Notices

Drinking a lot of coffee

Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drink coffee all day every day but I drink decaf. Regular coffee sends my anxiety levels up and gives me the feeling I used to have when I badly wanted a drink. Should drink more water. Some of it is psychological. I feel naked if I'm not holding something in my hand. Always have done, even before my drinking career.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Unless caffeine affects someone negatively, I see no
problem drinking more coffee than just the morning cup(s).
Sometimes, at work, I'll have 1-3 cups in the afternoon.
It sure beats swigging vodka from the half pint I'd carry
around in my pocket. Ahem, make that a full pint when wearing
a jacket with bigger pockets. I'll take the coffee, thank you.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My coffee intake has gone up....again I don't see this as a problem. ...hubby moans about it tho.... though je moans about a lot of things. .... o drink decaff in work as someone I work with has problems with caffeine.
Again....like rubbish food consumption I will deal with it when I'm good and ready xxx
.... one thing at a time. ...
Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love coffee and always have. I didn't drink so much when my alcohol intake was out of control these recent years but since quitting I have drank a lot more. It has never interfered with my sleeping and also it has never given me anxiety in the past.
In Starbucks terms (since we all know those measures) I would be on a Venti Americano in the morning, a grande in the afternoon and probably a double espresso after dinner.

The way I look at it I just really enjoy it and no way I am cutting it out. If I started shaking through too much caffeine then definitely I would cut down. But life is life and you need to have some fun.....
Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I love coffee. I have an espresso machine and I love the ritual grinding the beans and frothing the milk. I drink 2 - 4 cups a day. Beats the hell out of two bottles of wine.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My wife bought me a Keurig in honor of me quitting drinking and I seriously look forward to my 3 cups a day. It is a huge treat for me and almost every cup I think about the significance.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I started drinking alot of coffee after getting sober. Too much I think. I'm at 14 months and want to start cutting back. I've been trying to cut out the afternoon/evening cups. I do love my coffee!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When I quit nicotine almost 6 years ago, I realized my addiction was largely a psychological one. I loved the act of smoking: lighting the cigarette, holding it, puffing it, taking 'breaks.' I had to get over that eventually.

Same thing. I think a huge part of alcoholism is just the act of drinking: holding and sipping/guzzling a comforting beverage. This is something I will have to deal with eventually. MAYBE.

Coffee is a comforting beverage, too! I can drink a whole french press to my head no problem. And I've recently started drinking it in the evenings too. It doesn't really mess with my sleep--at least, not even close to how booze did.

I don't even mind if I'm substituting addictions for now. If I'm drinking coffee in the evening instead of booze, at least I'll be sober. At least I'll be conscious, and productive, and remember things. That's what matters most.

So like you Steffie, in honor of my own quitting drinking, I bought my partner and I a huge french press (like, family of 8 size, so the two of us can share, or so I can just drink it all!) I also made a little card stating the significance of this gift, that it signified my lifelong commitment to my sobriety. It's a gift to myself mainly, but also to both of us. I too feel the significance when I drink it. I feel the significance of the commitment I made, not just to myself, but to the person I love and want to be with for life. And that's a HUGE double-commitment for me, as an alcoholic former commitment-phobe.

(Wow, who knew coffee could be so serious?! LOL.)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Funny story about my coffee intake...after getting sober and starting to drink tons of coffee, my husband said "You are drinking too much coffee, seriously, that's not good for you". I had to laugh as he rarely would comment on the two bottles of wine I would drink, but had no problem commenting on the coffee!

I do need to cut back, but like Pipping said I figure it's better than wine.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

17 months that is a WOOT WOOT WOOT... congrats... coffee kiddo our Grandmothers did that to us. hahahaha.. the Zombie in me goes Coffee Coffee at 4:30am to 5:30 do about 3 cups and that is it.. unless out somewhere and there is the Holiday coffee find I do Tea in the afternoonn my lavendar teas with fruit or spice flavors.. its good for the system helps wash out junk.. ardy

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Is it common to start drinking a lot of coffee?
I'm talking both hot(in the morning) and ice coffee in the afternoon and early night. Probably drinking about double what I used to drink on a daily basis.
I'm coming up on 17 months sober in a few weeks.