is. Good luck to you, your sobriety and your partnership with your husband!!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. And well done on those 40 days!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR 11 Stars
I think declarations are really down to individual choice.

I told everybody but I regret that now - I don't think it was necessary for me to make any grand declarations in order to recover - those who knew me best knew I was a drunk, and those who knew me less were worried.

The only thing I find necessary to say these days, several years on, is 'no thanks...I don't drink '
Thanks Dee74! I hear what you're saying. I've gotten more of the "why?" question from folks whom I've told I'm not drinking. For lack of a desire to talk about my fears and uncertainties except my husband I just say it's for my health. Which it is! And so I remind myself of that if I get that twingy feeling right around 6 that wants to "unwind". My goal right now is to not drink until I don't ever get that feeling again.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on forty days sober!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR