Notices

Handling Christmas and Drinking

Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Handling Christmas and Drinking

Well my dear friends,

That time of year is almost upon us. Society (at least in the UK), tells us it Christmas. At this time of year we eat foods we don't eat at most other times of the year such as Turkey, Sprouts and the atonable Christmas Dinner. and get drunk.

I am now 39 years old and I have never had a Sober Christmas since I was 16 years old, when my Dad was pouring me glass after glass of red wine, saying "Drink like a man, Son. Its Christmas. Men should drink and be merry at Christmas". So I did and have done every Christmas between that year and last year.

It is socially acceptable, expected even to be drunk at Christmas, all the TV adverts with their campaigns showing what a normal family is like, all gathered around drinking and eating.

But Stop !!! I am an Alcoholic. I can never and will never drink again.

So there are few things I need to do different this year and this is Autans big plan.

Christmas dinner will be a closed shop in that just myself, My Wife and My Son, have booked to eat in very nice hotel in Preston for Christmas Dinner. Yes wine is served on tap, but I am using the excuse that prefer, in that : I'm driving - no thanks.

Christmas evening, will be a low key affair centred around my Son and playing toys with him, having family time.

Boxing Day, were heading to London to a nice hotel and going to go Christmas Shopping, this would normally drive a man to drink, but I would rather be shopping than drinking.

News Years Eve, were flying to Paris to see in the New Year and see my Brother and his Muslim Wife, so no drinking there either and then on the 2nd of Jan its back to work and normality.

What are you plans for handling Christmas, do you even have one yet ?

Whatever your plan is to stay sober, I wish you well. Please share.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love your plan! Similar here except Paris. He he!

Quality time with my little one
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love your plan too. (And jealous--Paris!).

I'm still working on my plan, but part of it so far is that I've told my family I'm not drinking over the holidays. They know that I had a very stressful patch at work this fall, and I confessed to my dad that I was leaning too heavily on the booze during it. For the others, I'm not necessarily telling them why, but I have lost 30 pounds this year, so I can say I want to maintain my girlish figure

For me, announcing this ahead of time is going to be very helpful and serve as an added reinforcement. Other plans: I'm taking a day off to enjoy my holiday shopping (love to do it, but not when it is rushed); making some of my (and my partner's) favorite treats to enjoy; festooning the house to the nines (I love all that holiday schlock); and bringing my running shoes with me so that I can pop out of my parents; house if things get really hairy. My partner and I have already talked, too, about a signal if I feel like I need to leave (my mom in particular can really stress me out). Fortunately, we're both avid birdwatchers, so if we announce we're heading out for a hike, no one will blink an eye.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi Autan? Great question! The triple "threat" here in U.S is Thanksgiving, Christmas & New yrs for alkis hence there are alcathons all day on those days to help newbies esp. If u have them, try to go to 1 as early on that day to prepare you before family & friends come over or before going to their houses. Pray that God will give you the strength to stay sober that day also & treat it just as any other day. Have a list of phone numbers handy to call either your sponsor or anyone in your network when the temptation gets too strong! Most importantly, do not care what family/friends think when you politely decline drinks. Simply say "no thx, not today" then ask a question to quickly change the topic eg Hey btw, how's uncle Ted or aunt Sarah? It's your sobriety so guard it no matter what.
Best wishes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a lovely time you have planned!

The drinking culture in Scotland is frightening! Especially at this time of year. Usually I'd be drunk for 2 o'clock, making an ars* of myself and making everyone feel uncomfortable.

This year will all be at my mums with all my family, playing games with my nieces and nephews and eating lovely food. New Year me and my boyfriend are off to Amsterdam! 3 days in a gorgeous hotel eating and seeing the sights. I'm sooooo excited about Christmas for the first time in years. Spending it with everyone I love sober and pregnant (dodgy Christmas jumper at the ready!!)

Ho Ho Ho!!

L x
Old 12-09-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my plan is to go to my sons grave and xmas day and put a present on his grave
my other kids will come with me so i guess i will have to be trying to nurse them through another xmas without there brother

i dont know where you get the idea people in the uk are celebrating xmas with lots to eat and drink and having a great time all over the place ?

there will be lots of people who can not wait for xmas to be over, there will be lots of people who will wake up xmas day with nothing and no one

i will no doubt pop over to the local aa meeting we hold open every xmas to help feed down and outs etc

it will keep me sober and sure remind me why i dont want to drink but not just at xmas time

the danger comes when xmas is over and people give themselves a pat on the back for getting over it all
they go and pick up a drink to celebrate they got through xmas and the new year

but try and smash that picture that everyone is out there having a good time and there all drinking as its just not true there might be thousands of people who go to london and jump in the fountain at new year but there will be millions of people just sitting watching it on tv without so much as a drink or a party as it not that important to them

sorry to be a party pooper but i have to change how i look at things and get real etc
good luck to you and sounds like you have a lot of things to do over xmas so enjoy them sober as i am sure a lot of people would bite your hand off to have it
Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good plan I got sober 3 weeks before Christmas and am still surprised i did it. Staying sober at Christmas is very much possible with good planning and supportive resources.

p.s Whilst I live in Scotland now I'm originally from Lancs too
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. I hope you enjoy the holidays.

This year, my whole family will be together here - son & daughter, spouses and 4 grandchildren (all under 5 years old). Christmas is going to be absolutely awesome and all about the kids.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Good plan I got sober 3 weeks before Christmas and am still surprised i did it. Staying sober at Christmas is very much possible with good planning and supportive resources.

p.s Whilst I live in Scotland now I'm originally from Lancs too
Come back to Lancs, it as cold as Scotland and we have the Trafford Centre too. HeHe
Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. I hope you enjoy the holidays.

This year, my whole family will be together here - son & daughter, spouses and 4 grandchildren (all under 5 years old). Christmas is going to be absolutely awesome and all about the kids.
I am so warmed, when I hear that so many of us are arranging Christmas back around our Children and GrandChildren.

Its really is, what it is all about and I think Christmas has gone all to commercial that it has lost the innocence of youth and the true meaning, which is based around the birth of a very special child.

Some very great plans, being thought out. They all sound fantastic.