Notices

First AA meeting

Old 12-06-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

First AA meeting

I have my first AA meeting this morning. My boyfriend is going with me, but I am still extremely nervous. I feel like I have been doing a good job controlling myself thus far, but I know I need to go. I understand everyone there is fighting the same battle I am. I just don't like feeling judged (even though I know they won't). I don't think I am ready to talk out loud about my problem... maybe it will change when I get there :-/ sorry for the venting, just a bit nervous.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you!
You don't have to say anything.......they won't take roll

Listen for similarities and not differences.

Glad you're here, keep coming back!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent Blueyes youl be pleasently surprised i know i was

AA will really help good for you making this decision

and what a boyfriend tell him from me hes awesome

my gf came with me for support

way to go blueyes
Old 12-06-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was pretty nervous my first meetings also.... you will find that it is a very accepting and welcoming place filled with good energy.

Don't worry, don't judge, don't expect.... check your ego and your concerns about it at the door and just observe what is.

# 5 (permalink)  

i know its so scary for anyone going to aa for the first time, mostly because people build up ideas of what its like,

aa is just made up of men and women who like you will have a problem with booze, they go there to help each other, a bit like this forum on this site does with people just coming here to either help someone or to get help and information etc.

you will hear people share there own experiences that they had with drinking and how they have changed
when there share about there drinking listen hard and see if your like them, they will share about emotions and feelings etc and again you will hear how they have started to change

i know for me aa meetings blow me away with people being honest infront of others thats were i started to learn myself how to get honest about me as i always hid everything away and wouldnt want anyone to know anything about the things i had done or experienced etc

i would recommend aa to anyone who has a problem with the drink if there alcholic or not i think the aa way of life if followed brings about a change in people that is far more deeper than just stopping drinking

but in early days for me i just had to take my body to an aa meeting and my mind followed me, as if i listened to my mind i wouldn't of gone to aa or got out of going

hope it goes well for you and that you can find identification there good luck to you
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
It’s normal to be nervous about the unknown but it will be a experience you’ll remember for a long time. They are people who did a you and they understand. Many say afterwards that as soon as they got in the room they knew they had arrived to a place they searched for.
You don’t have to say a thing, just listen and learn. Try not to compare, just identify. I suggest a bunch of meetings even if you don’t want to go often because that’s the way it works for us.

BE WELL
Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What ioaa said. Exactly. Great job on taking the reins in your life.

Jennifer
Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey there, I've got an article you might want to read before you go: Your First AA Meeting. It's an EXTREMELY informative and helpful explanation of what you might see and hear and experience at your first meeting. I think it will do a lot to make you feel more comfortable about it.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck and congrats on your sobriety this far. AA has kept me sober. I hope that it really helps you too
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most feel a bit uncomfortable when they first start going to meetings. It's perfectly okay to just listen until you feel comfortable. Just keep an open mind!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

So the meeting was really interesting. A bit overwhelming at first, a lot of people came up to me at once asking me questions, but were so kind and supportive. It was an open meeting with a speaker and a discussion afterward. Listening to the speaker was very emotional for me. Her story was heart wrenching and I could identify with her on a few levels. I cried a bit when she cried and I could feel her pain.. it was so raw. Her story brought up a lot of suppressed emotions and I almost broke down a few times. She is 20 years sober today and it was truly inspirational. I got a pamphlet and phone numbers and so much literature to read. I am so glad I went. Thank you all for your support
Old 12-06-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

So so happy for you glad it went well your doing amazing blueyes