Notices

Fea

Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ljb

Fea

As I enter day three of sobriety, I find myself with anxiety and fear as the chief emotions I am experiencing.

What if my husband, sister, boss and friends weren't this supportive?

What if I actually managed to commit suicide rather than entering rehab?

What if is hurt someone when I was drunk?

What if I am not strong enough to beat this?

The answer seems to come from those around me. The people who do small, kind things for me throughout my day. A stranger opening a door or taking my grocery cart back for me. My daughter telling me she loves me. My husband loving me despite our recent months together. My coworkers expressing appreciation for my help and helping me in return.

This is not a horrible, negative world like my depressive mind wants me to believe. This is a wonderful place where most of us are doing everything we can to help it be a good place to live.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ljb, anxiety and fear are certainly present in the beginning, but they completely disappear as you get stronger with each sober day. Focus on the positive that is happening rather than what ifs- what ifs never happened and have no power over you whatsoever.

You are strong enough. There are enough of us here to prove that is true.

It's a great world- if we are able to see it- sounds like you are.

You can do this- lean on this place- there is more strength here than you can imagine.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ljb View Post
This is not a horrible, negative world like my depressive mind wants me to believe. This is a wonderful place where most of us are doing everything we can to help it be a good place to live.
It's important to remember this. I was consumed by depression for decades before finally getting it treated. When I look back, with perspective, I realize how messed up my beliefs were.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Ljb and well done on day 3
Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ljb congratulations on your three days. You're off to a wonderful start - and you are going to do this.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is little more one can do than to see the small, kind things that others do for us and to be grateful for them. Few of us see those things for what they are. Many take them for granted.

Your comments touched my heart in a way that few others do. You're right in saying that this is not a horrible world. It's not. It's what we make it out to be. You are experiencing good stuff, Ljb. Awesome!

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Ljb, you're off to a good start, it is a wonderful world.

You ARE strong enough, there are thousands of us here that didn't think we were.

Welcome to the family

And many congrats on day 3.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Most of us experience anxiety and fear when we first quit drinking. It is an expected side effect of persistent alcohol use. If it doesn't subside in a few months you may have underlying issues and you might want to seek additional treatment.

Congrats on 3 days and on being able to use your rational mind to see through the emotional trap alcohol dependence sets in our recovery path. That tends to be a difficult skill to master, but necessary in order to get to the other side.