Notices

Anger--I feel so close to having a drink

Old 12-06-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Anger only lasts about 20 minutes. Just a fun fact. I try to keep my mouth shut and let it pass. 20 minutes later, I'm ready to discuss things like a big girl.

Jennifer
Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Is there some REASON you need to have beer in your refrigerator? Obviously, it's always possible to get in the car and go buy alcohol, but that does require a certain amount of effort to acquire, and time enough that you get a chance to think through whether you really want to do that.

I found it EXTREMELY helpful in early sobriety not to have ANY alcohol in my home. It wouldn't have stopped me if I were really determined to drink, but it prevented the impulsive "I'm pissed off so I'm gonna have a drink" scenario.

Is your husband supportive? Could he agree that for the first few months at least you won't keep it in the house?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good point, Lexie. Probably don't need it there at all. Partner doesn't drink much at all, and it is just there from our last get together. We can certainly pass it on to friends!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Better yet pour it down the drain Matilda and thats its gone

Glad your feeling better and that you reached out
Old 12-06-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

I have a list of valid reasons for Me to drink. It is very short "None, no matter what".
My AV will constantly try and add items, before making the decision to be a nondrinker ,there were admittedly other items on the "list" , but I pared it down to the most reasonable one for Me.
Hopefully you can scratch anger off the AV's list, cause you will probably be angry in the future. And you showed that moronic AV that one can be angry work, andthrough it without the drinking part being an option.
Paring down the list and not allowing any new items to be added works for me. I'm going to be angry in the future, practically guaranteed, but I made a decision to not drink in any future guaranteed. It's a mind game and I plan to win, am winning, AV has no editorial authority
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm with soberwolf. Pour the damn stuff out, or have your husband do it. One thing I've learned--no matter how rare or expensive the booze, a relapse costs a lot more. This isn't a situation where waste is a sin.

Some alcoholics are, eventually, OK with having it in their homes for company. That's an individual decision--even after six years sober, I'm not comfortable with it here. I read a recommendation to use an Everclear soak to clean e-cigarette cartridges. I decided I'd rather throw out the cartridges when they are dirty enough than to buy Everclear and keep it on hand. The idea just gives me the willies.

But in early sobriety, putting as many obstacles as possible between you and an impulsive drink is just plain good sense.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I have a list of valid reasons for Me to drink. It is very short "None, no matter what".
My AV will constantly try and add items, before making the decision to be a nondrinker ,there were admittedly other items on the "list" , but I pared it down to the most reasonable one for Me.
Hopefully you can scratch anger off the AV's list, cause you will probably be angry in the future. And you showed that moronic AV that one can be angry work, andthrough it without the drinking part being an option.
Paring down the list and not allowing any new items to be added works for me. I'm going to be angry in the future, practically guaranteed, but I made a decision to not drink in any future guaranteed. It's a mind game and I plan to win, am winning, AV has no editorial authority
Jeez somebody better have editorial authority, sorry that should have been experience being angry and work through it without having drinking an option on the table.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Anger only lasts about 20 minutes. Just a fun fact. I try to keep my mouth shut and let it pass. 20 minutes later, I'm ready to discuss things like a big girl.

Jennifer
Excellent fun fact.

I really love "fun facts" lately.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am definitely in favor of not keeping alcohol in the house.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The 800 pound gorilla is the beer in the fridge.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You guys are right...partner is pouring it down the drain, although he is taking a bottle of expensive wine over to our next door neighbors. Can say it is a "happy holidays" gift!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

When I get angry for me I try to go for a quick walk. It clears my mind
Old 12-06-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and I apologize for the references to "husband"--you said "partner" in your first post. Usually I try to pay attention to those things, but sometimes when I'm reading a lot of posts I forget what someone's relationship is.

Great move on getting rid of the beer/wine.

And ALSO great that you are listening to suggestions--not that you leave your brains at the door when you get into recovery, or that everyone's suggestions are necessarily good or right for you--because I think willingness to take suggestions of those who have already walked the path is a pretty good predictor of success in this business of getting sober and staying that way.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No worries, Lexie. He is, actually, my husband, but I always refer to folks as partners. Sort of a residual from all those years when many folks in my life couldn't marry their sweethearts.

I'm so appreciative of people's advice. If we all knew how to do this on our own, we wouldn't all be here!!