Notices

If I'm drunk....

Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I'm drunk....

It won't matter that my house is a wreck.

It won't matter that my bills are past due.

My job situation won't suck.

My romantic life will seem better.

How stupid...these are things the voices inside my head are crying out. I can see the complete stupidity of it, because all of those things will still be TRUE, I just won't be as aware of them. Because my senses will be deadened, they will temporarily seem like they are better.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

I have definitely experienced these voices, and I just have to stay level headed and objective about these AV thoughts
Old 12-09-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...holds the key

So true!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
It won't matter that my house is a wreck.

It won't matter that my bills are past due.

My job situation won't suck.

My romantic life will seem better.

How stupid...these are things the voices inside my head are crying out. I can see the complete stupidity of it, because all of those things will still be TRUE, I just won't be as aware of them. Because my senses will be deadened, they will temporarily seem like they are better.
These are all incredibly "solvable" things...if you are sober.

They will remain unsolved...guaranteed....if you drink. Right now...right in this moment...don't worry about any of those (very solvable) things. Stay sober. That's it.

Everything is temporary. Everything passes and everything changes.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are doing well by exposing your av on the page

This will help
Old 12-09-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it is amazing what that stupid little voice can come out with and it's so darn believable sometimes. I like the one that says things will actually improve if I drink. Actually it's kind of funny in retrospect :=]
Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
These are all incredibly "solvable" things...if you are sober.

They will remain unsolved...guaranteed....if you drink. Right now...right in this moment...don't worry about any of those (very solvable) things. Stay sober. That's it.

Everything is temporary. Everything passes and everything changes.
Thank you. This was ENORMOUSLY helpful.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyroo72 View Post
Yeah, it is amazing what that stupid little voice can come out with and it's so darn believable sometimes. I like the one that says things will actually improve if I drink. Actually it's kind of funny in retrospect :=]
Yep. I've got that one screaming at me right now. Somehow, it is telling me that things really, really, really will improve if I drink. My God, this voice is insane.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

delusional thinking at it's finest!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a regular one that says,"Whats the point of working hard if you can't reward yourself with getting wasted". Well if I reward myself with that there is no way I would be working hard the next day anyway. So crazy.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everything your addiction says is a lie

Think that way and things will get a lot easier NightNDay

If drinking was that beneficial, we'd have never stopped.

D
Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sober, and right now I don't give a **** that my house is a wreck, some bills are past due, my work relationships are sketchy, and I have no love life at all.

Feeling like I'm on the right track with sobriety over-rides all my guilt about the above just as effectively as drinking did.

I don't know how long "pride in sobriety" gets to pull the uber-over-ride, but at almost 4 months, I still get to wake up each day feeling proud of myself NO MATTER WHAT because I am sober.

I do miss all the drunken love action a little bit though - my ability to have a decent relationship was bottomed out, but I had many drunkard suitors. Made me feel so purty!

I'm smart enough to know that pseudo relationships with drunk strangers doesn't count as a love life, but I got to have all that anticipatory excitement as I considered the possibilities...now its just me, and it would take a real true love to claim me sober...

Bottom line - you can't believe anything the voice tells you. It is a cunning and clever seducer. Every passing day of sobriety, every experience you move through sober (good and bad), every time you hear the voice and counter it with a reason of your own - it will lose a little bit of power. I don't know that it every goes away, and it can re-emerge unexpectedly and powerfully, but - in general - it has less and less place in your life, and ultimately its suggestions just seem ludicrous and out of sync with who you have become...
Old 12-09-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
Because my senses will be deadened, they will temporarily seem like they are better.
Yup.

The part of your mind that knows getting drunk has no chance of making any of those things better and has the potential to make all of them worse would stop recognizing the lies your addiction is telling you. Crafty little bugger that voice - it knows exactly what we want to hear.

Work on that list of things. Make them better. Make your addiction work harder to come up with a fresh lie. It's just a rat in a cage. Poke it with a stick.

You can do this!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I'm sober, and right now I don't give a **** that my house is a wreck, some bills are past due, my work relationships are sketchy, and I have no love life at all.

Feeling like I'm on the right track with sobriety over-rides all my guilt about the above just as effectively as drinking did.

I don't know how long "pride in sobriety" gets to pull the uber-over-ride, but at almost 4 months, I still get to wake up each day feeling proud of myself NO MATTER WHAT because I am sober.

I do miss all the drunken love action a little bit though - my ability to have a decent relationship was bottomed out, but I had many drunkard suitors. Made me feel so purty!

I'm smart enough to know that pseudo relationships with drunk strangers doesn't count as a love life, but I got to have all that anticipatory excitement as I considered the possibilities...now its just me, and it would take a real true love to claim me sober...

Bottom line - you can't believe anything the voice tells you. It is a cunning and clever seducer. Every passing day of sobriety, every experience you move through sober (good and bad), every time you hear the voice and counter it with a reason of your own - it will lose a little bit of power. I don't know that it every goes away, and it can re-emerge unexpectedly and powerfully, but - in general - it has less and less place in your life, and ultimately its suggestions just seem ludicrous and out of sync with who you have become...
This.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tons of drinkers have lots their job, ruined relationships, etc.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I think that is the answer there, heartcore. 'Pride in sobriety' will replace itself with 'pride in self', and that is the ticket that can take you anywhere you want to go. NO MATTER WHAT. Fantastic!