Notices

How Long....

Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Long....

Hi all! I was just wondering how long the alcohol obsession normally lasts. I have been sober for 7 days. I am still obsessing about it. I have been going to AA and whenever i'm not there all I think about is drinking. I was a heavy drinker (15-24) a day so it was an awful miserable life. I want to get better And I know a drink won't help but I still want one badly. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first month was the toughest, I found. I was never really "obsessed" on a daily basis, and I'm not sure if that's because I was mostly a binge drinker? But I certainly had some cravings and urges hit me a few times very early on... and still do have an occasional thought or image pop up.

I found the strong desire left me as soon as I decided to get sober for good.

As time goes on, I see how much better off I am without alcohol, and so that in turn reinforces my desire to not only steer clear of it, but to engage in my life more. Things shifted from "not drinking" to "living a sober life" and now to "living life."
Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My experience has been 2 weeks of continuous sobriety for the cravings to pretty much go away. However, I will note that each time I relapsed (was usually day 9 or 10), the cravings came right back and were pure hell to deal with all over again. However, I have been working at this hard since late October in getting sober, so I am not sure if it's just the two weeks of continuous sobriety (almost 3 weeks now) or if the cravings lessening reflects my continued work on getting sober.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mbrett cravings will come & go in early sobriety the main thing to remember is that you dont have to drink pick up a phone & phone someone go fo a walk do something to take your mind off it

read loads on sr involve yourself in more threads etc

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Remember you got us 24/7 for support
Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok, im not looking forward to this but I guess the worst part is over (seizure last thursday). I'm gonna try to stay busy today until the 8pm AA meeting. Thank you both for your thoughts!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you seen a doctor about the seizure?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you have talked to your dr.?

For me, the intense cravings lasted a few weeks.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
The first month was the toughest, I found. I was never really "obsessed" on a daily basis, and I'm not sure if that's because I was mostly a binge drinker? But I certainly had some cravings and urges hit me a few times very early on... and still do have an occasional thought or image pop up.

I found the strong desire left me as soon as I decided to get sober for good.

As time goes on, I see how much better off I am without alcohol, and so that in turn reinforces my desire to not only steer clear of it, but to engage in my life more. Things shifted from "not drinking" to "living a sober life" and now to "living life."
Great post - thank you for this Jennie. I'm at Day 16 and Brett, the "cravings" have definitely been subsiding over the last week or so...it really does get better with every day...
Old 12-09-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was admitted to the hospital at the time. I have not seen my dr.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cravings essentially "hijack" the brain. They are hard and heavy at first but as you have experienced...they pass right? They get less intense and much further apart as time passes.

I too was more of a binge drinker...but I have other addictions/obsessions/attachments. The initial separation from any of attachment is intense for a couple or few weeks...it's like your mind just want to return to the "scene of the crime" often. It is uncomfortable...but you can most certainly get through it. You get stronger as you get through each crave ..each day..and the grip/obsession lessens.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tend to take the approach since you most likely are detoxed physically that the craving originates from the habitual aspect of drinking.

When we drank for a long time, we are used to doing it. We have to put distance and create new sober memories and habits.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mbrett

I think most of us find that obsession lasts months rather than weeks...I mean think about it - we drank for years...you can't expect that obsession and addiction to disappear in a week...it's just not feasible.

That's why support is so important, and so is a good recovery plan.

What are you doing apart from SR?

D
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Reads like you have a good topic for the meeting. While there get phone numbers and the big book. Until your next meeting, read the big book, call some of them numbers, don't drink, and pray.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hit 15 aa meetings in the last 6 days... still freaking out though
Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had just a glimpse of not obsessing today and it was down right weird, but feels really good. I'm not disillusioned that all is good, but I am appreciating the fact that I feel ok right now. Kind of like the saying 'take time to smell the roses' try to be aware of the good moments, they're there, even in this early stage. I think it's just easy to overlook!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mbrett View Post
I hit 15 aa meetings in the last 6 days... still freaking out though
Don't give up 10 seconds before the miracle happens.

Good to read so many meetings.
Do you have a sponsor?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

no sponsor yet... getting ready to leave to hit the night meeting now so i'll post again after 9pm EST. Thank you for all your replies. Much abliged.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm very impressed with the amount of meetings so far...that is what it takes for many of us at first. I give anyone a fighting chance if they are willing to go to those lengths.

WTG
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have noticed that the more sobriety I have, the clearer my thinking is. So, when those thoughts come up, I'm better able to see it for what it is and find positive ways to deal with it. For me, for the first couple of weeks, I stayed very busy, went to meetings, stayed on SR a lot, and pretty much toughed it out. It got easier once the cloud was lifted, although I still do all the things I mentioned.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It was day 84 and I was getting ready for bed when the thought hit me, I didn't think about drinking all day today. 25 years a slave, but that night I climbed into bed and the freedom settled warmly around me like a down comforter.

Stay the course. Freedom awaits you, too.