Notices

Romanticizing alcohol

Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Poison, Yes!!!

You deserve sooo much more in your life(we all do ) than allowing King Alcohol to rule our world!!

Quitting for yourself is a huge key!
Keep it with you, and destroy the beast that wants it back.

Perhaps it could be your avatar!

Glad you're here friend!
Kind Regards,
FlyN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
golden key.jpg (5.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
...I kinda thought it would be easier getting sober this time since it's something I wanted...something I'm doing for myself. What a fool!!
You are not a fool. And it does become easier. But not at day 5 of your recovery.

Once you embrace a sober lifestyle, and by that I mean living and loving your sober life, not just abstaining from alcohol, you'll find it easier to not romanticize drinking.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks y'all...such good stuff here.
It's just thoughts...yep, just thoughts...really loud obnoxious thoughts...but thoughts just the same.
I'm still sober. And I am so grateful I woke up sober this morning. And I desperately am trying to embrace a sober lifestyle cause abstaining just sounds like a punishment!

And I think I will use that key as my avatar! Thanks Flynbuy!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well done on staying sober, Brynn
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

^^^This is so true. Thank you
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Have you read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp?

I think it would help you understand the love/hate relationship with alcohol.
This is a great book which really resonated with me on many levels.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I find it irrational that I romanticize my last drink. I don't know if anyone understands this, but for instance, today is Day 1 for me (again) and I keep thinking "what's so special about December 9th being my last drinking date... there are stronger dates out there.

Maybe it's just my AV.

Good thread topic
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on day 5 Brynn and many more to come!
It will get easier and the longer you stay sober, the more quiet the AV will get.
I hope you are still safe at your friend's.
Have you been looking around at recovery methods and/or formulating a plan?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks y'all. I did get the book today and can't wait to start reading it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Ok so...recovery methods...I know what I'm NOT interested in and that is AA. Last time I tried getting sober I went to AA and ended up in an affair with one of the group leaders whom had absolutely no problem bedding me while I was actively drinking in front of him.
Left a bitter taste in my mouth, cause even I knew what he was doing wouldn't be tolerated by the group. I know, I know...he's a bad apple, but I feel like he took advantage of me when I was in a bad way...maybe I shouldn't be saying all that, but i know AA is a big deal around here and I feel kind of like a leper since i dont want to jump on the bandwagon.
AA doesn't really resonate with me anyway it don't think.
Other than that, I'm really not sure.
I'm kind of floundering around I guess. My SO is an alcoholic to so I'm just trying to stay away from him so I'm not tempted.
All this sounds really lame doesn't it? Ugh!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
The romance of anything usually exists solely in our heads. The romance is such a big part of addiction. Who wants to let go of....romance? It's heady stuff. But ..it's ILLUSION...

My love affair with wine never looks nor feels the way it does "in my head". In my head, that wine is part of some personality that I desire that is eating baguettes and cheese on some sidewalk cafe in Paris. I think I'm wearing Audrey Hepburn sunglasses...yes, yes..and...there's a white scarf round my neck. There she is...laughing...sipping wine.

Ya. No. The reality is...more often than not...I was drinking wine in old yoga pants..that are kinda grey after too many washings, whilst I did laundry...until I passed out. I would then wake up in the morning and have to look at my phone and Facebook to see if I had any damage control to do.

The romance will always be there...in my head...but it is NEVER my reality. EVER.
Ditto.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Thanks y'all. I did get the book today and can't wait to start reading it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Ok so...recovery methods...I know what I'm NOT interested in and that is AA. Last time I tried getting sober I went to AA and ended up in an affair with one of the group leaders whom had absolutely no problem bedding me while I was actively drinking in front of him.
Left a bitter taste in my mouth, cause even I knew what he was doing wouldn't be tolerated by the group. I know, I know...he's a bad apple, but I feel like he took advantage of me when I was in a bad way...maybe I shouldn't be saying all that, but i know AA is a big deal around here and I feel kind of like a leper since i dont want to jump on the bandwagon.
AA doesn't really resonate with me anyway it don't think.
Other than that, I'm really not sure.
I'm kind of floundering around I guess. My SO is an alcoholic to so I'm just trying to stay away from him so I'm not tempted.
All this sounds really lame doesn't it? Ugh!
Maybe try a woman's group!
AA gets on my nerves with the religious stuff, but I still love going. I love the support and sharing, plus it gets me out of the house.
But even if you don't want to go that's ok, lots of people have gotten sober without it, whatever works for ya!
Btw! Creepy about the guy at AA! Wow!