Notices

1st AA Meeting

Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st AA Meeting

I'm finding EVERY excuse not to go to my 1st meeting this afternoon. Everything like "rainy weather" to "my social anxiety issues" are on full blast in my head right now. I'm the queen of anticipatory anxiety. I also think deep down inside my distorted alcoholic voice is staying "you don't really have a problem..." Right. I can't drink. Period. I will never be a one or two drink person who drinks on special occasions. Not in this lifetime!

I need a kick in the rear. Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There. AA meetings are the kindest, gentlest places ever. They won't make you talk, you can just sit quietly and listen.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just go. Really, just go. You will not be alone for long; someone will welcome you in no time.

Whether you really need it or not, it's just an excellent experience/adventure. You will learn something worth knowing.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was terrified to go to my "first" meeting too (I say that because it's the first I was sincere about and actually nervous to attend).

That was Sunday, I hadn't slept in 2 days, was still kind of hallucinating from withdrawal and just generally anxious. It's hard, but go. It gets easier after that, nervousness-wise. The people are kind and have seen it all before. You don't have to say anything, or share. But I do encourage getting your welcome chip and hug, it feels really good afterwards.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go and then write back and tell us how it went.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

I have major anxiety even thinking about being in groups, so I had to really force myself to walk through those AA meeting doors. I would suggest that you think of it like this: If you want to accomplish something you never have before, you're going to have to do things you never had done before. Allow yourself to leave your comfort zone.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, and buy a Big Book. Best $10 I've ever spent.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yoo kin doo it!

It's honestly like ripping off a sticky bandaid. Yeah it's uncomfortable for like - one second. But once it's off - you never have to deal with the uncomfortableness again, and you'll find great relief in making it through that yucky moment for a greater purpose
Old 12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm thinkin the excuses are a result of fear- possibly fear of the unknown. Good time to get Some courage and i hope that fear of the known- what could result from not getting help, which I'm willing to say you can go further down into the pits of alcoholism- will help you make what could possibly be the best move of your life.

We don't bite. Seriously.....we don't.

Yer worth the help so get yer arse to a meeting.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Completely understand.......know many who have come and won't walk in or turned around in the parking lot.

I have found it really is a remarkable experience. Without judgment, I can listen and interact if I choose and be surrounded by those who are different, but all have a common problem. I then found there is a common solution which may be somewhat tailored to your journey and experience.

But, you will have to go and get outside your comfort zone some
We don't bite and there really are no secret handshakes.

Keep posting, and keep coming back!
Welcome, friend......
FlyN
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You will meet a whole lot of people who are not one or two drink people. They all had to go to their first meeting also, and every single one of them remembers what it was like.

I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OP, definitely go!!! It's worth it.

Originally Posted by BirdsAteMyFace View Post
Oh, and buy a Big Book. Best $10 I've ever spent.
I just bought one today after losing my old one more than a year ago. It's already really helped me today. One of the stories really resonated with me.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

FEAR
F... Everything And Run or
Face Everything And Recover.
It's your call and like TomSteve said, we don't bite (well I rarely do and only if a newcomer to the meeting zooms in for that one double chocolate chip cookie I was eyeing).
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hoep you decide to go Sarah - what have you got to lose?

D
Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Sarah- I went to my first AA meeting this past Saturday. I was equally as nervous as you are, but it was so worth it. Everyone was SO kind to me and extremely caring. All I did was raise my hand and introduce myself when they asked whose first meeting it was. The rest of the time I just sat and listened to the speaker. The hardest part is physically getting yourself there. You can do it!!!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anything that helps your recovery is worth doing.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!! I made it. The first 20 minutes I was anxious as heck. My palms were cold and sweaty and I wanted to excuse myself and run out the door. But I told myself to just chill out, there's nothing to be afraid of. Then they called upon the newcomers to share.

I met two ladies, one who asked to be my sponsor and the other who gave me her card and told me to call her anytime, if I get the urge to drink.

I'm going back tomorrow
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Oh I am so so excited for you Sarah!! Congratulations going to your first meeting!!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats! Go to another one tomorrow! Today will be my fourth in a row and I'm actually excited about it.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
FEAR
F... Everything And Run or
Face Everything And Recover.
It's your call and like TomSteve said, we don't bite (well I rarely do and only if a newcomer to the meeting zooms in for that one double chocolate chip cookie I was eyeing).
Although Not a biter, I have gotten a little crazy myself when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. But Today the knife I use is plastic. PROGRESS!!!!!!