Notices

Loss of appetite

Old 12-05-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss of appetite

I see a lot of people mentioning that they have a huge increase in their appetite after being sober for a few days. I have seen the total opposite. I have to force myself to eat. It's not that it hurts or anything, I'm just not hungry.

Maybe it is my body's way of detoxing and resetting? I look forward to the day when I crave a big burger or a pizza.

Is this unusual? Did this happen to anyone else and if so, did your appetite return?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am having the same thing with not being hungry. I am eating similarly to what I did before quitting, just less fat.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's normal me if I way over did it and then quit. I normally get my appetite back after three or four days.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ate a lot in the first week and ate a lot of vitamins for a month prior and after quitting. This may be psychological but I ate more when taking vitamins.I ate breakfast every day. Now at 6 months I do neither. Think I'm gonna at least take a multi now. I do believe they helped with my withdrawals. I was drinking a lot and eating little toward the end. Slight malnutrition even from the number alcohol does in the digestive tract is probably an issue for us all but normal eating w/out booze takes care of that. I never went over RDA on any supplement but did go max.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first week I had absolutely no appetite. I think I was too preoccupied with the withdrawal symptoms. I drank a lot of liquids to stay hydrated. The friends I talked to at AA shared the same experience. They also told me that they gained weight the first few months of sobriety. I'm on day 69, and my appetite has been back to "normal".
Old 12-05-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am very careful about eating healthy most of the time which seems so strange to me considering how I have been abusing my body with alcohol. I have to be very careful about gaining weight because it usually triggers severe depression for me. The last time I had a long stretch of sobriety, I managed to lose 25 pounds. Probably partly because I stopped the late night snacking on things I would never eat sober.

I am at exactly 7 days today so hopefully I will be ready for a good sized meal soon!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we're all different and our bodies react differently. Some get hungry, some lose their appetite.

What is important is that you at least gets some nutrition at first. Even a glass of orange juice and something lite in your stomach. Take a multivitamin. Many people over do vitamins and flush most of into the sewage plant
Just do what your body asks of you. Don't force food down if you are not hungry. Eat when you are hungry. In time you should be able to eat normally.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you doing anything else that would suppress your hunger? Are you smoking? Taking any prescribed or recreational drugs?

If you can get completely clean from booze and other substances for a while and your appetite still doesn't come back then you might need some professional advice.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had no appetite in the last weeks/months of my drinking and I lost weight which I didn't need to lose. My appetite returned immediately, thankfully. The thing is, we've had abused our bodies and we have to allow for that. I hope your appetite returns quickly.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do, congrats on 7 days!!

Personally, I think all of our bodies are different, and whatever happens in the first month or two while you heal is fine. As long as you feel ok in general.

When I drank, I ate pretty healthy unless I didn't. if I was drunk and hungry, I ate whatever crap came my way. I didn't have much of an appetite for a week or two. I ate, but it was just because I should- not because I wanted food. Took a while for food to fast right to me, too.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

By the end of 1 week sober i could eat half a tin of heinz chicken soup and be full

my appitite came back gradually over 2-3 weeks
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I would put eating on the back burner until I was absolutely ravenous, then I would eat something. But I would always put off eating because I didn't want it to "bring me down". Years of that behavior has trained me to ignore my hunger so now I have trouble just eating normally throughout the day.

I find that during the day even if I don't think I'm hungry, if I try to eat something my stomach kicks into gear and suddenly I'm going to town on anything I can find to eat in my kitchen.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first week I ate just because I was anxious. But now I am just not hungry all day and have to remind myself to fix dinner.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had no appetite because the ONLY time I ate was when I was intoxicated. I literally ate next to nothing when I was sober all day, waited till I was drunk and then got my2-3000 calories in one sitting..

These past few days I've had nothing to eat but last night my appetite kicked in and I"ve been grubbin all day and night!

Also alcohol supresses the appetite so once you stop drinking those affects still linger for a bit.

I could never eat breaded things so I instead chose to eat lots of fruits and veggies because I could basically swallow it with water to at least get some nutrients in my body..
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had no appetite at all the first two weeks, all I could really manage was peaches for some strange reason. But I'm back to eating all sorts now, but not fatty food or sweets as it makes me feel ill. It gets better
Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I felt pretty ill the first week or so of recovery. I did crave sugar and the cream from ice cream seemed to settle my stomach. But after about a month, I was hungry for everything related to food. Maybe a trip to the doctor's might help, just in case there is an underlining reason. Turned out that I was fine, I went to the doc the day after I decided to quit. Hopefully everything is okay but you just want to make sure.