Notices

Repeat Newcomer

Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Repeat Newcomer

I have a new sobriety date, but I have finally had the courage to admit being an alcoholic. There is a such a stigma around that word that I didn't ever even want to say out loud. One usually imagines a bunch of people standing outside a meeting huffing cigarettes and drinking coffee like there is no tomorrow. : )

Well, I am an alcoholic, this disease is going to kill me if I don't get back in the program and work the steps. I am back, day 2 of sobriety. I made it 344 days before, and was trying to do it on my own under my own control and blew it. I let it slip back into my life, one drink at a time. It wasn't the go out and get blasted slip, it was a slow boil. I thought oh I can control it, how many times haven't we all said that.

So I am working the twelves steps, just starting again and trying to do it right this time, one day at a time, through grace.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 2 HP

Nice to meet you
Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was an Alcoholic when I was active in my addiction.

Now I'm just a non-drinker. Voila, stabbing the stigma.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey HockeyPlayer,

Congrats on getting back into your feet and fighting this everyday battle! If you're not a Boston Bruins fan, then you will succeed this time! Kidding... ok, it was a bad joke, sorry...

Seriously, we all attempted to control the intake so many times and failed miserably... stopping it all together is what we need in order to get back into freedom!

Good luck, use this board to gain strenght and don't listen to hockey on TV to much... these beer commercials surely make you want to have a couple!

Be strong!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know what you mean HP. Going through the same now on day 3 after another relapse (we all think we can control it! this is a great place for support.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back hockey player

D
Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Low

I always view the term/label alcoholic the same way I would view the word diabetic and such. Alcoholics bodies don't process alcohol in the same way that the majority of the population does. It wasn't a choice, my brain and body were born that way. Unfortunately this medical conditions by products are shame, morose, confusion, slow deterioration of positive lifestyle, health, relationships etc. I don't care about the stigma, not my concern...the polar opposite, which is recovery, is such a opportunity for growth, spirituality, lessons, gratefulness that again, the majority of the population does not have the opportunity to experience. There are such incredible journeys in recovery. As long as one chooses sobriety, versus just to stop drinking. The chance to recreate my life, everyday, with grace as you mentioned, is such a gift. Screw stigma. Be special.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back.
The things most people with alcohol problems seem to fight the most is self honesty about their drinking and accepting that they cannot drink in safety.
Denile is not a river in Egypt.
I’ve been around as long as dirt and would guess that 75% who try to get sober would if those two items were ingrained in our memory.
For me and others successful in the program that memory refresh is obtained with attendance at meetings and working on our “triggers and alcoholic thinking and tendencies.”

BE WELL
Old 12-05-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi, Hockeyplayer, good to meet you.

344 days is impressive length of time just using willpower.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by Low View Post
I always view the term/label alcoholic the same way I would view the word diabetic and such. Alcoholics bodies don't process alcohol in the same way that the majority of the population does. It wasn't a choice, my brain and body were born that way. Unfortunately this medical conditions by products are shame, morose, confusion, slow deterioration of positive lifestyle, health, relationships etc. I don't care about the stigma, not my concern...the polar opposite, which is recovery, is such a opportunity for growth, spirituality, lessons, gratefulness that again, the majority of the population does not have the opportunity to experience. There are such incredible journeys in recovery. As long as one chooses sobriety, versus just to stop drinking. The chance to recreate my life, everyday, with grace as you mentioned, is such a gift. Screw stigma. Be special.

Wonderful post, thank you
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey HockeyPlayer,

Congrats on getting back into your feet and fighting this everyday battle! If you're not a Boston Bruins fan, then you will succeed this time! Kidding... ok, it was a bad joke, sorry...

Seriously, we all attempted to control the intake so many times and failed miserably... stopping it all together is what we need in order to get back into freedom!

Good luck, use this board to gain strenght and don't listen to hockey on TV to much... these beer commercials surely make you want to have a couple!

Be strong!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post
Thank you for this... rings a bell here!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, one more day in the books.. and no worries about being a Bruins fan, I am a Blackhawks fan... hehe
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, hockeyplayer, and congratulations on Day 2(3?); glad you found your way back to SR.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hockeyplayer,

Welcome back and congratulations on Day 2.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back! 344 days proves you can do it once you get going, the trick is not to become complacent after a long stretch of sobriety, thinking that somehow you are cured.

I once did 5.5 years sober, on my own. Then I got tempted, thinking that after such a long stretch of sobriety I couldn't be an alcoholic. And now that I am older, and supposedly wiser, I could control it.

Wrong. Alcoholic quickly controlled me again, not the other way around.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

For me lving life as a non drinker the whole "alcoholic" thing is now no big deal. When I started getting sober I worried about that sort of thing a lot. I now notice the only people who make a big deal of someone not drinking is someone with their own issues.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just to reinforce everyone's feelings about being able to "Handle" it...forget it. You CANNOT "handle it". Even after a sustained 15 YEARS of sobriety...I caved and thought I could "handle it".

That was 15 year's AGO !...and I'am still trying to stop the madness.

"Cunning, Powerful and Baffling". Words ohhh sooo true!

Maybe 1 out of a thousand can handle it. ..but I have yet to hear of or meet anyone that did!

Dave