Notices

Alcohol causes...

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol causes...

stress, anxiety, nerve damage, liver damage, mood swings, and the list goes on...how in the heck I let this disease take over my life for 3-4 years....I am so glad, that I let it go....be gone and never come back....Thank goodness that all my organs are still safe....IJS....
Old 12-09-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good list!

It took 20 years for me to realize Alcohol creates the illusion of happiness. In short I was searching for something outside of myself for happiness. Nowa days, I'm content with my tea, some ice cream, and just enjoying life.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Took me way too long myself, before I came to my senses. I wish I would have 'smartened up' sooner.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being free of the alcohol induced anxiety is priceless.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The daily hangovers/withdrawal are what did me in. I used to think withdrawals meant rolling around on the floor in pain. Nope! You can be giving presentations at the office and be going through withdrawals. No thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

If I can go the rest of my life without drinking alcohol again, it is not a wasted life.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

.....the brain to convince the body to destroy itself and to think it is enjoying the process
Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took 11 years for me to realize it. And 3 more years of back/forth..failed attempts, false starts whatever you want to call it...until I just surrendered. I am so glad you stopped the madness before its to late. Good job!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I struggle before I let go alcohol
Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yeah, it's only just occurred to me in the last few months how damaging it really is.

The more I stay off it the more I realise exactly what it was doing to me. At first I thought it was just stomach/liver problems.

Now I realise it affected the circulation in my legs quite badly and my skin, gums, teeth and eyesight. Co-ordination, memory, and general performance too. Not to mention constant dehydration.

Alcohol truly is a poison.

I thank the Universe, SR and AA for bringing me into the light at last.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Yeah, it's only just occurred to me in the last few months how damaging it really is.

The more I stay off it the more I realise exactly what it was doing to me. At first I thought it was just stomach/liver problems.

Now I realise it affected the circulation in my legs quite badly and my skin, gums, teeth and eyesight. Co-ordination, memory, and general performance too. Not to mention constant dehydration.

Alcohol truly is a poison.

I thank the Universe, SR and AA for bringing me into the light at last.

Likewise, I thought I was suffering no side effects of my extreme drinking until I quit. Then I realised that I was in fact cracking at the seams all over. Amazing that the booze clouded my judgement to such an extent.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful alcohol can be, where it can convince our minds that it is fine and helpful yet be literally destroying all aspects of our mental and physical well being.

I truly hope that as my kids grow up they will know alcohol as a dangerous habit similar to smoking - most kids living on my side of world (Ontario, Canada) are taught through school the effects of smoking and it is banned in public places.

It'd be great if the same resources were put into educating kids about the negative consequences of alcohol.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, just like everyone else said...it is crazy...and JanieJ you are right especially about the skin, gums and teeth...I mean really....and don't talk about the circulation....wow...that was a mess in it self...numerous trips back and forth to the E.R. thinking that you are having a stroke or heart attack and to come to find out that it was just the alcohol making you think that you were really going through those things...I DON'T NEED THAT IN MY LIFE...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've also noticed that after only 5 days, the joint pain (in my knees, elbows, and hips) is almost gone! Amazing!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Likewise, I thought I was suffering no side effects of my extreme drinking until I quit. Then I realised that I was in fact cracking at the seams all over. Amazing that the booze clouded my judgement to such an extent.
Same here
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinking made my panic attacks and anxiety 100 times worse during the day. Towards the end I felt compelled to drink in the morning to stop the panic attacks. This would only continue the viscous cycle. I knew I needed help. wth was I thinking that alcohol was the solution?