Notices

Drinking a lot of coffee

Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking a lot of coffee

Is it common to start drinking a lot of coffee?
I'm talking both hot(in the morning) and ice coffee in the afternoon and early night. Probably drinking about double what I used to drink on a daily basis.
I'm coming up on 17 months sober in a few weeks.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually cut way back on coffee once I quit drinking, the caffiene really started affecting me in a negative way anxiety wise.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Slightly more in the morning, 2 cups more, nothing significant.

But I down mineral water like there is no tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have some anxiety, but more awake and aware than anything.
I'm drinking lots of seltzer water, like 6-8 cans a day.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

i have maybe 2 cups of tea a day
Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

So you've doubled your coffee intake and are drinking a lot of seltzer water. Probably more than the demand of thirst. So while there is little harm in drinking water and coffee, you might ask yourself, "Why so much?"

There must be a need that is being met. One that isn't be met by a moderate intake of these beverages.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Omg... So much coffee!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank a little more when I first got sober. I now drink 1-3 cups per day. I'm also drinking tea, but mostly in the evening.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to be a very heavy coffee drinker but as my alcohol intake increased, I cut that down. After getting sober, I started drinking more coffee again but I had to moderate it because it made my anxiety worse and interfered with my sleep that was pretty crappy to start with. Now I drink 1-2 cups most days and never after 4-5 pm. I really like coffee and am personally not a fan of the idea that we should only eat and drink what we need for nutrition and cut every indulgence out; coffee for me at this dose does not hurt me in any way.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congrats on the immpending 17 months! My coffee consumption varies. Sometimes I drink none at all for months or longer and sometimes I choose to indulge. I am indulging right now lol. I tend to drink coffee more in the winter, for me it's more warming than herbal teas. If it's affecting you adversley or you're concerned I would be a little more careful.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was worried a couple months ago and tapered down to 2 big strong cups every morning. I'm now back up to 3/4 pot and and pitcher of iced tea in afternoon. It's what I like. I generally don't go carbonated unless its an energy drink. I SHOULD drink more water- Tell my kids to. No health problems I'm aware of from it. I go back and forth.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do drink more coffee when I am sober. I told my doctor I drink 4 cups a day and she didn't have a problem with it.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OX

I've always been a big coffee drinker. Used to be coffee and then booze. Then it was a combo. Now just coffee. but lots of it. tea, soday, seltzer. But I'm less than a week in. Congrats on your time. that's awesome
Old 12-09-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have 1-2 cups of coffee per day. I will usually have a diet pepsi in the afternoon as well. I have no plans to change this unless anxiety becomes more of a problem or my sleep is disrupted.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

At 17 months of sobriety, I would be doubtful that your increased coffee consumption has anything to do with quitting booze (unless you have been drinking that much coffee for the whole 17 months)...

For me, caffeine seemed to create a cycle where I wouldn't get to bed as early, therefore, would get less sleep, and then I would drink more coffee to get through the next day. I don't drink it anymore...
Old 12-09-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've started to think that caffeine has been the main catalyst in my alcoholism, ocd and that kind of chemical compulsiveness all along.

Stopping its use hasn't permanently seemed to affect my mental shape or acuity, memory. Stopping it has been rather unpleasant and real work, like alcohol but never need it anymore.

Drinking too much can and will most likely have unneeded consequences, such as diarrhea and agitation or/and restlessness. Have you ever noticed feeling depressed without coffee? I used to drink a ton and liked it very much. But now stopped, for at least a year. Just getting off it, has told many things about it.
If you're worried maybe you could try cutting back on your caffeine? Maybe easier said than done. And indeed the question why so much coffee at this point in recovery. 17 Months is really huge and congratulations about that.
Well, don't know if it's normal but too much is too much, of anything.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's probably more to do with worrying and free time Bob.
if you're concerned, it's not going to do any harm to cut back?

D
Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I first quit, I went from drinking 1 cup of coffee a week to drinking 2 cups a day. As someone mentioned earlier.. maybe there is a need being met with all the caffeine. I've definitely noticed that. My caffeine intake has at least quadrupled. Energy drinks, coffee, tea.. I just can't get enough. Makes me feel good. While there's nothing wrong with drinking coffee, definitely take a step back and see if you're replacing the buzz of alcohol with the caffeine (like in my case).
Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drank large amounts of coffee during my drinking years. I gave up alcohol recently mainly due to anxiety and severe panic attacks. I decided to cut back on the coffee at the same time because I was drinking a lot of it - maybe 1.5 liters a day.

I drink virtually no coffee now.

Very occasionally, if someone offers me one, I will drink a coffee. Almost every time it will lead to a panic attack. Not a bad panic attack, but its still unpleasant.

So for me now, coffee and anxiety are related.

But I am fairly sure, if I didn't have a problem with alcohol in the past, then coffee would be fine for me now.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i drink tea till it comes out of my ears
the way i look at it is this
i am not going to wake up tomorrow with a hang over full of guilt shame and remorse after tea drinking

if i could drink booze like i can tea then i wouldnt have a drink problem
if i have a tea problem well its not hurting anyone else i dont think if i was married or had a partner that they would want to divorce me over my tea drinking habbits ? although you never know in this world today : )