Notices

How to stay sober

Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
(1) Recognize being alcohol free is a choice, not a punishment. Avoid framing the decision negatively ("I can't!").
YES

This has been the single most crucial shift for me in sobriety this time around and the one I believe will be most important in my life of sobriety. Embracing this choice as a blessing and embracing all the positive, all the joy, all the goodness, all the freedom and all the strength that comes with it is so empowering and so much more uplifting.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Recognize being alcohol free is a choice, not a punishment. Avoid framing the decision negatively ("I can't!").
Thanks for posting this. Right now, right this second I really needed to remember that this is not a punishment. It's my choice and I choose to live sober & happy.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
YES This has been the single most crucial shift for me in sobriety this time around and the one I believe will be most important in my life of sobriety. Embracing this choice as a blessing and embracing all the positive, all the joy, all the goodness, all the freedom and all the strength that comes with it is so empowering and so much more uplifting.
Agreed. I keep thinking positively. That this alcoholism is a blessing in disguise. A big chance to live the quality of life one could only dream of.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Grasping onto my newfound ambition for life.
Being proactive and seeking out opportunities that give my life value.
Trying new things and exploring my interests.
Sober Recovery daily
Reading
Music/live music
Hanging with great friends
Hobbies
Ice Cream
Being grateful for where I am even if it might suck sometimes.
Keeping steady communication with family
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Day 9 for me... I made a lot of lifestyle changes along with my sobriety, like giving up meat and living just an overall healthier lifestyle. Focusing on my new choices helps a lot with my sobriety. I also joined AA, started seeing an addictions counselor, bought a journal to write in, and started reading 'Spirit Junkie' by Gabrielle Bernstein. As long as I'm not bored or overwhelmed I seem to be in good shape. Wishing everyone success😄
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Keeping a sense of humor, knowing that life isn't always perfect and things won't always go my way but I can laugh at it instead of drinking.

Making connections as soon as possible with other people in recovery, either here on SR or in real life for both support and accountability. And keeping in contact with them.

Reach out if you are struggling before you drink.

Remembering H.A.L.T. -hungry, angry, lonely, tired. All triggers and if I have urges one of those is usually the culprit, so paying attention to your body's needs.

And ice cream. Honestly the single most important thing in getting me through urges. I was never a big sweets eater but I am now and I'm far less embarrassed by the number of empty ice cream containers than the empty bottles of alcohol.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great thread. thank you. What is working for me is to accept, no EMBRACE, the truth that I cannot drink alcohol and be the person that I want to be. I need to remind myself of this --sometimes on an hourly basis. I've got almost 4 months of sobriety -- I know that is so little time. But if you are like me---that's also simply amazing---because I couldn't get sober before. So this time-- I immediately changed my routine and went to an AA meeting. I then found the meetings that were right after work, began going to them, so that I would break my routine of stopping at a liquor store on the way home from work. I also found meetings on the weekend that would break my routine of starting the day with wine.

I did not necessarily believe in AA right away--BUT the reality is --ITS working for me. AND so is coming back here. When I tried to stop on my own before--because I'm intelligent and determined, right? Well--my own self-will, and smarts wasn't enough. Be kind to yourself -- and ruthless against alcohol.