Notices

Had enough

Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had enough

Sick of feeling so down I don't want to get up, lethargic, shattered, no go in me whatsoever to do anything at all.

Struggling to see when things will improve here as they have become progressively worse over the last 10 days or so.

I feel so tired all of the time, but can't sleep properly, when I wake up I'm bad tempered and hate the fact I have to get up.

What the hell is going on?? 62 days
Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Most of us dranmk for years....It takes different time for different people, Stewy. Like I've said before it took me around three months to feel good again.

If you're this down, why not see a Dr? Rule out any other issues?

D
Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying D

I've been to the dr and had a blood test done for thyroid and liver functioning. The dr asked me if I felt depressed to which I replied no. I really have no idea if I am or not. I have desire to feel better, but my body doesn't seem to match my enthusiasm, surely that is not the actions of somebody who is depressed?

I've read back my other posts and considered some of the advice. I just don't get it! I was doing well and felt great then all of a sudden bam!!

I'm seeing the dr for a follow up app on the 15th to discuss blood test results and I have been referred to counselling for anxiety too.

This is no fun
Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Stewy,

This is not a medical diagnosis (please understand that), but you are describing the symptons of Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid).

Ask your Dr to review the test results and ensure your Thyroxine levels are normal.

I went through having dangerously low Thyroxine Levels in my blood. Thyroxine regulates the metabolism, when you are deplete you feel drained and exhausted and all the other symptoms mentioned in your opening post. It can often be life threatening.

I even considered drinking again last year before I was diagnosed to feel normal again, how crazy is that.

Drinking the poison that made you ill, hoping to get better.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is the outcome for you now? Do you feel better?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I take Thyroid Hormone tablets as I needed an operation to remove my Thyroid Gland.
Once your on the tablets (no side effects), you start to return to normal in around 10 days.
I feel like the old me is back, just without the booze so feeling much better all round.

When the problem is hormonal, no amount of trying to be cheery or talking therapy will help, you need medication. Once your on the right amount of medication, your will your energy back, you will not feel depressed (physically and mentally) and you come to realise as I did, that when you give up alcohol, it tends to uncover previously disguised problems that you didnt notice before because you were drunk, at least in my case.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno Stewy - whenever I'm depressed I have the desire to get better too - but often I just can't seem to muster the motivation and energy to do anything about it and my head gets full of despairing thoughts like 'this is never get better' 'what's the use' etc

D
Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have an apt with your doctor. Be sure to write down all your symptoms and bring the list with you. Many of us minimize once we are in the exam room. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm still in bed and it's 1pm in the afternoon, this is not right at all
Old 12-10-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch Stewy. Just remember that drinking is never the answer. I hope you feel better and get answers soon! Congrats on 62 days.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last edited by ForMeForThem; 12-10-2014 at 05:13 AM. Reason: delete double post
Old 12-10-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im very sorry you're going through this, Stewy. Try to not make it worse than it is by catastrophizing. Good on you that you are seeing your doc to figure this out. Keep us posted, will you?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stewy, you know yourself. When you see the doctor, tell him/her what you've been telling us. It certainly sounds like there is something wrong, whether it's depression/seasonal depression or even lack of Vitamin D. Lots of things could be causing this.

Keep searching for answers and don't try to cure it with alcohol! You know, we get accustomed to the euphoria that alcohol provided. That high is gone now, forever. I got used to the lower level of energy with exercise and healthy diet and eight hours of sleep. It took a few months, though. Hang in. That manic feeling of being intoxicated is not a good thing.

Hope you can get out of the house today.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel low and all the thoughts of drinking are coming back. Just had a blazing row with my girlfriend.

Trying to give up ps4 because I think I'm hooked on that.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And they've got no ******* appointments until Monday!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stewy, it sounds like you're trying to work up reasons to drink.

Can you go to an AA meeting? Or how about reaching out to some old friend you haven't talked with in a while?

There is nothing but misery in that bottle. This low feeling is going to pass - it's all part of healing. Don't drink at it.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd say give up PS4 later. Can you just limit your time to two hours at a time? It isn't good to spend all day there, that's for sure. Set a timer.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have all these horrible physical feelings, can't concentrate, relax, engage in anything. Worrying about all kinds of things.

Now I'm not going to see the gp until Monday that's another 5 days of feeling like this
Old 12-10-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

If you can manage it , get up and go for a walk. Leave your money and just start walking, go until it seems silly and then go a little more. It will get you some fresh air and exercise and may help put the idea of forward steps in your mind. It may help even if sounds silly, and it definately will not hurt. Go!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Been through a lot of the same things you describe. Tired a lot no matter how much sleep I get. Would rather just stay in bed a lot of times, but that is not an option. I'm not far ahead of you in sobriety, so I hope that we can chalk this up to our bodies readjusting to not having booze running through it all the time.