Notices

50 days sober. Looking for some new forms of support.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 days sober. Looking for some new forms of support.

Hey Everyone. I finally quit 50 days ago after 5 years of drinking and 2 years of daily vodka drinking. I've been having a lot of trouble lately. Some days I'm happy but have a lot of thoughts about how maybe I'm not even an alcoholic and forgetting the bad times. I know I need to be focusing a loooot more on my recovery. I'm really slipping I can feel it.

Umm aside from that I'm 25, female from Canada! Lots of good has happened to me in the last 50 days.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of good support here for those difficult moments.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you ever think you are not an alcoholic or forget the bad times, just have a look at some of the stories here and see if they don't sound familiar. Read around and post often!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
This place has a lot of support.
Congrats on 50 days!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Alisony! Wonderful support & encouragement here
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Alison

SR certainly helped me when I started to rationalise - it's much harder to do that when you read other peoples stories and have your own old posts to refer to

D
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

its the old merry go round were we forget just how bad drinking really was and then maybe it might not be so bad after all kicks in and then of course well i will just have one as i can not hurt with just one

i am in aa so the meetings always remind me of were i have come from, from a new comer walking in who is either trying to give up or on there first days of being sober they remind me so its like looking in a mirror at where i have come from

i would suggest aa would be a good place if nothing else but to help you remember just what the drink did to you but it does a lot more than that

good luck to you and well done
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi Alison....I think there might be three things that you can do that may help:

1) take an evening and type out the 10 most embarrassing or tragic things that happened to you because of your drinking. Type what happened and how it felt, warts and all
2) rewrite or reread your recovery plan so that you are clear about what you need to do and focus on to remain sober. Make changes if you feel that you need to.
3) read this thread and find the top 10 threads that break your heart. The stories that you can relate to that are just tragic and shocking and that make you never want to drink again

Print out all the pages from the above and staple them together. This is now your go to bible to remind you of what will happen if you drink again.
Keep reading, keep researching and keep learning. You are so young and now you are 50 days in....its all good, so take it from me as an alcoholic of 20 years...you have far, far, far more to lose than to gain by ever drinking again. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Alison, you'll find a lot of support here.