SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   2 Weeks Down (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/352926-2-weeks-down.html)

SoberD 12-07-2014 04:47 PM

2 Weeks Down

Well, as the title suggests, I have now with 2 weeks sober and it feels great. I had some social event over the weekend, both of which there was alcohol present and I did not partake. In fact, Saturday night I ended up at a bar and rather than craving the drink, I just felt a strong sense of alienation so I left shortly after arrival - going forward, unless there is some compelling reason to be at a bar, I will simply decline.

One more thing: the woman I have been seeing (for a short period of time) told me tonight that the reason she has become distant is that she "thinks I drink too much" and that she "doesn't want to drink every time we are together" - obviously, not the first time I have heard this. Hopefully, I can salvage it but if not, I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities where alcoholism does not create obstacles for me.

Here's to another day of recovery! Thanks SR.

Dee74 12-07-2014 04:49 PM

Way to go on 2 weeks SoberD :)

D

blueyes618 12-07-2014 04:58 PM

Awesome job on 2 weeks! It seems like you have pretty good control over your impulses... walking out of a bar without consuming is a big deal :) I know I couldn't do that. You're on the right track for sure... hopefully this will continue and the woman you're seeing can spend some quality sober time with you :)

Lusher 12-07-2014 05:17 PM

Hey SoberD, Nice job on the two weeks!

I just felt a strong sense of alienation so I left shortly after arrival - going forward, unless there is some compelling reason to be at a bar, I will simply decline.
I know this feeling well, and I too have opted to stay away from bars. Not really so much because I'm afraid that I'll drink, but I just don't feel like I belong any longer- which I guess I don't.

Stay strong!

Lusher

brynn 12-07-2014 05:42 PM

Well done! That's so encouraging for newbies like me to hear! Gives me tons of hope...thanks for sharing.

advbike 12-07-2014 05:48 PM

Way to go SoberD! I found it easier to avoid bars, sports venues, and certain restaurants in early sobriety, as the temptation to have "just one" was too strong. It doesn't take long to get past that early phase.. maybe a couple of months. Good job on two weeks.. my advice is to focus on yourself and your sobriety right now, and give the relationship some time.. they can be big triggers.

matilda123 12-07-2014 06:07 PM

Wonderful! Congratulations!!

SoberJohn 12-07-2014 07:10 PM

Congrats on 2 weeks SoberD! Awesome work!

SoberD 12-07-2014 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone - love that avatar too SoberJohn. Things are getting easier with each passing day but I am very aware of my past failures when I reach this point. Nevertheless, I am learning new tools for sobriety every day (along with new things about myself). This time around, I think I got this!

PurpleKnight 12-08-2014 11:02 AM

Fantastic!! Keep pushing through!! :scoregood

JanieJ 12-08-2014 03:40 PM

Well done Sober D. Be proud :grouphug:

Hevyn 12-08-2014 03:45 PM

Wonderful news SoberD. :)

SoberD 12-08-2014 04:04 PM

Hating Alcohol

New thread