Notices

I'd really like to drink

Old 12-05-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'd really like to drink

Constant nonstop 24/7 battle going on in me. Driving by bars, listening to coworkers talk about their drinking and how awesome it is. I want to drink an ice cold beer oh so bad. My adrenaline and endorphins get all fired up just going by places. My brain doesn't want to acknowledge all the negative stuff.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know, its truly a battle, seems never ending to drink or not to drink. Im just trying to hold on to why I can't drink and all the misery that is sure to follow if I do drink. I know the misery is going to be there with drinking. I have proved this to be true for me everytime I picked up a drink thinking it would be different this time.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Soberbrah, the craving will pass. You're romancing the drink, I think. Youd be pouring poison down your throat. read about rational recovery, post and read here.

don't take yourself down the road to hell.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post
Constant nonstop 24/7 battle going on in me. Driving by bars, listening to coworkers talk about their drinking and how awesome it is. I want to drink an ice cold beer oh so bad. My adrenaline and endorphins get all fired up just going by places. My brain doesn't want to acknowledge all the negative stuff.
I know exactly what you mean, just don't give in! I was going to get just a shot tonight but I managed to say no! I was telling myself it was just a shot it wont be bad right?

That's how you justify it!

If I would have drank tonight I would have woken up hungover and missed half my day tomorrow. It never ends with just one drink.

It's funny I was going to the liquor store to get a shot. Was smoking a cig on the way and was thinking, okay just a shot, got to the store and was about to get out when I noticed? I was going to get 3 shots now! Out of nowhere I told my self I'm getting 3 now!

Just got back in and left!

I can't do just a drink!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The trouble for us is it's never one beer - I dunno about you but one beer does nothing...I need an enormous amount.

You have no idea where that beer will take me or how much crap I'll end up in.
If you're like me, you'll end up hating and despising yourself tho and wishing you were a better man....and end up in despair.

and then, after all that, maybe tomorrow maybe the next day, maybe next week...the feeling will return...what do you do with it then brah?

we have to break the cycle - or we're doomed to repeat it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post
I am fresh off a "lapse" soberbrah.

Wanna know something? It's a giant con...an illusion. It doesn't bloody work anyway. We ain't the sort to enjoy one or two and find a lovely groove...

No..we keep drinking in a desperate quest to land in some sort of emotional eden. We can't get them down our gullets fast enough...where, where, where..when, when, when ..will it hit...the "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

It doesn't come Soberbrah.

It just makes a giant arse of ya...and cackles while you whine and whimper...

It's NEVER enough. You never get there...
It's ruse...an illusion...a con.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Feel for you, Soberbrah.

Sounds to me like you are white knuckling it when you don't need to. I know you don't like AA, have you checked out Lifering ? It's totally different, not as old fashioned, and no god anywhere in sight. They have online meetings too.

I think you could do with some more tools in you box -you don't seem to have any techniques to use for cravings or anything else to occupy you. Feels like you're being tossed about by your AV and can't do anything about it. Lifering and AVRT will give you some good tips, and the craving link Dee gave you is really good as well.

I hope that you find acceptance Brah, it will be much easier for you to concentrate on living sober rather than concentrating on missing the drink so much.

You are doing so well, you have some strength of character there my friend, you really do.

You probably can't see it but you are actually doing an awesome job- you're sober.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's tough at first, but let's keep perspective. It's frequent, but it isn't nonstop 24/7. You're sleeping some and there are some things that can take your mind off of it for a while, even if it's just a few minutes. I'm not trying to minimize the suffering - it's real - but exaggerating it is your addiction manipulating you into believing it's a monster that can't be beaten.

I found mindfulness techniques to be helpful. Instead of losing myself in the feeling of wanting a drink, I contemplated the emotion. Why is it here? what does it want? what can it actually do to me if I don't give in to it? Separate it. Put it in a box. Define it's limits. It is not an enormous, eternal monster.

The only way to get rid of that awful feeling is to starve it. If you give into it you just make it worse.

Welcome to the fight of your life. You can do this.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good advice here Soberbrah
Old 12-06-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.
For some it’s easier than others. For me it was suggested to think of anything else except drinking. It worked when I worked that idea. Often the obsession was relieved within seconds. I also was relieved of much obsessive thoughts by eating sugar sweets which the body was in need of since the loss of sugar supplied by the alcohol.
The majority of my learning about the ism came from the experts with many years in AA.

BE WELL
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Make your last binge the last binge. You can do it if you fully committ to never drinking. If in your mind you are entertaining drinking in order to stop the obsessing over alcohol, the battle will just rage on. You know this. You've been struggling to stay sober since, what? 2011? Long enough, I think.