Notices

Binge drinking?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking?

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum. I have never been the person to drink daily, I can go weeks without a drink. The problem that I have is when I do drink- I cannot seem to only have a "couple" or a "few". I drink until I blackout. I have read that binge drinking IS alcoholism, and I have stopped drinking before for 9 months just because of binge drinking.

When I quit before I felt good, but always knew that I would eventually drink again because I don't need a drink daily. I am at a point where I don't really know what to do. I am hoping that someone has had a similar past and can help me out.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, I had a similar drinking style. I consider myself a classic binge drinker (whatever that is, I guess I just made that up).

I would often go days and weeks without, but as soon as I started I'd drink to blackout nearly every time.

I had to quit drinking, period. I can not drink. It just won't ever be ok, under any circumstance, for me to pick up another drink.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey matt21 _Welcome!

I was also a 'binge drinker' for many years when I first began, and usually kept it to my nights out. However, because alcohol problems are progressive, I later began drinking everyday. That too progressed to the point that I was drinking even in the mornings, to help with the shakes.

I guess the point is that just because you don't have the need to drink daily, that does not necessarily mean there's not a problem, so good for you for taking note and doing something about it. It's better to get ahead of the game early on.

This site is a great place for support and I look forward to seeing you around in here.

Lusher
Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was also a binge drinker. At least so far I was just a binge drinker. It would have progressed if I had let it.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EJP

This is one of the reasons I dont like the alcoholism label at all. Its clear your abusing alcohol. Its clear that your smart enough to see it and wonder if its a problem. It is.

Maybe its a problem you can mitigate for 5, 10, 20 years. Or maybe it will kill you the next time you blackout.

Im glad your here looking for information. Keep reading for a while and find the support you need to make the right decision.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Matt welcome to SR and to the forum nice to meet you
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You might want to look up the phenomenon of kindling. Repeatedly going hard at the bottle and sobering up/detoxing can actually catch up with you faster than decades of drinking daily from a danger standpoint because of the repeated upregulation/downregulation of GABA receptors in the brain.

Agreed with above posters - seek out support whenever and however you can, do your research and above all be honest with yourself about it!

[EDIT: Binging was how I got started initially, also!]
Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mlp

Hi Matt,
I was a binge drinker. I was able to just drink one or two days a week, but I never could drink enough on those occasions to keep me satisfied. So, i did some research and realized that this was alcoholism and it is a progressive disease that will only get worse if I continued. So, I joined AA 3 weeks ago and this Forum yesterday because I know this will only progress. I feel fortunate to be ahead of the bigger problems that would've eventually came. I think you are somewhat ahead of it too. So, climb aboard the sober lifestyle. We can do this!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

The progressive nature of the beast bears repeating. Only in the past few years did I progress to the point of almost daily drinking. Now with some sober time under my belt it is clear when looking back how I progressed step by step from where you are to where I ended up. I'm not one to give much thought to the label of alcoholic. I am one by my own understanding, but when that line was crossed is hard to say. You are doing yourself a great favor by being very aware of your relationship with alcohol. Take care of yourself Matt.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingecho View Post
You might want to look up the phenomenon of kindling. Repeatedly going hard at the bottle and sobering up/detoxing can actually catch up with you faster than decades of drinking daily from a danger standpoint because of the repeated upregulation/downregulation of GABA receptors in the brain.
I took GABA early on (and still take it) along with B vitamins and some other supplements in an effort to counteract and repair damage done by my binge drinking. Not sure how much I've repaired but I figured I'd try anyway. I can tell a noticeable difference when I take the GABA. It has a nice calming effect.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a terrible binge-drinker. The kind to fight his friends, strangers and even family. I black-out and lose control of what I do and say. Eventually, I was binge-drinking every night and became physically addicted to alcohol. Binging on booze with no way to stop is a warning sign of a problem that can easily progress to full blown alcoholism.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I'm sure you will have plenty of similar stories, no need to add mine.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Matt

There are many binge drinkers here, or former binge drinkers who graduated to every day drinking like me.

I think binge drinking can sometimes be even more dangerous than daily drinking because we really concentrate the amount we drink into such a small amount of time.

It's incredibly self destructive and it stands to reason you want to quit.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-08-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

Binge drinker here as well - I can tell you that my experience has been that the binges progressively became heavier, more closely spaced apart, and more dangerous over time. I never reached the drinking heavily every day "phase" but I was well on my way there. Best to "nip it in the bud" early before it causes you even more problems. BTW, I am on Day 15 as well - we got this.

SD
Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt, if alcohol is causing problems in your life, I hope you decide to stop drinking.

We're here for you.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt, if alcohol is causing problems in your life, I hope you decide to stop drinking.

We're here for you.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering binge drinker myself. It is absolutely alcoholism. I could go through the work week without drinking, but once the weekend came I lost control.

You think you are in control, but all you are really doing is being a functional alcoholic. Control is just an illusion. Like SoberD says, it is a downhill ride. It will likely get worse and worse. It did for me.

All my relapses have been when I thought "I have this beat!" "I can handle it" "I won't go back to the way things were...". All lies I told myself.

Eventually for me it got to the point where I had to stop. Really stop for good.

Good luck.