Notices

Relapsed... :(

Old 12-06-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The internet, or I should say certain ways of using the internet, was also a big trigger for me and I was really afraid how I could ever get sober with this... It was because most of the time when I was drinking, I would be on the computer so there was a strong association in my mind. Amazingly, it ended up being the internet that saved my life and helped me get sober - this forum I learned that I had to stop using the web in certain ways (that were destructive and associated with my drinking in the past) but new habits involving it did not hurt me at all.

I think I understand your idea about the hotel and cutting yourself off from the environment and activities that trigger you and I hope the plan will work out and it won't be just an escape. All the best.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
The internet, or I should say certain ways of using the internet, was also a big trigger for me and I was really afraid how I could ever get sober with this... It was because most of the time when I was drinking, I would be on the computer so there was a strong association in my mind. Amazingly, it ended up being the internet that saved my life and helped me get sober - this forum I learned that I had to stop using the web in certain ways (that were destructive and associated with my drinking in the past) but new habits involving it did not hurt me at all.

I think I understand your idea about the hotel and cutting yourself off from the environment and activities that trigger you and I hope the plan will work out and it won't be just an escape. All the best.
the problem i have to watch out for is i can get addicted to a computer believe it or not

i remember when i first got online with a computer and how much i would put things off to stay online longer it started slowly
in the end i was getting to the point were i would stop going out and stay online
so i have to watch myself even today as i have found i can get addicted to all sorts of things not just the drink
Old 12-07-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can understand you needing a break from 'triggers' - but the Internet isn't going away. Technology is only deepening its hold in our lives. Nor will any of the thousands of other triggers.

Sobriety is ultimately about learning to deal with life and live it in a balanced way without seeking to escape it.

I hope today begins your journey to find your answer.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm glad to know you have a place in rehab.
You drank because you have a drinking problem. And whilst drinking, you went into all out I'm gonna figure this ALL OUT this second mode....um..."control issue" much? Ha ha...you know it takes one to know one right?

Well...you did have a brilliant idea in getting yourself into rehab. Soooooo....go to rehab. Get sober...stay sober in the now and figure the rest out as it ....arrives.