Notices

Again with the cookies....

Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Which was your favorite cookie of the bunch, Nuu?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bimini... if you get a pup, get one of those little poop bag holders and attach it to the leash. So convenient.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
Its pretty easy to make:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Take thick cut bacon and cover in brown sugar. I like to use a pie dish or a rectangular baking dish and fill with brown sugar. Than I press the thick cut bacon into the brown sugar making sure that there is a good coating on each side of each slice.

Then foil a cookie sheet. Place a metal oven rack or grill over the cookie sheet. Then place bacon slices evenly across the grill making sure edges do not touch. Bake for about 20-30 mins at 400 degrees rotating the pan every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
---

I make this every year for Christmas breakfast and it gets eaten before I can put it on a plate for the table.
scribble
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Jennie, not convincing.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Better than alcohol, but I don't want to be a frumpy sober lady - I want to be all outdoors adventurer, kayak-girl, hiker - standing on the mountain-side with my dog beside me looking out over the wilderness. I need to keep my intentions in front of me, as guiding star...
But Heartcore! Cookies are pretty much the ULTIMATE outdoor adventure food! Power packed with calories, sugar, fats, maybe even a little protein in the form of peanut butter or almonds! Unlike candy they fill you up! Unlike energy bars they instantly get you going! How are you supposed to climb that mountain or paddle that river without a couple of cookies to help you along?! (Or is that my own cookie AV? Lol )

Well lately I've been frequenting my local bakeries and grocery/convenience stores on a daily basis in an apparent quest to deplete my insulin reserves permanently. But Nuudawn, you've just given me fresh inspiration! There are probably sweet little old ladies in my area baking pies and cookies right now!!!! Thank you so much for this amazing idea!!!!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hello Nuudawn.

Well, I think you're more upset about the cookie binge if that's what it is, than the responses so far might suggest.
I completely understand. It's horrible, I'm dealing with it too.
I took the post at face value
I certainly wasn't making fun of eating disorders, or binging.

D
Old 12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Aren't cookies their own section in the food pyramid, right next to chocolate?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

A Texas favorite... Blue Bell's Christmas Cookie Icecream!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I suggest sticky buns. But don't order them from Colorado.

W.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Clem,

Yeah, I've used the "healthy cookie" as outdoor food plan for many an outdoor adventure. I think it is in the same practical camper category as my insistence on taking a box o' wine on every outdoor adventure, because you just burn the box, see, and the wine is in a plastic bladder that is, well, just like really fancy gear... and when you're done, you just pack it out, and it is so environmentally conscious...

But, I'm right with you, cookies are good energy food. I just have to actually use all that energy up. I've somehow managed to stay at EXACTLY (and I mean to the ounce) the same weight through these four months of sobriety and quitting smoking (I think they cancelled each other out, caloric intake wise).

I haven't given up the cookies (or the pie), but I'm hyper aware of my consumption. See, the fantasy of the outdoor girl has her kind of tall and lithe. Thinking about it, um, doesn't matter how much I hike, I don't think I'm going to get taller. Maybe I'll just remain my sturdy little self, trudging up the mountainside with my thick, strong legs, packing in my backpack of yummy, energy-full cookies.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
But Heartcore! Cookies are pretty much the ULTIMATE outdoor adventure food! Power packed with calories, sugar, fats, maybe even a little protein in the form of peanut butter or almonds! Unlike candy they fill you up! Unlike energy bars they instantly get you going! How are you supposed to climb that mountain or paddle that river without a couple of cookies to help you along?! (Or is that my own cookie AV? Lol )

Well lately I've been frequenting my local bakeries and grocery/convenience stores on a daily basis in an apparent quest to deplete my insulin reserves permanently. But Nuudawn, you've just given me fresh inspiration! There are probably sweet little old ladies in my area baking pies and cookies right now!!!! Thank you so much for this amazing idea!!!!

Amen to the ultimate outdoor adventure food meme. My favorite, that I make big so each one has about 100 calories. Yes one medium cookie=100 calories.

Joe's Ultralight Backpacking / Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo
Old 12-09-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I think I just found something spectacular: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip-Bacon Cookies Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Like you Heartcore..despite 6 months of sobriety (less one day) and quitting nicotine, my weight is pretty much the same although this past couple weeks are concerning me. I am definitely...binge eating at this time. I did again tonight...but I know I am extremely overtired. I've been running on fumes working extra hours due to Christmas parties. I'm still adjusting to many things....
But it's time to reign it all in. My weight was actually down but I know I've gone up a few pounds in last couple weeks.
So ya..that has to end. I need to look after myself better. I think I truly need to give myself A LOT more special care and attention...and figure out what it is I really DO need...

Someone (Trach maybe) had posted a link in Flybuy's bumped thread regarding "to Thine Own Self True"; the linked article gave me much food for thought as it talked about the gut being our second brain. I have heard this notion before...and have read quite a bit about how it truly "houses" our emotional/feeling realm in many ways. I have read quite a bit of information on how digestive issues are linked to emotional repression issues...

Anyhow..this cookie/food binge thing has to end...today.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Someone (Trach maybe) had posted a link in Flybuy's bumped thread regarding "to Thine Own Self True"; the linked article gave me much food for thought as it talked about the gut being our second brain. I have heard this notion before...and have read quite a bit about how it truly "houses" our emotional/feeling realm in many ways. I have read quite a bit of information on how digestive issues are linked to emotional repression issues...
NuuDawn I am so fascinated by these concepts too. I don't have the link but I did a lot of reading on the same thing, the Enteric Nervous System. A lot of our serotonin and some of our other neurotransmitters are located there.... I also remember reading somewhere about how binge eating sugar is sometimes linked to lower levels of serotonin and the brain/body's attempt to create more of it. If alcohol contains as much sugar as they say it does, this helps explain why people so heavily self-medicate with booze and sugar.

For whatever it's worth, whenever I find myself completely outta control with the sweets, I ask myself whether I'm protein deficient. I usually am. A high-protein healthy meal usually stops the binge cycle. Or at the very least, treating myself like a child, and forcing myself to eat all my peas before dessert. LOL.