Notices

A plan?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A plan?

I am 12 days clean from opiates today! I think this is the longest I've been clean in... I don't know forever?!

I keep seeing everyone talking about a plan... Uh what? I have no plan and no idea how to even begin coming up with one? I think it's mostly circumstantial I've had nothing this long.. And I'm sure it will come up where I'm offered something idk if I have it in me to say no? I've stopped talking to some people and told people I've been clean but I don't have a plan to stay this way? Maybe that's where the higher power comes in? But I'm not sure how to begin finding that either... So lost

Not sure what I'm looking for, just rambling I guess. Thanks for listening!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 12 days! A plan is simply that - your plan to stay and live sober.

For some people, it's a very regimented plan- AA/NA or another meeting based program where there are daily meetings to attend and clearly defined steps/goals. With AA/NA there is also a sponsor

Some people need Detox to initially get sober, and some follow up with inpatient or outpatient Rehab.

Some use counseling - either regular psychiatric or drug/alcohol specific.

There is also a wide array of self-paced help - Programs like AVRT, self help books, Online sobriety groups like SR, and the list goes on and on.

The common factor though, no matter which you choose, is that you follow your plan on a daily basis, and change it if you feel it's not giving you enough support.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 12 days clean. Telling people that you are clean and not talking to certain people in your life is the beginning of a good plan. You're right that you need a plan, a framework to be able to recover. I think if you take a look around here you will find lots of good ideas. One thing that's part of my plan is walking. It helps on so many levels.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, ally. First of all, congratulations on 12 days. You call it circumstantial, but there is no question that there is work that you have to put in to stay clean for that period of time. Nice work.

Regarding a plan, I am still quite new to sobriety as well. All I can tell you is what has worked for me, and to definitely stay open to the ideas from the bevy of experienced people who are on this site.

For me, I began by establishing why I wanted to be sober. I took stock of the positives and negatives of my addiction. A big part of my reason to stop my particular addictive behavior was that I did not want to be "weak" (in my opinion) and someone who, if asked, "Remember Steve, what's he up to?", a truthful response is, "Oh, he's an addict."

Once I recognized the rationality of my decision I just focused on short intervals, meaning like minutes. I didn't and don't bother looking too far forward (especially in the first few days). I didn't want to overwhelm myself.

Anyways, my friend, I sincerely wish you the best as you continue to learn from others and reflect upon your life and future decisions. Take care!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Allyx, I don't personally have experience with opiate addiction, but I have read posts from several addicts here at SoberRecovery. Relapse after a couple weeks seems common among those who feel confident of their recovery but do not have a "plan."

A "plan" means being proactive with your recovery and preparing for cravings before they occur. It means reinforcing the principles of recovery constantly--things like going to NA meetings, posting here at SoberRecovery, and taking care of yourself.

Do you have any chronic medical or emotional issues which may make you want to use? Being proactive means seeing a doctor or therapist.

Just the fact that you are seeking answers bodes well for your continued sobriety. Be well!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 12 clean i agree with the above
Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I been at this recovery thing awhile..and I've had some stumbles...er um..learning experiences BUT one thing I did know ...when I decided to quit was that cravings WERE going to happen sooner or later..

What could I possibly do instead? I sat down and made a list. On that things were call a friend, go for a drive, go for a walk or run, post on SR, belly breathing, go to a recovery meeting..etc etc.

I also vowed to always have me keys with me...always have an exit plan instead I had to leave a situation that was too hard for me to handle.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ooop double post.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Many congratualtions on 12 days

All the above advice is really good.

I'm pretty new to all this myself but I do know that if I don't keep in mind why I want to stay sober, it's much harder to keep on track.

It takes some mental discipline to do that.

I'm finding meditation very helpful at the moment, and I'm just investigating seeing a counsellor for my depression.

Begin proactive, as many have said, is the key.

And being kind to myself is an important one, not rushing things. Easy does it.

Mainly I've followed the advice of "old timers" here on SR and at AA.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agreed. My plan is I don't drink. No matter what. From that base so to speak I can pick up on thoughts, feelings that either doubt this very final decision or glorify using. Both are residual survival tools for the Addiction itself and both are irrational (lies). To act on irrational thoughts is insane. Being aware at the thought level is where it can be stared down and beat. That's why it's called the Big Plan--Drinking is not an option period. It's worded much better in the RR Crash Course. Check it out in the Secular Forums if you haven't already. Best Wishes.